Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag Limits

Bag Limits

Ive been reading some posts in ausfish where some ppl have written "took my 100 whiting yesterday and went back for another bag limit today...." What would one do with all these fish? And do you feel that you have to get ur bag limit every time u go out? Especial when the bag limits are over a handfull of fish.

Just something that im thinking about. Wouldnt it b better to take just what u can eat and maybe put a few in the freezer. Have to admit 200 whiting in 2 days is alot of fish.

Let me know what u guys think

Cheers
    i want a bigger boat

Call Sign "In-Vince-able" VHF 72

Re: Bag Limits

By rights you aren't allowed to do it.. they are in possession limits... so even if you catch them on 2 seperate days you are only allowed to have the bag limit, whether its in your esky out in the boat or at home in your freezer.. that being sait there is nothing that stops people from giving away there catch to family/neighbours... i suppose its just up to the person to make that judgement on whether its sustainable or not and if its necessary to keep all them fish, personally we keep what we need for ourself and imediate family who can no longer fish everything else goes back after a photo or two..

Nidrac...

Quote Originally Posted by nidrac View Post
    By rights you aren't allowed to do it.. they are in possession limits... so even if you catch them on 2 seperate days you are only allowed to have the bag limit, whether its in your esky out in the boat or at home in your freezer.. that being sait there is nothing that stops people from giving away there catch to family/neighbours... i suppose its just up to the person to make that judgement on whether its sustainable or not and if its necessary to keep all them fish, personally we keep what we need for ourself and imediate family who can no longer fish everything else goes back after a photo or two..

Nidrac...

Not so buddy, least not in the NT anyway.
    You can have as much fish as you want at your primary residence.
    It's only in your possesion if it's outside of your residence.

Might be different in other states i guess?

not all bag limits are possession limits, only certain species have those elimits applied, so in some cases, you can catch (say) 20, come back and catch another 20 and so on. I guess it all comes down to personal ethics, if you are not breaking the law, then so be it, if you don't like it, then you don't do it, same goes for catch and release, if you want to keep something for a feed, then go for it, hate those guys that reckon you should release everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    if you want to keep something for a feed, then go for it, hate those guys that reckon you should release everything!
    Agreed mate, it's the same with these radical vegans who say it's not our right to eat any animal, what about the carnivores and omnivores of the animal kingdom, what do these radicals think about them! because guess what, we're animals too.

Quite happy to catch a feed and release the rest. i don't like catching large amounts of fish or bagging out but thats just me, someone who only fishes every few months may want more in the freezer.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie09 View Post
    Ive been reading some posts in ausfish where some ppl have written "took my 100 whiting yesterday and went back for another bag limit today...." What would one do with all these fish? And do you feel that you have to get ur bag limit every time u go out? Especial when the bag limits are over a handfull of fish.

Just something that im thinking about. Wouldnt it b better to take just what u can eat and maybe put a few in the freezer. Have to admit 200 whiting in 2 days is alot of fish.

Let me know what u guys think

Cheers
    I just did a search of the entire forum for the phrase "took my 100 whiting" and believe it or not, it comes up once. In this thread only.

Would be interested to know where the posts are that you have been reading.
    Regards

mod5

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    not all bag limits are possession limits, only certain species have those elimits applied, so in some cases, you can catch (say) 20, come back and catch another 20 and so on. I guess it all comes down to personal ethics, if you are not breaking the law, then so be it, if you don't like it, then you don't do it, same goes for catch and release, if you want to keep something for a feed, then go for it, hate those guys that reckon you should release everything!

Hi
    Just a query on what species don't have the possession limit as the way I read the dpi guide the bag limits are all in possession. Am I missing something or is it that fisheries having snuck the possession thing in under the radar and are not too keen to draw too much attention to this just yet? Or has it always been a possession thing and i'm just mistaken.

Mark

In Queensland it is, and has been, IN POSSESSION for many years. If you do a search there has been significant discussion on it.
    Regards

mod5

I chased up Deedi a month or so ago re the definition of the word " take" in relation of targeting bass during closed season and recieved the following answer from the senior fisheries management officer.

take fisheries resources includes—
    (a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and
    (b) attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or
    land; and
    (c) land (from a boat or in another way), bring ashore or
    tranship.

You will notice that attempting to catch fish is included in the definition of take and therefore my understanding is that if someone is attempting to take a species of fish during a closed season they would be in breech of the regulation.

On the strength of this I would then go on to say that if you have your bag limit in possession and continue to fish for the relavent species you are then in breach of the regulations.
    This means that the practice of upgrading is illegal unless you always keep one less than the bag limit.
    Wonder how this will affect some of the competetions.
    Cheers
    Ray

Ray, what state is that? Leigh

Queensland.
    Cheers
    Ray

Moving from nsw to qld ,this is the kind of thing i have to watch. Leigh

Some states, such as QLD have applied a "possession" limit. This means not only what YOU have caught that day but also what you have at home...per person - inc your wife, children etc...NSW has a "Daily" take limit. Not sure with NT & other states.

Definition of possess = control with knowledge. Thats is - you know its there & you have it for your use.

Daily Take and In-possession limits are hotly debated in fisheries management and result in a vast differing in the "bag-limits" seen by the public on brochures.

Where some people that seem to be the target of this thread find a loophole is to take / possess their limit then pass it onto someone else - they may live in the same premises for example. But there is no way the intention, regardless of the state, is to allow people to return to fish and take their 'bag limit' again. Thats not the 'spirit of the legislation' as the legislators put it & will only result in a move away from possession to daily take down the track.

Certainly if someone did this under the 'daily take' regime, they'd be in breach cause they've already taken their limit and regardless of whether or not they still possess it, they have already taken/kept/landed it.

With the definition of "take" given in QLD fisheries legislation, while I'm not speaking on behalf of all the QLD DPI&F, its obvious that the scope of this is designed to be applied to offences like fishing Closed Waters & no fish have been caught/killed/eskied - not when you've bagged out on a species and are still fishing for catch / release or other species...This is how you can still go and fish for species like grassies, mackerel, cobia etc during the Reef spawning closure in QLD.

I guess someone was referring to winter whiting and really 100 isnt that many if you've got all the "rellos" down for a long week-end.
    Jeez I can remember going out and catching 300 or more and it was like a production line back at the house with all the rellos scaling,filleting and bagging.
    The rec fishermen didnt put much of a dent in the school but the trawlers that later started to target them did. 300 divided up between 5 or 6 famillies . A decent feed was about half a dozen pieces each
    The winter whiting season was pretty short before they moved on so most people would bag a few to have later in the year when they were too busy to get down fishing.
    Just because someone catches their bag limit one day doesnt always mean that they have kept them all for themselves
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post
    I guess someone was referring to winter whiting and really 100 isnt that many if you've got all the "rellos" down for a long week-end.
    Current limit for winter whiting in Queensland is 50 fish.
    Regards

mod5