Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

How do I book a ramp and car park at Yorkeys for 5am on the first calm day... whenever that is. Gonna need it!!!!!

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moffy View Post
    Great Fish for the inlet steve - especially this time of year and in the wind we've been getting!!! - Cast or Trolled??
    Caught casting Moffy. I couldn't believe it but gave me some inspiration to try and get the Inlet sussed properly. There are loads of good fish in there but it's easy to miss them.

Thanks for the kind words Robbo. Hopefully when the wind drops down I'll be able to get out the vid camera again.

Quote Originally Posted by MackerelMan View Post
    How do I book a ramp and car park at Yorkeys for 5am on the first calm day... whenever that is. Gonna need it!!!!!
    by getting there at 4am lol

Hi,

Just joined the site. I've been in Cairns for about 2 year or so.
    Iv'e got my own boat/boats and love getting out on the water <saltwater fisherman >, Ive gotta say between being a new comer to FNQ and working away I haven't really found it that easy to meet a good crowd of genuine people up here. So if anyone is keen for a beer give me a yell. I have all my own gear and love fishing,hunting,camping etc and most importantly I'M NOT OUT TO BLUDGE.

anyway just thought I would get it out there and see what happens.

Cheers Dave

Hi guys,

I fish out of Cooktown, it even blows harder up here I think but when I get out its worth it.
    Just starting to troll for some black marlin. Any one had any luck catching them? Any tips?

Cheers

you fishing heavy or light tackle mate? head onto blackmarlinblog if you havn't already, good way to see who is geeting what and where..

Where do I find the black marlin blog mate? I have looked at a few, great stories but not much in the way of what tackle they are using.
    I have a Shimano Tiagra 30W with 24kg string on stand up gear with a harness etc, just wondering what lure size/range is a good place to start. I have rigged up a few skip baits and have a few skirts but not sure if they are the right gear.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Thompson View Post
    Where do I find the black marlin blog mate? I have looked at a few, great stories but not much in the way of what tackle they are using.
    I have a Shimano Tiagra 30W with 24kg string on stand up gear with a harness etc, just wondering what lure size/range is a good place to start. I have rigged up a few skip baits and have a few skirts but not sure if they are the right

Cheers
    http://www.blackmarlinfishingblog.com/

cheers backhoe

Good reading just can't seem to find any tackle tips, trolling speeds etc etc

ive recently started chasing Marlin and caught a couple on my first go. Trolling skipping gars around six knots. Single hook, Mono leader about 300lb or more. If you dont have outriggers put your reel in free with the ratchet and use a rubber band wrapped around the line a few times and then wrapped over the tip. When a fish takes it count to ten before pushing the lever up.

Going to use bigger skip baits next but gars are easy to start with.

Head outside the reef and troll a contour line in 60 to 100m is probably a good start.

Im far from an expert but these are a few tips that worked for me. I put a clip in the video section of one from the other week

Hi Scuttlebutt

Have you had any success with Yellowfin Tuna out there and if so how are you going after them?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Yeah actually got one about 12kg last outing. Picked up a gar trolling a current line in about 70m. Had the gar running just behind the teaser.

sweet I really want to get into some of them. Only fished for them once out wide of Tongue. came onto a huge bird flock on the water and trolled straight thru with bibless minnows and got 20 kg and 2 10 kgs after 3 passes. never been back ! Crazy hey!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

They are hard to catch the yellow tail I have seen them up this way going crazy and havent caught a thing, got one about 10kg on a laser pro 190 2m bibbed red head gold body colour.

My mate on my boat got a nice long tail last week on a chrome pink laser pro 190. Good eating too.

The videos you make are great to watch Scuttle butt, cheers for the info.

Also how far back from the boat are you running your skip baits Scuttle?
    Cheers