Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Smokers

Re: BBQ Smokers

Gday horse, the mother in law gave us a hark( 2 door), we've had it for almost 12 months and have only used it as an oven, ive got some sweetlip and cod fillets that I'm going to have a go at smoking, I have also got some Spanish cutlets! I have some rosewood offcuts! We are going to give it a crash test and see how it goes, would you have some suggestions on brining techniques, that would be a simple starting point? Cheers andrew

1/2cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Litre water
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 cup Soy Sauce

I make sure all of the Blood meat iscleaned from the Fish, leave it in the brine for about 4 to 6 hours, dry offwith a Paper Towel and it is ready to smoke, you will need to muck around a bitto get it how you like it, maybe more Salt, or less Sugar longer in the brine, or less time, and how long to smokeand so on.

Thanks Noelm, we ended up using some Spanish, cobia and some black Jew! I put some pepper on some, then rubbed salt on others and some brown sugar on others again, just trying to change it up to see what would work! Some fillets were thicker than others! We covered some trays with alfoil then lay the fillets on them, we had the smoker on as low as it would go and was about 80 degrees in temp! We put them in for an hour, let them stand for 1/2 an hour and tried them! We were surprised at how good most of it tasted! The Spanish was the best by far with the rest still very edible, we ended up with a great feed! With a few more trial runs hopefully we can get it really happening! Cheers andrew

Yep, that's the way, trial and error, I find the best fish down this way is Australian Salmon, usually almost a rubbish species, but smoked, they come out great, and Mullet when I can get the big ones, also done some Slimy Mackeral, more often considered bait, but I butterfly filleted them, like English Kippers (kind of) and they were spectacular, when I am up north, Spotty Macks are by far the best smoked fish there is. Just as a side note, you can buy that yellow stuff they flavour the supermarket smoked fish with, it comes out very good, but it is not cooked in any way, just dipped in flavoured dye, and then you just simmer it in some milk, the place that packages the stuff is about 40mins drive from me, and I call in now and then and buy some.

Yeah thanks noelm, I appreciate your time! I once ate dart over at straddy one weekend, we had a kiwi fella camping with us and he had a simple little smoker with him, that dart tasted awesome, I'll never forget that! I had smoked cobia for lunch today with a nice easy salad, it was mickey mouse! Cheers andrew

Good to see you had some success. I'm right into the low and slow smoker gig at the moment with an offset and a Kamado to give a bit of variety.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Cheers horse, I just got in from catching a good boar for the chiller! The only drama I have now is that ive used up all my Spanish jack, the cobia and jew was alright but the mack was real good! I don't really know what you mean by offset and kamado but low and slow sounds good! My wives uncle smokes turkey and pig legs for us, they come up a treat! Ive had the smoker for ages, just had to pull my finger out! Cheers

Cheers horse, I just got in from catching a good boar for the chiller! The only drama I have now is that ive used up all my Spanish mack, the cobia and jew was alright but the mack was real good! I don't really know what you mean by offset and kamado but low and slow sounds good! My wives uncle smokes turkey and pig legs for us, they come up a treat! Ive had the smoker for ages, just had to pull my finger out! Cheers

Just on a similar theme, I am looking for some plans to make one of those US style smoker/slow cooker BBQ things you see on those BBQ Pittmaster type shows on TV, I often wondered if you got a good location in a major city if you could get enough business to run a successful BBQ restaurant sort of thing, serving "Texas" sized ribs and steaks and stuff, all cooked in your big cooker, lightly smoked, juicy and tender as...

Its taking off big time at the moment. I'm going in a Low n Slow BBQ comp at Port Macquarie next month. Nearly 50 teams from all round Australia. Noel, the big offsets you are talking about are constant work so for commercial use most use what they call a pellet smoker that is pretty automatic
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I knocked up one of these recently for the weber, put a water tray in the square cutout and I am getting 5-6 hrs at 100deg without having to replenish coals. Do have to keep water tray topped up. Round holes are for adding wood or more coals if needed.IMG_3198.jpg

Top your water up. It helps provide the nice pink smoke ring and keeps the meat moist. It can also shorten cooking time and stabilize temperature around the 100C mark
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Its taking off big time at the moment. I'm going in a Low n Slow BBQ comp at Port Macquarie next month. Nearly 50 teams from all round Australia. Noel, the big offsets you are talking about are constant work so for commercial use most use what they call a pellet smoker that is pretty automatic
    What date for the comp at Port? I might see if I can go and have a look.

Its March 27th/28th. Some pretty serious guys there
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

sounds interesting, might spend a weekend up there and have a bit of a look at the BBQ comp, is it in Port itself?