Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Cakes

Fish Cakes

Does anyone have a fish cake recipe that they can share ????
    Just want to try something different ; not difficult

Cheers Graham

Re: Fish Cakes

Hi Graham
    Something i haven't made for ages. Yummmmmm

My mum makes hers using a can of Salmon but if you can get some fish fillets you can mince your own fish. Whiting works good.
    She adds a good cup or so of mashed potato without the milk and butter, an egg, breadcrumbs if the mix is abit soft and doesn't hold together. Salt and pepper and a diced onion. Roll them in more breadcrumbs. Bought are fine but i prefer to make my own-- think the flavour is better. The secret is getting them to hold together and not break apart when cooking.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

I make thai ( my version anyway ) fish cakes a fair bit using tailor, kingfish or trevally but any fish will do really.

I chuck about 1kg fish fillet into the blender so the fish is chopped but not a paste.
    Then chop about 1/2kg green prawns into little pieces and add to fish.
    To this add 3 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped, a good chunk of ginger ( 4cm ) grated, 1 or 2 kaffir lime leaves finely chopped, some finely sliced shallots and 2 teaspoons + of red curry paste. Mix it all together well and its done.
    To cook them just spoon the mix into a frying pan with peanut oil and flatten them out a bit. I generally cook one as a taste test and make any changes that are needed.
    You can add a few other things like chillis ( i cant because of my 4 yr old son ), fish sauce to give it a bit more kick, snake beans cut up but i prefer just the fish and the list goes on from there.

does anyone know of any recipes for fork tailed catfish

Really the only fish you would consider making fish cakes is an oily fish like mackeral or tuna.

And for All who think catching small fish and mincing them to make fish cakes is a joke. I personally only use Mackeral and you can lituallly spoon the flesh of the fish.

Also i would add 20% pork minced to firm it up the flesh. Add pepper and salt

If you fillet your catfish and skinned them, you can pass them onto to your inlaws as Snapper. Atlantic snapper

Deepfried,

Do your fish cakes hold together well or are they a bit crumbly.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

the texture of your fishcakes can be varied by adding more egg or breadcrumbs, if the mixture is right, they will hold together great, just like making rissoles but with fish.

I've got a recipe at home in a Thai cookbook that is simple to make and they are pretty tasty. It is similar to deepfried's recipe above from the look of it. I'll try to post it tonight.

I need to get out and catch some fish...... I really want fishcakes now.......

Here it is.
    450g fish
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    1 Tbsp thai red curry paste
    3 kaffir limes leaves, shredded or 2 Tbsp lime zest
    2 Tbsp fish sauce
    1 Tbsp cornflour
    2 tsp sugar
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    50g chopped green beans
    Oil for frying

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Deepfried,

Do your fish cakes hold together well or are they a bit crumbly.
    They hold together well. I have since started adding a bit of corn flour like stonkered recipe says and they hold even better.

I tried stonkered fish cakes on the weekend. I added the 2 eggggs (big bastards) and this made the mix quite runny, so I added a bit more corn flour and some bread crumbs. I loved them but my Alli said they were tooo hot, so I ate hers as well.
    Yummy.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

I have heap of mackerel fillets left from Gladstone trip that are getting a bit old in the freezer so will try the fish cake recipes too - thanks everyone.

Catfish....my absolute favourite freshwater fish...just skin/fillet, flour and straight into frypan with some butter/oil.......I dont eat any other freshwater fish, and its been years since I had a cattie...YUM YUM YUM!!

i made stonkered fish cakes last night, the flavour was geat...... but they were a little bit tough/rubbery? Never used a processor before, maybe they were over worked? any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    i made stonkered fish cakes last night, the flavour was geat...... but they were a little bit tough/rubbery? Never used a processor before, maybe they were over worked? any ideas?
    I think thats how thai fish cakes are..

Hi
    if you can get hold of one of those old fashioned hand mincers to mince your fish i reckon. picked one up at a garage sale for ten bucks and it works better than any electric blender.

Mackerel should be great and also have made patties out of whiting.

Whats with all the hot flavours and things. Defeating the purpose of tasting the fish if you ask me.

lol
    Ronnie

Every thai fish cake I have ever had, from a multitude of thai restaurants over the years, have always had a 'rubbery' texture. I think thats the way they are meant to be. I havent bothered to make em because I am the only person I know that likes em - surrounded by a bunch of wooses when it comes to hot things.

Greg