Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford Ranger and the Cape

Re: Ford Ranger and the Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Synful View Post
    Evening all,

Looking to buy a new Ford Ranger next year and although I know that it will handle everywhere that I want to go (Karumba, Weipa etc); the one place that I dream of heading to - Cape York, I'm really not 100% sure

Is there anyone here who has a Ranger and has done the trip?
    I'd like to know if you had to make any modifications to the Ranger for your trip and what they were. Likewise, if you did the trip and encountered problems I'd like to know about those as well.
    Andrew
    I hope i will answer your question at list 5 %.
    I got ranger XLt duel cab auto 5 speed and I think thay are excellent of road vehicles.
    I did not buy to do any 4X4 driving I just using for towing boat and it dose excellent job for me. So far i did 35000klm and no problem at all.
    My mates from work got ranger too and, he do bit off road driving at Stradey. Morton and lots of bush driving at Gold Coast and he say to me it is animal of road it is stock standard . Snorkel is only extra think on it .
    He done 115000 klm and no bolt missing yet or anything broken or lose just few scratches on side from bush driving, it is good as gold.

If you going good luck and have good time one day i will do that too

cheers myway
    Last edited by MyWay; 28-11-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Ian
    As surprising as it may seem to you
    we did do big red not little one.We got over first attempt from the western side, First time we were there my wife did big too and she is not a testosterone filled male type
    As for gunshot i am talking about the people who try to go up/down the almost vertical hole beside the track
    My wife also drove doth ways up to the cape so it is not overly difficult
    And yes we did the telegraph line not the easy way.

Maybee my puter doesnt put what i say,I have said on a few occasions one would be handy;
    jim

Its always hard to comment about 4wd upgrades. Its hard to gauge where and what the person wants to be able to do with it. But then it always comes back to the 4x4 and the drivers capabilities. An in experienced driver will always get into trouble. Which is a tribute to Jimbamb. Youve mate to a point that your happy with, with very little or no mods been done.

Alot of people fall for the name 4wd. And think they can go and do everything. But its all a lie. Its actually only a 2wd and gets stuck very easily. Lockers make it a true 4wd = double the capabilty and safety instantly with even touching the suspension or tyres.

Same with people argueing about traction control. Some are really bad and some are a bit better. They still dont come close to lockers. And the bad ones burn out the electronics and lock the brakes up leaving you stranded.

So the words 4WD/ALL WHEEL DRIVE and TRACTION CONTROL in a 4wd application are the real gimicks here.

Synful if you live in brissy, come out for a play and test run and we can look how she goes and what can make it better. Sometime very small and non costly mods.

Heres a vid for those who are only getting into 4x4ing now.

suspension 25% better
    tyres 25% better
    lockers 100% better

ben
    at last we sorta agree,i am quite happy with my vehicle as is,obviously if i could afford it i would have a locker,better tyres,snorkle,and better shocks ,but like a lot of others i cannot justify spending thousands of buks just to get a bit further/easier ,,
    btw i hope everyone is aware traction controll has nothing to do with a locker.have read interesting things about TC in sand..apparently sometimes the wrong info gets sent to the brakes creating all sorts of problems,but thats another story..
    when i win the lotto ill get you to quote on installing some goodies on my ol truck..
    jim

Noworries Jim.