Thread: Replacing rod grips

Replacing rod grips

Hi
    i was wondering if it is possible to replace the grips on a rod without a complete makeover. I have a rod with cork grips that have split (front and rear) and would like to replace them with camo EVA grips if this is possible.
    any thoughts???

Cheers
    Aadam

Re: Replacing rod grips

The rear grip is possible but the fore-grip needs the guides to come off IMO.
    That is if you don't want to change the reel seat as well then the fore-grip can be changed without the guides coming off
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

unless you use some sort of bind/wind on grip like (say) leather, then the guides need to come off to make for a good long lasting job!

hi
    thanks guys for your help. i thought that would be the case but didnt know for sure. Think ill just tape up the current grips and see how they go like that.
    thanks again
    Aadam

you could always get some of that heatshrink grips. have a look on the rodworks website there are a few different sizes and colours available.
    CHEERS BRAD

To be honest matey it is not much of a hassle to redo all the guides.
    A good way to learn rodbuilding I reckon
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I would rather strip and rebind the guides, than cut off and replace the grips and winch.....in the context of what is easier. Replacing the foregrip DEFINATELY requires stripping the guides, if you want a hypalon or duralon foregrip. Replacing the reel seat can be the biggest pain in the whole exercise...putting a new one on is easy....getting the old one off can be a nightmare. My suggestion would be to strip the guides, replace the foregrip, then replace the rear grip (you may need to be creative to get new hyp grip to go over the butt and still seat neat near the winch), and leave the original winch seat in place, then rebind the guides. If the rod is at a stage where the corks are splitting then you can almost guarantee the guides are due for a rebind anyway.

Greg

If you have basic tools, go for it, don’t let any body tell you "you can’t do it”. I’ve just replaced the Rear Grip (EVA Camo) - Front Grip (EVA Camo) and Reel Seat (Fuji) with out removing any guides and it's come up very nice (First time I have done anything like this). I put the rod in a bench vice and used a Stanley knife to cut away the rear grip first, then I used the Stanley knife to cut through the reel seat by tapping it lightly with a hammer along the reel seat (or you could use a hack saw) Be very careful when doing this with either item not to cut through the blank or your hand, and obviously don’t try and cut through the metal parts, that should get it loose enough to slide/peel/break off the reel seat, then I cut through the top grip and removed it. Sanded the area down a bit to get rid of the left over glue and grip particles left over, I measured the blank diameter from the rear grip to the front grip, I did do a little bit more sanding to get the same diameter from rear to tip so it will make putting on the front grip much easier. I then ordered my parts online from rod works, very easy and cheap, only cost me $35 for the 3 items incl shipping. You will need to build up the rod where the reel seat goes and there are clips on you tube how to do it with masking tape, they explain it very well with excelled demos. They also have nice clips on how to apply the glue/grips/reel seat, it was very helpful for me.

This rod is an old silstar power tip that is 12 years old, but the guides and blank are immaculate and I saw no need to remove the guides to replace the bottom end. I read many posts on here saying it cannot be done, and if it is done it won’t work out very well bla bla bla. It can be done.

Let me know if anyone wants the Links to the clips, or if you would like to see a photo of the rear end of my rod.

Cheers

Nik

Sounds great Nic.
    Would love to see the the pics.
    Graham.

No Problem, bellow is the finished product.

And the Youtube Vids that were unbelievably helpful.

Obviously the clip shows putting on the grips/seat without guides; I just did everything in reverse with a butt cap which I cut off from another rod going on last.