Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Mackerel

Question Spanish Mackerel

I have a few mackerel fillets,just want to know of any different recipes to cook them.
    Cheers

Re: Spanish Mackerel

a light dusting of flour or egg and breadcrumbs, into some clean hot oil and your done, good fish needs to be treated simply (I reckon)

oh dear we are spoilt in the tropics , good fish needs to be treated simply , yeah i suppose so a point above shark i suppose. eaten the day their caught there passable.otherwise good bait.

noelm you better come up to sunny nq for winter your taste buds must have frost bite. there's still hope you did not say shark

Treat it simply, agreed. leave the spices and such for the less desirable species i reckon.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I find that Macs do much better sealed in a beer batter or such. If you crumb or just flour they will be much drier than the batter. Try it, you will really notice the difference
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

No doubt about it - slice them into smaller fillets then BEER BATTER and into the deep fry - nice hot and clean oil.

If you are feeling extra special, the dip in a bit of Masterfoods brand Tartare sauce in the jar while still hot.
    Cheers
    Wal

Hi
    We eat a lot of macks and one thing we do is when filleting the fish is to place in ziplock bags in suitable portion sizes before freezing this allows a single bag to be defrosted at a time.
    All the ways previously described are the best but when it starts to get boring a simple curry is good as the mack holds together quite well.
    The recipe is simple:
    Empty a 275 mil tin of coconut cream and the same of water into a wok or frypan, add two or so teaspoons of green or red curry paste (or more to taste) chuck in whatever else you like, onion, peas ,corriander, carrot bring to simmer and taste if OK cut the fish into bite size peices and drop in for 10 minutes or until white and cooked through, serve with rice.

yum, yum

Just finished a dinner of Spanish Mac with my 2yr old - light beer (as in texture, not beer)battered, some chunky oven baked chips and fresh salad. No complaints from her or me - beautiful.

Steve

Hi Guys when it comes to Spanish Mackerel I don't think I would go pass smoking them. I have a 6m boat and on the cutting board I Set up my smoker ( it is just a old electric fry pan, they have a good heavy base and a high lid place in a cake tray and you have your smoker) you cant beat a good sun set a cold bear and a plate of hot or cold smoked mack with a bit of salad on the side. ( up side know washing up)

Quote Originally Posted by ozbee View Post
    noelm you better come up to sunny nq for winter your taste buds must have frost bite. there's still hope you did not say shark
    nope, don't eat Sharks of any sort, ever! but I do like Mackeral, and indeed every now and them we get fresh Spanish in my local market, and I have been known to buy one, plus I have enjoyed a lot of other (sunny coast) species, mind you will have some very good eating fish down here in the frost bite zones, as In Blue Eye, Snapper (of course) John Dory, and a host of others as well, you guys do not have all the best ones up there.

With Mackerel I like to wrap each piece in foil and do them on the bbq.

Put a smear of butter on the foil first. Then put a smear of chlli, mustard, peanut butter...any flavour you like, on the foil with the butter. Put the piece of fish on top and wrap up. Needs about 8 to 10 minutes on the bbq. No need to turn it. Alternatively, put a slice of lemon or lime in there on top of the fish. Salt and pepper as well if you like.

I find doing it like this it stays nice and moist.

only time iv caught or eaten spaniard macks, the decky cut the fillets into thin butterflied steaks probably .8-1cm thick. cooked either pan fried, grilled or deep fried all produces great results.

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy View Post
    Hi
    All the ways previously described are the best but when it starts to get boring a simple curry is good as the mack holds together quite well.
    Patak's Tikka Masala (Corriander & Lemon) - Add onion, paste, tin crushed tomatoes and later some yoghurt with lots of fresh corriander served on a bed of rice and a balsamic salad

Cut fillets into single serve portions - try and ensure they are all they same size.

Cover in Olive oil and bush spices(or any other spices you like) bake uncovered in
    oven for 15 minutes @ 180, brush each fillet with lemon butter just before serving - yum. Be very careful not to overcook.

With the off-cuts cut into into bite size chunks and cover with beer batter and serve as a snack with a home made tarter sauce.

Home made tarter sauce - finely chop equal portion of capers, gherkins and onions (can be pickled) and fresh dill (the key ingredient) and then mix with Paul Newman's whole egg mayonnaise