Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo76 View Post
    Hey daz, do you fish with smarty? Barry.

Rob
    He's got a refurbished Haines 19R with a pod and Etec hasn't he?

Nice rig, seen him down the ramp some mornings - he is getting home and we are going out.

Pazz

Few of us still around!!!

Fish Cairns when have to.... -Usually aim to be further north (out from Wonga/Daintree otherwise - or Weipa!!!!)

Am finding it harder and harder to have a "secret spot" out of cairns - you spend the time to find some new country off the reef and it get's plotted by a handful of other boats within one or two trips (have even had boats come a few miles out of their way at night to plot the marks......) - hence prefer to go elsewhere when i can.

Moffy

Quote Originally Posted by Moffy View Post
    Few of us still around!!!

Fish Cairns when have to.... -Usually aim to be further north (out from Wonga/Daintree otherwise - or Weipa!!!!)

Am finding it harder and harder to have a "secret spot" out of cairns - you spend the time to find some new country off the reef and it get's plotted by a handful of other boats within one or two trips (have even had boats come a few miles out of their way at night to plot the marks......) - hence prefer to go elsewhere when i can.

Moffy
    I know exactly what you mean. I've got a couple of marks that I won't go to if there is another boat in sight. Really gives me the sh*ts. They might as well pull up next to you and ask for the coordinates.

Because once they know about it, they tell there mates and they flog the place to death every time they go out.

Pazz

On the creek side of things, anyone fished the Barron lately?

Looking for somewhere where I can fish in the afternoons after work (or maybe a sneaky session before work). Being so close to Cairns though it's probably flogged out though..

Richard

G'day Moffy,

Yep your right. "Secret spots" are hard to guard allright. I found some good ground in close with nannies on it, problem is you pull one in and before you know it there is a boat sitting beside you. I just drift my "spots" then move around the reef and come back later if too many about. It's kind of a pain, but it works.

Richard,

The Barron did ok for me last trip, was a while back. I pulled two barra from the mouth in the mangroves with live herring. My oldman caught one big jack in the same spot, dead bait. So I guess there is still some fish in there. A few guys catch good fish under the airport lights bridge at night. The place does get a hammering though!

Pazz,

Yeah, sh*ts me too mate. What can you do though, go on weekdays. I went out one weekend and the amount of boats out there was crazy. I didn't go anywhere near my marks, resulting in a below average days fishing. No more weekends for me!

Rob

Yeah - have had guys approach in middle of night with lights off - so couldn't tell where they were (other than engine noise) to turn the lights off briefly till they passed us by so they couldn't get our mark - then had them anchor on top of us - wish lead wasn't so dear - wouldn't have minded sending a few sinkers their way. (have had 9 boats anchor around us in half an hour out near Thetford one day too- cause we pulled up a fish as the first one drove past.....

As for after work spots - i usually rubbish the fishing in the inlet - but truth be told I've had some good sessions after work up there - 2 days in a row one week using only lures in short hour long session after workbefore dark - the tally was 3 jacks, a legal barra!!!! and a couple of solid cod (even got a hairtail on a lure!!) had a ball

Have also found ithe inlet fishes well mid week compared to weekend - fished a spot on a friday and got hammered with quality jacks - same spot next day same time of tide and same live bait - not a bite - but there had obviously been a lot of boats running around to put the fish off (sunday i don't even bother......)

Moffy

Moffy that's bloody low. Just cast your line into their boat mate, might hit one of the F***ing W**kers in the head. If they can't find fish/structure themselves, they should sell their boat and buy the bloody fish!

I guess there's no escape mate, we are surrounded by tossers everywhere!

Have a good one,

Rob

hope you boys have had a good day on the water today, sure looked good from the boat club

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    hope you boys have had a good day on the water today, sure looked good from the boat club

Daz
    Sure looked good until the sounder sh*t itself at the ramp this morning.

Put her back on the trailer and off home.

How much is a furuno 585 selling for in Cairns. Also need a through hull, cause there is a hole in the bottom of the old girl.

Let us know how you all go. I am very jealous.

Pazz

Hey guys, I went out last Monday. Did ok, 1 Goldspot cod a couple large mouth, a couple red throats and a few others. Lots of small stuff in between. I stuck to the deeper waters for these fish. The water was flat allright! but boy it was a hot day!

Rob

OK Boys enough small talk. I fish wide for nannys a lot at night. Does anyone have good success in the daytime? Not after your country but would like to know what depth you target, structure etc??

Odes20,

I have a couple spots that is not bad for daytime, I fish around the 40-50m mark on top of rubble. Well, more like mini pinnicles I guess. Two trips ago we pulled 8 nannies off it in the middle of the day. Not bad going!

Unknown if anyone catches them in the shallower stuff? I think the reds like the deeper waters.

Cheers,
    Rob

Thanks Robbo
    I have marks like that and deeper as well that fish really well for large mouth at night but i have never devoted a day to try them out , so I think its high time I tried them out. Do you berley as well?
    John

John, If you have marks like that you should find the nannies there during the day also mate. I tried a burley bomb once, but it kept opening up a couple meters down. I just use it for the shallow water now.

Rob

This thread is useless without marks....LOL!

cheers fnq