Thread: removing mangroves to improve views?!?!

removing mangroves to improve views?!?!

Just come across this article in todays CM. Makes you bloody wonder what people find important in this world. Would be interested to hear from any residents down that way what there opinion is. With all the degradation of mangroves around the bay you would think that some grow back would be welcome (if you have any idea of the function of mangroves in the bay's ecosystem).

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...8-3102,00.html

Cheers.....Terry...........

Re: removing mangroves to improve views?!?!

As posted on CM website, what Cr Cumming does not think about is that a little here and there adds up to a lot...

More green zones will fix the problem

What is interesting, and rather diversionary I guess, is that "in the old days" there were no mangroves there. Just adds to the complexity and angst within the debate.

The reality is that wherever we have them, they MUST stay. I wonder whether there is really any hope for the improvement of the Bay, given the cost of really, actually, doing something on a scale that will matter.

Maybe it should just be filled up. It'd provide habitat for 1.2 million immigrant humans over the next 40 years, and resolve all our landfill requirements for that amount of time, too. Wouldn't have to worry about carparking for island residents, either...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

it is people like cummin and that idiot jackie butler who show how very little the human race has advanced
    years ago when there were bare foreshores at wynnum there was 1000s more hectares of mangroves across the rest of the area and as for the abundance of fish and crabs that went long ago with the mangove clearing, overfishing, pollution etc that has lead to todays low numbers of fish and crabs
    obviously some people can't be educated beyond their own stupidity and greed
    it has to stop somewhere
    maybe some harsh letters to the council could be a start

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

I suppose the Green Groups could actively go around PLANTING new mangroves around the place seeing all mangroves are protected. I can see a nice lush Raby Bay, Spinnaker Waters, Pacific Ocean and Newport Waterways forest coming along soon!!
    Seriously though, why does Arbor Day not have a following for mangroves? I am sure several schools would eagerly participate is planting out a lot of foreshore at the beaches in one day. Shorncliffe to Eventide could do with a few thousand plantings with no fewer than 6 primary schools in the area.

Another possibility could be the council takes on mangrove pruning as an art form much the same as they do in all the parks and community access areas throughout the state. Even if the mangroves are trimmed into shaped seashore gardens it would be beneficial and eyepleasing.

Time to step out of the norm for an approach that might be highly acceptible for all parties......
    Jack.

Sounds like a plan Jack!! No sarcasm intended.

where I live, on a small creek, the local Council decided to plant mangroves in an area where none had ever existed, supposedly to "clean" the water quality, now the bloody things have gone mad and we have mozzies and sandflies where years before there was none, so for me, I HATE MANGROVES!