Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garlic cream prawns Perfected

Garlic cream prawns Perfected

I've been try to make the perfect garic cream prawns for years.
    I spoke to my brother the other day about not quite getting it right and he gave me this receipe [he's a cheff] .

Green prawns peeled fresh crushed garic olive oil.
    allow to maranaid for 4hr or more.

Boil water add pasta till cooked.
    In a pan add prawns and maranaid and start cooking.
    Then use a white wine a splash here and there while cooking the prawns.
    It stops the garlic from burning and adds a new flavour.
    When cooked add cream more splashes of white wine.
    Drain pasta put back into pot add cream more wine and prawn mix and serve.

I had this tonight and it is the best I've ever had.

13 green prawns
    2 cloves of garlic
    20 to 50 ml of olive oil.?
    50 to 100 ml white wine ??
    150 ml cream.?
    Salt
    1 Bowl of cooked pasta.

All adjustable to your own tast.

If you can do better please tell.

Thumbs up Re: Garlic cream prawns Perfected

Sounds great mate, I will give it a go.

Re: Garlic cream prawns Perfected

I did garlic cream prawns for a steak topper last night, was very nice, but the sauce was probably a bit thick, will definitely give this one a go, good on you swampman

cheers Mouse/Dennis
    Barra, Boars, Bundy & bare arsed
    cottersfnq@yahoo.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'm drooling mate i could go that feed any time

Good stuff.
    Your brother did the right thing by you and brought you right back to basics.
    Often basics are the best way to go

I tried it with a bit of chilli sauce, it turned out great, thanks again!

I also add a teaspoon of dry mustard powder to the sauce.

did this up today similar and was pretty good.

Thanks mate, goes great with fresh caught banana prawns, bloody beauty

slight variation on that recipe that I did up for my brother and sister in law, just to welcome them back from a month in Europe and re introduce them to good ole Aussie seafod.

Morgans had green tiger prawns on special for $20 a kilo...and they looked sooo fresh....so I bought a kilo and a half.

headed and shelled 1kg for the garlic prawns and 500g headed and shelled (tails left on) for the prawn cutlets as an entree.

it was a last minute decision to do it so no time for marinating.....and as it was good friday...nothing else was open to get any fresh herbs.

A splash of good quality xtra virgin olive oil in a heavy based fry pan over medium heat, a knob of butter (about a table spoon)...when the butter has melted put the prawns in....cook until the flesh is white ALMOST to the centre of the prawn, then turn prawns over, put in about three cloves of finely sliced garlic, some sea salt and black pepper. When the prawns are almost cooked, tip in a container of light cooking cream (get it at woolies....the one with the green cap - it only comes in one size)....turn the heat down to simmer.....add a squeeze of lemon juice and a splash of white wine (hint here...dont use a heavily wooded wine...sav blanc i find is perfect)......then just before you take it off the heat....a handfull of your preferred herb as a garnish....friday night I used Shallots (the green bits finely sliced).....But normally i would used coriander, flat leaf parsley....or basil..depending on what i can get my hands on or what the guests did or didnt like (sis in law hates coriander).

This was served over boiled rice, with a wilted Bok Choy in Oyster, garlic and ginger sauce....garnished with toasted sesame seeds....as a side. So a bit of fusion happening

Number one Niece doesnt eat seafood......but she pinched some of the creamy garlic sauce out of the pan to put on the crumbed chicken breast fillet I did for her.

All up cost of the meal was about $45.......for six people.

Oops - forgot - brother also did a home made fried rice - so add $5 to the cost.

And it is SIMPLE cooking....and very basic.

Update on the above recipe with a twist.

Decided to do this tonight for the sis and bro in law. Went shopping for the prawns and cream (banana prawns on special @ $15 a kg). Got everything I needed (assuming we had olive oil in the pantry).

Prep all the ingredients. peel and devein the prawns, picking out the biggest to be done as prawn cutlets, chop the garlic and shallots, beat the eggs, put the crumbs in the bowl, deep frypan on the stove top, deep frier heating up.

Start getting condiments out of pantry to line up for use.............holy crap...the olive oil bottle is empty....i hate it when people put empty bottle back in the pantry. Ok...what to do.....dive into the stash of things that have been given as gifts over the years (all my relos know I love cooking so they are always giving me 'cottage' type things to try). AAAAHHHHH......Macadamia oil infused with lemon myrtle...now this could be interesting.

Substituted it for the olive oil....added a bit of lemon grass...a little more salt than i would normally use.....and even my brother in law (who is extremely reluctant to give praise of any sort) raved over it. I also added coriander as a garnish.....so as a fusion dish the only non asian ingredients were the oil and the cream.

Amazing what you can make when you have to substitute at the last minute.

Greg

Greg
    Nice pick up on the damage control. Nothing worse when your on the job and your down to your last drizzel from the bottle...(geez glad I cleaned that up)

cheer's.
    Gav.

aah, you sure its not the generous partaking of the white wine in between sloshes in to the cooking pan that makes it all taste pretty darn good ?

Feral....that has no doubt accounted for many rave reviews over various meals...and yes I do like to make sure the wine being used is of the right quality....which is why I rely on others feedback on the finished product. And just like most of us fishermen...you only brag about your successes....not the epic failures (of which there are many in my case).

Yes i do have a sense of humour, and i take your post in the humour it was meant.

Alls Good

Cheers

Greg

Hi Maddac,
    I tried adding a bit of curry powder tonight to my garrlic cream prawn recipe.
    Although Im not a big curry fan and only tried it on 1/2 the batch I must admit that was good and worth the risk.'
    Thanks