Thread: Crumbing with a twist

Crumbing with a twist

I have been lucky enough to be able to consistently get out over the last few months and as such have been looking at trying a few different things when cooking fish.

Tried this one last night with some snapper and trag fillets and thought it was very good.

For about a four person serve, use 2 cups of Japanese Panko crumbs combined with a sheet of nori (Japanese seaweed sheet for sushi). Prepare the nori by folding it a few times maintaining the length in the sheet. Then using kitchen scissors or a knife cut the sheet into thin long strands. Then cut the strands up further so you are left with a product that kind of resembles the shape of coarsely grated carrot. Mix the nori with the crumbs and then proceed as usual for crumbed fish.

I served with a salad of leaves, avo, and orange segments with a dressing made of chives, dijon, sherry vinegar, some juice from segmenting the orange, and olive oil. I also knocked up the best potato cakes/rosti i have ever done for a nice change to the old fish and chips. I can post this recipe if requested.

Re: Crumbing with a twist

consider it requested tug
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Potato Cakes

says to use waxy potatoes, we dont have the greatest range in our supermarkets but i used sebago and it came out fine.

For about 4 cakes about 10cm across i used 5 medium potatoes. Peel and put in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and bring it from cold up to the boil. When boiling, drain and allow to cool.

When cool enough to handle, coarsely grate the potatoes back into a coliander/sieve. then run some cold water over them before letting them drain.

Now this is the important part i think, because i never used to worry about it. Tip the potato into a clean tea towel and twist to squeeze out any remaining water.

Place the potato in a bowl with a beaten egg, 1/2 tbs of olive oil, 1tbs flour, season with salt and pepper and combine. Form into patties with hands and fry in a non-stick pan with a little oil on a medium heat until golden brown on both sides.

Mate your making me hungry.

I like those Panko breadcrumbs. They are very light and crisp. Did the Nori blacken up when you fried it?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

it did, and it was very fragrant while cooking. i must say im still smiling over the meal, i really enjoyed it.

Hi
    Does anyone make their potato cakes like this:::

Grate up about 4 medium spuds. About 4 cups. Add to this a couple of spoons of SR Flour, some salt and pepper and an egg. Mix it through. You can add another egg if too stiff or more flour if runny.

Heat up butter in frying pan and put in spoonfulls of mix. Flatten out a little and when nice and brown turn over. Great instead of chippies or mashed spud.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone make their potato cakes like this:::

Grate up about 4 medium spuds. About 4 cups. Add to this a couple of spoons of SR Flour, some salt and pepper and an egg. Mix it through. You can add another egg if too stiff or more flour if runny.

Heat up butter in frying pan and put in spoonfulls of mix. Flatten out a little and when nice and brown turn over. Great instead of chippies or mashed spud.

Ronnie
    Hi Ronnie,
    I'm 50 y.o. and my mum used to make them when I was a kid. (When dad was in strike at BHP). She used to put onion in them and bacon if we had any. I do them every now and again with a bit of garlic or even curry powder.
    Aussiefool
    Andrew

Hi Andrew
    My nan used to make them for me when I was a kid. They were mine and my uncles favorite. She used to put some onion and ham sometimes in hers but i like to make them plain with plenty of tomato sauce and really crispy.

Ronnie