Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your inventions...

Re: Your inventions...

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    True. I shall have to get some. Thanks for your advice.
    I would not bother until they break. Not worth the effort
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Pity you didn't use black cable ties Charlie.
    Those aren't UV proof.

And seeing you such a good bloke I'll give you a great tradies secret.
    Trim the cable ties tags with a trimming knive flush to the squarish grippy bit of the cable tie. Doing it that way will not leave a dagger to catch you, stab you and then cut you causing the claret to pour profusely out of your body.

Other then that what a great idea.
    And the proof is in your trailer. If that's all the rust after 8 years been left in the weather then goodo I say
    Squarish grippy bit.........................there's a technical term if ever I heard one......................

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I would not bother until they break. Not worth the effort

Understood thanks. Nonetheless, I only used these because that was all I had at hand in the larger sizes. You have just reminded me to write down cable ties for my next shopping trip.

A multiplicity of thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Squarish grippy bit.........................there's a technical term if ever I heard one......................

Mike
    The full technical term is Squarish clicky grippy bit

Ian

Does this look like anything from around the house ?
    How about the second pic ?

Its one of those desk filing 'in/out" trays.

Was staring at it on the desk one day and had a stupid thought...and when i measured it up it was an uncanny fit if cut in half for the shelf without too much fiddling.
    No idea why i did it...just one of those dumb things u decide to do on spur of the moment.
    Need to tidy up some trim and get some plastic tackle trays.
    Dont do this ...more trouble than its worth.
    Buy them lol.

Preamble

"Keep warm or you will catch pneumonia!" is what my dear old Mum used to tell me consistently when she was alive.

As I get older, I know that I should heed the words of Mum more than I did/do. I have never had pneumonia but I am only just now getting over a very bad cold that I contracted when I went fishing on a very cold night about three weeks ago.

So , during that time when I have not been game to go fishing again, I have been doing all sorts of fix-ups and little jobs around the boat that might make my fishing experience a little better.

This one is not earth shattering and took all of five minutes to do but in the spirit of this thread, I am showing it anyway.

Detail

My little aluminium runabout has a good big solid bait board at the rear of the boat but I usually get too lazy to want to stand up and use it all of the time. Instead, I usually prefer to used a small domestic cutting board on top of an upturned bucket or on top of an esky or more usually, on top of the gunwale.

I have just formalised this latter arrangement with a couple of narrow strips of white perspex that will serve as cutting boards and which are secured to the gunwales with double-sided tape as shown below.

The strips of perspex were factory off-cuts obtained from the Reverse Garbage shop at West End in Brisbane for $1.20 each. They were as you see the one in the photo except that they have a protective plastic film on both sides that needs to be peeled off. ie no cutting to shape or rounding of the edges is involved if you can find pieces there to suit you.

The double sided tape is a cheapie that Bunnings often have on sale in their aisles. This tape is a bit thicker and a lot more sticky than their premium 3M brand stuff and so whilst I have not taken the boat out with these perspex pieces in place yet, I am pretty confident that the perspex will stay in place in all weathers. Using generous amounts of the tape is no big deal as the el cheapo stuff is quite cheap.

I have installed a couple of the perspex strips on either side of the boat to suit usage from rear and front seats.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

I would still use my big bait board if I were taking fillets off a mullet or tailor for bait but for little jobs like cutting a pilchard in half, a lump of perspex on top of the gunwale is very suitable.

Brought myself a $5 sink from a Garage Sale earlier this year, but $80 worth of copper plumbing fittings later - and presto, my new filleting table. Have since added a $10 shower rack underneath the sink to take the soap, towel, detergent, brush etc. Also cut up some marine ply to have as my fillett board on top of sink. All the scraps go into a bag in the bin and hence no smell later. Only blood of the board is washed down the sink. Waste water straight into my garden bed on other side of fence. Cheers, Darren

And one more invention i suppose - have just extended my old baitboard higher and back out of the cockpit area to give me more room. Made from 40mm aluminium pipe - i think the little extension has done the trick well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    Brought myself a $5 sink from a Garage Sale earlier this year, but $80 worth of copper plumbing fittings later - and presto, my new filleting table. Have since added a $10 shower rack underneath the sink to take the soap, towel, detergent, brush etc. Also cut up some marine ply to have as my fillett board on top of sink. All the scraps go into a bag in the bin and hence no smell later. Only blood of the board is washed down the sink. Waste water straight into my garden bed on other side of fence. Cheers, Darren
    Love it Darren,

It would be much funnier if it drained into the neighbours back yard!!!

Stevo
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

removable bait board in the tinnie..

Bait board made out of acrylic offcuts and plastic plumbing pipe. Stainless screws drilled , glued with loctite and pipe glued with araldyte. Works a treat, but lost a couple of rod holders.

I recently had to replace my switchboard enclosure and switches in the tinnie.

I decided to use a single switch to control both red/green sidelights as well as all-around white light.
    I bought a double-pole double-throw switch to do the job.
    It is essentially two switches side-by side in one unit.
    The pic below is a smaller example of what I used.

When switch is in center position it is off.
    Power from fuse to 'C'
    Bridge 'C' to 'D' so that both halves of the switch have power.
    Bridge 'A' to 'E' so whether you have the switch up or down, 'A' & 'E' will be ON
    Connect all-around white to 'A'
    Connect sidelights to 'B'

I mounted my switch vertically, with 'AB' end at the bottom, 'EF' end at the top.
    I match the switch direction with my anchor.
    Anchor up, switch up = red/green + all-around white ON.
    Anchor down, switch down = Only all-around white ON.
    Center position = all OFF.

I also installed a spring-loaded switch normally OFF to control the bilge pump.
    It saves the pump being knocked on and left on accidentally as you are motoring along with no water in the bilge and the pump overheats and burns out.

To operate the bilge pump I have to hold the switch ON. Release the switch and its OFF.

I have always struggled as to where I stick lures that are used and changed during a session. Obviously don't want to stick them back in the box untill they have been washed. My solution was weather sealing strip, bought for less than a $1 from clark rubber. Foam tape that has adhesive one side. Just cut to length and stick to relevant spots in boat where it won't get in the way. I have a couple in front of the console and a few down the back for the deckie. When lure is used, stick the hook/treble into the strip and they hold there. I leave mine there so it can be used later or even for the trip home so it can be washed with the boat and even dried there. Works a treat. Lures are stored, don't get tangled up or rattle around the floor to target toes. Mine is 18mths old and I haven't had to replace it yet.

Also excellent for flies used during a session too.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    My solution was weather sealing strip, bought for less than a $1 from clark rubber. Foam tape that has adhesive one side.

That is a great idea, Steve.

Many thanks.

for a hand held spotlight...they usually come with a fitting for a cigarette lighter.
    The ciagrette lighter sockets usually corrode quickly in a salt environment.
    I have mounted a standard GPO on a mounting block in the tinny..cut the cig lighter fitting off the spotlight and fitted a plug top..very simple to use and much longer lasting.