Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palm Beach(QLD) reef

Re: Palm Beach(QLD) reef

always somone who herd from another guy about a big shark who took another guys fish while spearing, bah hahahahaah yey lets try an scare the spearos.
    from the local reefs with a shark story nice one,

nothing a shark shield wont fix ;-)
    I support catch and release fishing, Keeping the natives native

Sharks and Spaniards go hand in hand - you need two blokes in the water- one to shoot the fish the other to scare away the sharks- If you are a bit weary buy a shark shield - they work excellent for me. You don't know what your missing - total adrenaline rush.

Here is my last effort just under 24kg- make sure you have a float line, float anf flag on it so no one runs you over as well. These things will tow you around. As always common sense prevails- if you see a tiger shark get out of the water

nice fish, where was it taken? ocean looks a bit flat for around here yesterday!
    I support catch and release fishing, Keeping the natives native

Quote Originally Posted by devocean View Post
    Here is my last effort just under 24kg- make sure you have a float line, float anf flag on it so no one runs you over as well. These things will tow you around. As always common sense prevails- if you see a tiger shark get out of the water

very very nice fish devo!

few mackerel steaks in the freezer? yum. one of the better eating fish goin around. i rate them up there with red emps and coral trout.

A Shark Shield is the way to go.
    After having a shark grab my fish holding float and dragging me backwards a couple of meter, I bought one.
    Now I feel safer and a lot less worried about the shark sneaking up from behind.

The only problem is keeping the other divers from swimming so close. Any closer and they would be inside my wetsuit with me.

Why get worried - he lost the fish, not his life or limb. This is not that uncommon spearing, as long as you have a structured, safe plan for this situation you can still enjoy your spearing.

Harden up Defore, If you're worried about sharks take up a new sport. Part of the challenge is succeeding in the fish' realm not encasing ourselves in armor and taking the risk out of the sport. Most times its cool but sometimes it isn't. Thats the nature of the sport.

I would use a submarine if I was sure the sharks didn't have can openers.

Lol... fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Harden up Defore, If you're worried about sharks take up a new sport. Part of the challenge is succeeding in the fish' realm not encasing ourselves in armor and taking the risk out of the sport. Most times its cool but sometimes it isn't. Thats the nature of the sport.
    The nature of spearfishing isn't to take risks with sharks, or risks what-so-ever, anyone who becomes complacent in any aspect of freediving and spearfishing will find out the hard way. Giving sharks respect in their natural environment is a good idea.

Had a 10ft tiger snatch this 2m off the back of my boat a few years ago... have a look where do you think this was

You guys are game to be in the water when the macks are on
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I'd be more worried about the multitude of boats above with lines floating about everywhere at Palmy then the noah's from below.
    The place has more boats then Springwood Marine on a fine day.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Chris, not sure what you mean?? Do you think diving without a shark shield is being complacent and not giving sharks their due respect? If so then 90% of spearos out there are guilty. I don't recall where i said that we should not respect sharks. Not worrying about sharks certainly shouldn't be interpreted as the same as being complacent. My point, that you seem to have missed, was that if you are so worried about getting eaten that you want to wear some sort of electronic shark shield then maybe you should consider another sport. Why don't we all wear scuba tanks so as to avoid the risk of blacking out ?? In fact why don't we just shoot the fish from the comfort of our boats as they school on the surface and then we will never get eaten or drown. The same logic applies.