Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: research boat cape moreton area?

research boat cape moreton area?

Does anyone know the research boat going around the cape moreton area in summer for the last couple of years???? its a big white older shark cat with two yamahas on the back with big black writing research on the side! he comes over to each boat about 20 mtrs away and photographs you and looks at you taking details of your boat and doesnt wave or respond to any radio calls, does any one know what department or who they are????, and this is nowhere near a green zone at hutchies for example. just curious if anyone has encountered this boat
    cheers jim

Re: research boat cape moreton area?

that sounds a bit strange Jim........Maybe you should of showd them a full moon and see if there so keen for a pic then..lol
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Jim

I have worked within the marine and fisheries research community since '93 with a whole host of of different universities and government agencies. At all times when on the water "researching" the boat is required to be marked as such, which the boat you are seeing is doing right - but should also display a banner such as UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND or CSIRO and research permit numbers such as QPI&F Permit # AAAAA99 / DERM Permit # BBBB77. So to me, it is a bit weird that if they are getting that close your not seeing where they are from - that is some other banner or labelling on the vessel.

Yeah saw them about six weeks ago at Hutchies, cruised around all the boats just looking around it seemed. Didn't see them taking photo's that day, was three on board in i think EPA uniforms. Gave them a wave and they waved back then just carried on, didn't really think much of it as hadn't seen them before.

Hi Jim

Have not seen the boat in question, however I would not like any agency/body taking photos' of me, my crew or my boat, I would be very surprised if they are legally able to do so, it gives the impression that you are doing something illegal.

Go over to them and request them to state their business, if they did not obilge I would be very inclined to tell them to pi$# off, and quite within your rights to do so.

Have a good new year.

Cheers

Bill

I think you would be well within your rights to approach them and ask for ID, permits etc if they are taking photos of you, I would also be putting a call in to VMR stating the situation and their vessel rego. Keep your ass covered at all times. Not saying you are doing anyting wrong...but who knows what they are up to?

Greg

They also photographed my boat at smiths last wednesday,at first i thought it was a police boat coming over for a safety check ,but they stopped took a picture waved & pissed off.

jason

Sounds like they are mapping the areas fished by number, what better way to get the general marks of the majority of Anglers than to hunt them down.

May not be polite but certainly legal, after all what are they going to do, they have a solid no faith vote from the majority of educated anglers so asking for them will not work, aerial reconnaissance is too expensive even when compared to scaring or unsettling the public.

There must be some more of that 'stuff' about to flow out from the end of the pipe placed above every anglers head...

Still I do not get the photo idea.....very strange, unless they plan on a propaganda drop/research questionnaire based on each rego or a suspected poacher database.....you just never know these days
    Someone needs to get a photo and post it on here .

Sheesh we put up with a lot...not quite china yet.

cheers fnq

More green zones on the way?....Nothing worse then getting botherd while your having a fish. If you wanted them to come fishing with you you would of asked.
    How many times do you get pinged by other boaties when your fishing? Sometimes i feel like pulling anchore and following them. Wait for them to anchore then do the same thing.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

was it the "Tom Marshall? out of Scarborough?

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    was it the "Tom Marshall? out of Scarborough?
    I doubt it would be, given the colour and donks on the back described by Capt Rednut

No, was not the Tom Marshall. I saw them on Wednesday, they pulled up alongside us as we were trolling, took photos and hung around for about 5 minutes. Was extremely annoying and quite unprofessional I thought as they didnt seem to be wearing uniforms. Would love to know who it was and how to contact them, as I resolve to whinge more in 2010 and they could be the first......

sounds like someone's trying out a stealth way to pick up some new fishing marks........

Hi The Blokes Onboard Were Not Wearing A Uniform And It Wasent The Tom Marshall From Scarborough, The Main Thing That Concerns Me Is What Evidence Are They Gathering To Hold Against Us Fisherman In The Future, They Have Approached Me South Of Shallow Tempest This Time Last Year And At The Cape A Month Ago And At Hutchies A Couple Of Days Ago, A Mate Of Mine Was Approached 6nm East Of Flinders. So They Get Around.
    Cheers Jim

Get an S.L.R (I do mean camera) with a dirty big scope sorry I meant lens on it and take shots of them. And see how they like it
    I am not an Angler I am an Athlete of the sea.............<><