139. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Mitsubishi Triton 2.5L Turbo Diesel

69 49.64%
  • New Ford Ranger 3.0L Turbo Diesel

70 50.36%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

Re: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

Have a look at the specs on the latest GT liberty - not a tow vehicle I know., but it is quicker over the 1/4 than the manual - that's factory specs.
    If you haven't used a late model auto you don't know what you're missing.
    Tranny coolers are O.K.., I had one on my last auto 4wd. I haven't bothered on this one because it just isn't needed.
    As for the ratios - mate turbo diesel and auto boxes are a match made in heaven for towing - they are always boosting and there isn't a dead spot trying to get boost when towing up ramps or in sand.
    Each to their own - I don't care what you buy, but the days of the old manual box are just about gone and the old school aussie tough manual box has been engineered out of today's vehicles with the advent of single global platforms for vehicles.

gbc.,
    do you have to lock out overdrive in auto boxes? I know there are some manufacturers that say to do this when towing.Maybee they aren't as tough as you assume???
    Jim

No lockout in a four/five speed box anymore Jimbamb, and no mention of not using top gear in the user manual anymore like there used to be. The old three speeders with O.D. are all gone now as far as I know? My last hilux auto (Three speeder + O.D.) recommended locking out the overdrive for towing though, which wasn't too bad because the torque converter would still lock up.
    I know isuzu/holden put new auto boxes (maxmaticIII) in their utes when they went to common rail to specifically handle the torque - time will tell I suppose, but so far so good.
    P.S. I hooked up my uncle's 680 patriot just for giggles not long ago - the electronics in the box simply wouldn't let top gear engage unless rolling downhill. They pretty much protect themselves from us idiots these days...)

I drive a 100 Series LC TD GXL Wagon. It's a manual and I tow in fourth. The owners manual states no towing in fifth gear in the manual, or using overdrive in the auto. I don't know if this has changed with the 200 series but I would be surprised.

Hi Scott,

I'd be interested in your final decision as I'm also considering the Ford Ranger (specifically the XLT); the Isuzu D-Max and the Holden Colorado are the same vehicle made under licence from Isuzu which from my talk with the Cairns dealer on Saturday, matches the other vehicle on consumption at 8.3L / 100Km.

The Ford Dealer told me that the Rangers are presently being bought up by Telstra and Ergon at the rate of 2 per month. I did see a few Ergon rangers on the road after we left and they are apparently using these for the Cairns to Cape York maintenance run.
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Andrew, so far I'm leaning towards the triton, they seem to get the best all round reviews, but I'm waiting for the 2010 Ranger to come out, codenamed by ford as T6, word around the traps is they have updated the look, fixed the clutch problems other have encountered and softened up the chassis a bit to address the 'stiffness' offroad others have mentioned.

Will be looking at buying early to mid next year, might travel to sydney though, always better car prices down there, but that depends on what the local dealers can do for me.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i still drive my hj60 cruiser and would not swap it for a new any thing been to cairns from brisy towing a 19c hains starting back in the early 80s and now just a tinny but this old girl will see me out good look choosing you have a big choise to make i was looking at nissan and cruiser i went the right way some might disagree however mate its up to your own tast good luck
    hilly

Hmm I reckon the new triton looks the goods with a nice bar up front and some chunky muds and 2" lift. I just put down a deposit on one 31 Dec. I researched for about 6 months leading up to my decision and for what I wanted (towing, off road performance, safety) the Triton was the best choice. Triton is most powerful in class, safest in class, most space in rear seats, Super Select is awesome, rear power window another cool feature and a Factory Diff Lock which sealed the deal for me and the 5/10y warranty. Choice is easy.

Cheers
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by thump-a View Post
    Hi Scott
    Just thought i should share my experiance with you.
    Bought a new Ranger in 2008 ; done 8500 km ; Had the clutch replaced 4 times already and looking at 5th clutch later this month.
    Admittably its 4 x 2 but still the same towing 3 tonnes
    This Ranger hates my boat

Cheers Graham
    I have a 2Wd Ranger at work. What I have found is that when reversing with a trailer or down a laneway onto a street the clutch must be ridden otherwise the vehicle travels way to fast for safety. The vehicle travels faster in reverse than first gear with the foot off the accelerator idling.
    The vehicle is easy to stall on rough or sandy ground. Has rather poor throttle control. Poor throttle control at 60 Ks need to constantly watch the speedo [maybe just my ute in this case].
    When reversing down a slope on rough ground it is easier to stall than forward so when this happens you have one stab at the brakes if you release or not fully stop the vehicle after that there are virtually no braking reserve.
    Perhaps the 4WD Ranger may have a larger vacuum tank or better system?
    Some bullbars interfere with the low slung intercooler so care must be taken in B/Bar selection. Clutch problems seem to be the norm and some are prone to jumping out of 5th gear. The Ranger has more comfortable seats than the BT50[my opinion only]. I understand the Ford has a better turbo than the Mazda but that is heresay from a 4WD forum. Regards

I would definitely lean towards the Triton, have the '09 twin cab & this is an awesome vehicle, has the 3.2 intercooled turbo diesel and this tows my boat (5.55 m centre console) with ease

We have a couple of the new Ford Rangers and some new BT 50's at work and we are having a heap of problems with them, especially with the injectors, had two vehicles go back to dealers within 35000 k's, the clutch, imo, would definitely not handle too much towing, and they have a serious problem of jumping out of high gear while in 4wd

just my rant

cheers Mouse/Dennis
    Barra, Boars, Bundy & bare arsed
    cottersfnq@yahoo.com.au

I cant compare the 2 but I got to have the latest Triton to try out for a week not long ago. Not a bad machine at all for hte money (agricultural in many ways coming out of my Discovery 2 to test it out but had a lot of stonk when sticking in the fun pedal and you SORT of get used to the noise of the TD (same for the ranger though I bet). I reckon she would to pretty well power wise. It was finished off ok inside and good on the outside and all up it was pretty easy to live with. Economy seemed pretty good too. Mine was kitted up with the bells and whistles. I handed it back to my dealer mate and he said they were popular.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Driven a few Rangers and Tritons, my Work partner owns a Triton and I own a D40 Nav.....

The drive between a ranger and Triton a, the Triton is miles in front, and on all aspects, comfort, ride, economy, power and quietness... Driving the Ranger feels like a comercial vehicle where the Triton feels like a car.....

Personaly would not even consider a Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    The drive between a ranger and Triton a, the Triton is miles in front, and on all aspects, comfort, ride, economy, power and quietness... Driving the Ranger feels like a comercial vehicle where the Triton feels like a car.....
    Jabba,

I found it to the exact opposite to be honest; the XLT Ranger drove more like a car to my senses and the Triton I was seemingly fighting the gear stick into place...

That being said I'm only a medium build (don't worry I have a bit of a beer gut like most fisho's :wink so my reach in the Triton may have been the reason for what I found :undecided:

Still if one brand had everything we look for all we'd be able to buy would be Toyota's / Nissan's; I think that both cars need to be driven first hand and whatever appeals to the driver will win out.
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Thought I might revive this just to let everyone know I've made my decision. I've test driven both vehicles both on and off road, and thought he Triton is slightly better offroad, I was not impressed overall, especially considering the rough 10k price gap. The triton's cab felt cramped, there was plenty of turbo lag, and well its just not comfortable. Though i do think its a more capable car off road, its not by much and across every other requirement I had the ranger came out on top. So there will be a new Ranger XLT parked in my drive soon. just debating whether to buy now or wait till the T6 ranger comes out next year....

I would be waiting for a shite hot deal on a superseded one.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent