Thread: Red Claw Somerset Dam.

Red Claw Somerset Dam.

Hello All,

Would Anyone Be Able To Advise, At What Time Of The Year Is Best To Start To Pot For Redclaw In Somerset Dam?
    I Have Never Tried It And Am Keen To Have A Go.

Steven K.

Re: Red Claw Somerset Dam.

It was a little tough for redclaw a month ago at Somerset (though a few still did ok) but a mate got about 30 good one just last weekend so it could be picking up again.

Steven,
    I was there last weekend and kept about 80 with about 30 thrown back. Biggest 38cm tip of tail to end of claws.
    If you don't already know, best time is from about 5pm to about 8am, they seem to shut down during the day.
    4mts of water was the ideal depth for us last weekend.

Good Luck

T-Dog (or others)

Are there any legalities ie size and numbers for red claw? Also, any pointers as to preferred locations like, as you mentioned 4 mtrs depth, or weeds, would be good.

Cheers
    Seamus

Seamus,
    I may be wrong but my understanding is that if they are outside their natural range (gulf country) then there are no size or take limits. As with any responsible fishing, it is good to throw back small ones and females carrying eggs...
    there is a limit of 4 pots each..
    As far as best spots for placement, shelving areas around the 4mt mark,,not sure about the weed beds??

Quote Originally Posted by trekkadog View Post
    Seamus,
    I may be wrong but my understanding is that if they are outside their natural range (gulf country) then there are no size or take limits. As with any responsible fishing, it is good to throw back small ones and females carrying eggs...
    there is a limit of 4 pots each..
    As far as best spots for placement, shelving areas around the 4mt mark,,not sure about the weed beds??
    While this is an old post, please be aware that it is an offence to return redclaw to the dam, even if they are bearing eggs or young.

I too would like to get some of those redclaw, damn good tucker if you find the right area where the concentration is..all trial and error as to where they are.

If you find a spot where they are more plentiful then stick to that area .

Bondy