Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garlic cream prawns Perfected

Re: Garlic cream prawns Perfected

I had the ex wife up for the last few days and had a go at this recipe, gota say that it was a real leg opener.
    thanks for the tips
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Yeah, not bad, I cooked it up. Problem I found it was too liquidy.

The only thing I do different is I probably use 4-5 cloves of garlic and add a couple of chopped spring onions towards the end of the cooking... I'm hungry!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Yeah, not bad, I cooked it up. Problem I found it was too liquidy.
    Most likely you didn't let it reduce enough or you used way to much wine.

As swampman said Bondy. A lot of people dont reduce their sauces long enough to get the right consistency....its one of those things where you have to play it by sight rather than following an exact timing as stove top temperatures are guidelines, and every stove is different. And it must be a simmer not a boil (I prefer mine just under simmering - which can be hard to achieve unless you watch it like a hawk. If it goes to a hard boil you may cause the cream to seperate.

And also go easy on the wine..too much (in the dish) can overpower it - and also mean it takes too long to reduce and may toughen up the prawns - even though this is a fairly forgiving recipe on that issue.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by aussiefool View Post
    I had the ex wife up for the last few days and had a go at this recipe, gota say that it was a real leg opener.
    thanks for the tips
    Classic! Fraught with danger, but classic.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiefool View Post
    thanks for the tips

I cant understand why you didn't just hit her over the head with the empty bottle...

Would have been the only way it would have happened with my ex,

but then I would have had to have brained myself with the bottle as well,

for the same reason.

Muzz

Pretty spot on with the recipies there.. couple of tricks though to get it just perfect(i think anyway) when you put the prawns in the pan first, always use butter mixed with a little oil as this will raise the burning temp of the butter. dust them lightly in flour first and this will help seal them keeping in the moisture. take the prawns out and set aside when only half cooked. clean the pan lighly with a cloth and use a small amount of butter to lightly fry the garlic (be carefull not to colour the garlic or it will discolour the sauce. add the white wine and reduce it till 10% of its original volume. If you don't reduce the wine enough it will put a raw wine taste through which is bloody awful. next add the cream simmer till at near the right consistency then add the prawns, the flour will thicken the sauce slightly further and serve immediately... my fave garnish is simple chopped green shallots.
    I was a chef for 12 years and cooked fancy food for the tofs in Syd.. now i go fishing LOL
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!