Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra Basics – Pop Quiz

Barra Basics – Pop Quiz

No doubt everyone has heard the stories of someone pulling up at the boat ramp blowing up their inflatable boat and catching a metre plus Barra less then 100 metres from the ramp, it happens and that’s fishing but…….for those that spend some time at it we all will have a ‘system’ or preference (wether you currently recognise it or not) on how we go about catching (and releasing) these magnificent fish.

I’m not looking for your secret spot ‘x’ or your ‘golden egg’ lure modification but being relatively new to the game I am interested in hearing (and learning) from those more experienced than I so….. here’s the quiz.

You have 100 points to spend, you can spend as many as you want in any category but you must spend them all ( and no more) in order to catch a Barra

There could be a myriad of categories (some may wish to add more) but I have tried to keep it very very basic for this excersize.

Categories

1- Location , based on current /wind /structure / weed / depth etc
    2- Timing , seasonal/dawn/dusk/wind changes / fish ‘windows’ etc/ bait activity/gut feel etc
    3- Tackle , braid and leader size / outfit size and balance /quality
    4- Operator ability, cast length /accuracy / finesse /touch / ass??/ x factor etc
    5- Barra Lure selection , hardbody /soft / brand / lure mods etc
    6- Retrieve Technique, speed / pauses / twitches/ rips/ cadence etc.

How will you spend your 100 points??

I’ll start , here's mine

1- 35
    2- 20
    3- 10
    4- 15
    5- 5
    6- 15

Re: Barra Basics – Pop Quiz

Interesting concept Gaz ....... I'm struggling a little with it as I keep changing my mind - but here goes

1- Location , based on current /wind /structure / weed / depth etc 25
    2- Timing , seasonal/dawn/dusk/wind changes / fish ‘windows’ etc/ bait activity/gut feel etc 40
    3- Tackle , braid and leader size / outfit size and balance /quality 5
    4- Operator ability, cast length /accuracy / finesse /touch / ass??/ x factor etc 15
    5- Barra Lure selection , hardbody /soft / brand / lure mods etc 5
    6- Retrieve Technique, speed / pauses / twitches/ rips/ cadence etc. 10
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, thanks for the quick reply.

In order to expedite the learning process it would make more sense to concentrate on the larger ( the higher numbered) pieces of the puzzle first and get a good handle on those to improve strike rates.

Interesting that you also rate lure selection fairly low also

Quote Originally Posted by gaz066 View Post
    Chris, thanks for the quick reply.

In order to expedite the learning process it would make more sense to concentrate on the larger ( the higher numbered) pieces of the puzzle first and get a good handle on those to improve strike rates.

Interesting that you also rate lure selection fairly low also

Hi Gaz

The more I fish for these silver beauties ..... The more I am realizing that if conditions are right & you have found the fish - They will feed ....... A plastic or a hardbody ..... big or small - just keep casting & you are likely to get some interest.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Great idea Gaz. Should produce some interesting debate.
    1- Location , based on current /wind /structure / weed / depth etc 40
    2- Timing , seasonal/dawn/dusk/wind changes / fish ‘windows’ etc/ bait activity/gut feel etc 20
    3- Tackle , braid and leader size / outfit size and balance /quality 5
    4- Operator ability, cast length /accuracy / finesse /touch / ass??/ x factor etc 20
    5- Barra Lure selection , hardbody /soft / brand / lure mods etc 5
    6- Retrieve Technique, speed / pauses / twitches/ rips/ cadence etc. 10
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

1= 25
    2=25
    3=5
    4=15
    5=5
    6=25

I don't know with all this stuff but the only time I hear the barra in my dam is dawn and dusk so most of mine would be spent on timing
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

somewhere there abouts!!!

good one gazz., I hate adding up!!! but a good theory for statistics.

cheers Steve

Interesting?? all the talk about lures and tackle.....both rating the lowest so far!!....food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

somewhere there abouts!!!

good one gazz., I hate adding up!!! but a good theory for statistics.

cheers Steve

Interesting?? all the talk about lures and tackle.....both rating the lowest so far!!....food for thought
    Biatch ...... could be some thinking going on
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Steve, I guessed that would be a likely outcome ( it was always that way for me anyway ) , all the talk about lure mods and outfits etc the 'best bang for your buck' appears to be more around location, timing and technique. So.....the more time spent on the water learning to read it better , talking about currents etc the better the result , of course that's harder to do on the net but........

No1 Location In a spot that is quiet and looks fishy No2 Timing any time you pick up your beer No3 normaly the only rod on the boat without a leader on it No4 Operator Ability the only person in the boat that hasnt caught a barra No5 The dirty lure that you have never caught a fish on No6 your pissed as a cricket so two cranks then a swig two cranks then a swig then bang your on.

Interesting post Gaz..........Mind you some of those figures could change in a moments notice on any given day.......Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Whitto , interesting that you rate #4 Operator( angler) ability the lowest ?

90 points shared equally between 1, 2 and 4 and 10 shared equally between 3, 5 and 6

Crikey Gaz,

Don't make me think so hard, my brain might explode!

I'm going to go with 16.66 points per category. Because you have to have every aspect right to catch barra.

It takes a lot of time and experience to get everything right - then conditions change and its different on your next trip, or even the next day.

Thats all I got.

Matt