Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your honest opinion please

Your honest opinion please

My health is in trouble and my wife would prefer that I be away so she can think through what she wants. That is not the point of my thread though. My work might allow me to work remotely, through the puter, for a few hours each day. We have a favourite camping spot on an uninhabited island less than an hour from the mainland in CQ. I'm looking at going to the island, on my own, for about 3 or 4 moths. To work remotely is going take 20hrs a week, if I can manage it, so would a desktop be ok with a UPS or would a laptop be better with rechargeables? I was looking at buying a new Honda 2kva Eu or whatever they are, but can't really afford it. My brother in law has offered me his 2 kva old thumpa which is in very good condition, as so I can run a little deep freeze, and make ice for a day esky to use as a fridge. The gennie could also run a battery charger so I could charge the laptop batteries. In theory, it all sounds practical, but in reality, please tell me what you think? Pull no punches please, I'm not in a position to stuff about with this as I haven't got long.

Cheers and thanks

Dave

Re: Your honest opinion please

Honestly, a laptop is small and portable. All in one. The laptop is the way to go. Just get yourself a USB mouse for it. Desktop is large, needs a UPS, monitor, keyboard, chews through more power... A laptop makes sense

Yep, laptop but what is the network coverage like there?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

We're investigating coverage, but you can get mobile phone coverage. Does that mean anthing?

Dave

Another thought - much as I hate lap tops they can be recharged from a deep cycle battery which, in turn, can be charged by a solar cell.

The solar cell would be much cheaper to buy and, especially, run. Fuel for a 2kva generator could be expensive.

Do you have to be on line for those 20 hours? Wi-fi is not cheap. It would be ok if you could do your work and get rid of it quickly once connected.

does dicksmith do a DC voltage adaptor for laptops? so you can run them off 12volts
    I have not seen one but am sure I have heard of them

cheers Murf

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M9694

Yes murf they do and if you need internet access choice is simple get a laptop with a wireless connection if you have mobile reception you have internet access. can use your computer without the generator running.

or you can get a cheap $16 delivered one off evilbay??

cheers Murf

That's the computer and network connection just about sorted but what about beer?

How do you transport many months of supply and then chill every day?

in this day and age solar is reasonably viable if you are in a fixed location.... you certainly don't want to run the genny for hours.....think about an engel fridge or two... they are very efficient and with your LED lighting and an engel or two a couple of decent solar panels will keep you going without the genny for quite some time..... burning fuel is a very expensive wany of making electricity.

jaycar have a couple of very good books on soalr systems.

As for the broadband connection.... with the advent of nextG... the whole thing has become much more viable......unless you want to be tansfering lots of pictures & stuff It should not be that expensive.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

laptop. A decent size deep cycle will probably power it for quite a while depending on usage.
    If you have phone coverage (I assume telstra nextg) then you will have a quality internet connection available, for a price. Assume something like $60-100 per month for moderate work usage.

As Oldboot said, if you have pictures, large files, emails etc you're download could take a while and chew up your money. Can you check with your work IT people as to what sort of "server" they have and do you have to log in via the internet? I work from home sometimes and find some of the software systems are not that good in transfering data to and from the office computer...

I use a laptop, however be careful with dust and sand getting into the keypad... maybe take an extra laptop battery with you..

and finally - take care of yourself and let the local coast guard boys know what you're up to.

Peter

$90 a month for telstra 5 gig next g connection then they slow you down to dial up speeds unlimited
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

You won't be able to run a computer direct off the old genset, so you'll either have to invert off the battery to run a desktop (chews power), or get a laptop and a 12v power adapter.
    Also take an incandescent lead light and keep it plugged in while running chargers, fridges etc. A proper 'short' will help pull an old genset into 50 hz. Even then some electronics won't like it. Keep feeling them for heat buildup for the initial few uses to see what works.

Good luck with it all, I hope the prognosis improves.

We only needed to run the freezer for 1.5 hrs morning and evening to keep it pulled down. (F&P chest freezer)

g'day dave, do yourself a favour and ditch the thumper genny, it'll annoy the krap out of you (and everybody else) with noise. buy a new honda inverter type genset for quiet operation and a nice clean power output for your electronics. if i'm correctly reading between the lines here mate, you won't be needing money where you're going so spend a little and make yourself as comfortable as possible up there and that includes enjoying the serenity.