Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ocean Acidification - a VERY scary scenario!

Re: Ocean Acidification - a VERY scary scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    I use co2 on my coral aquarium too, but the way it is used does not adversely affect the pH. However, if the house is closed up, the increase in atmospheric co2 inside the house DOES adversely affect the pH. Draw from that what you will.
    Dave.
    Dave, do you know what level the CO2 gets to when your house is locked up?

Do you know that it is a CO2 buildup and not something else causing the issue when you lock up?

And what is the degree of change in pH when you close up the house.

400 million years ago those corals evolved, when atmospheric CO2 was at 2000ppm +. If your tank is affected, it would be interesting to know what the level gets to...

Sorry, but all those facts need to be known before I can draw any conclusion.:grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Yeah, I know what your saying Tim. I don't know all of the details of CO2 levels in the house when locked up, which I guess technically makes my argument null and void. But it is generally believed (I'll refrain from using the word 'fact') that with respiring animals in an enclosed space, the CO2 levels will rise and oxygen levels fall over time. The pH should sit around 8.2 - 8.3 given exposure to correct atmospheric conditions and good gas exchange, but I have seen my tank as low as 7.8 after being closed up for a day. I don't know of any other factors that would influence the pH to that extent, but like I said, I'm no expert.

It would be interesting to know what CO2 levels would have to get to have that sort of influence on the ocean and if we are even capable of releasing enough to have that impact.

I still believe that it's all guesswork we are hearing based on individual scientists biased view on the world. But I also believe that if we can reduce our impact on the planet, then that is a good thing, but I think we are going the wrong way about it. Population control is the only thing that will work in the long run, there has to be a limit to the number of humans this planet can support. I don't want to be around when that limit is reached.

Dave.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...t/329/5990/428

Very technical, but what this is saying is that they've found evidence of creatures adapting to acidifaction rather than dying out, at a time when there was rapid and massive increase in CO2 levels as a result of extreme volcanic activity.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.