Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

When you can tow a loaded hilux (dead weight) through nagala. The way it used to be with heaps of soft sand. Then come talk to me.
    Ahh, when was it mentioned that the 'soft roader' would be towing a hilux through nagala?

When I finish my new 80 and we have a meet and greet on a beach. You guys are more than welcome to test it out. I go everywhere in 2wd. Ill put it in 4wd and lets see if you can get it bogged... Hows that sound?
    Ok, Talking to 1 of my mates. I told him a guy saw a patrol stuck and a niva drove right passed and now the niva is better than a patrol and he just laughed. But I think ive nailed it now...

If you go up the beach and see a cruiser or patrol bogged, and yours doesnt. You should say "my truck is better than THAT 1. or your just a better driver" Not better than the badge of the 4x4 stuck. Having said that. Alot of the smaller 4x4's badges has serious limit and restriction that you just cant get passed nomatter what you do or how much you spend. ie.. Tyre size, weak suspension, weak engines etc. So as good as they go now, they are never going to be able to go any better "In most cases". And thats why we dont like them...

You have missed the point once again. Need I go further and say years ago I have put my VK Calais 2wd through the 1st cutting at teewah? The car that was mention in the first place is more than capable at doing fraser island. It probaly wont do the track from central station to lake boomajin, but it will piss it up the beach from hook point to dundubara. If the driver does not know how to drive a 4wd then chances are he/she will not get any car there...

I was just stating how well and easy would a 4x4 have to be. To be able to tow another car through nagala.

I get your point on that matter andy. Never said they cant do fraser! Beach driving is a peace of piss... And I have seen a few normal cars up the beach before aswell. Only sometimes do the conditions on fraser change, mostly deep water crossings. And nagala upto the lighthouse. I wish I still had photo's of eli creek when it came halfway up my windscreen and my bullbar was chin level. Or a few years ago when all the sand was gone and it was a hell fun suspension crawl from nagala on. I even had to use my winch to get back up the 3 metre drop off.

Like others have said "My 4x4 can take me anywhere I want to go on fraser" Fair call. Fraser is only hard if you go looking for the hard bits. Most of the time.

But when people start saying "ahh fraser, strad and moreton is easy as. My little feroza or what ever kills it and can go everywhere on the island" Thats when I think they need to give these places a little bit more respect, because I have seen it (and im sure alot of other here) many times where they would be turning around and going home with their tails between their legs, or just restricted on where they can go because they just cant make it.

There are tonnes of tracks on stradbroke only a handful of 4x4's can do... Maybe we should go there.
    You start saying ive seen a patrol bogged to its axles and the little 4x4's go right past it. Yeah, I see it all the time aswell. But tyres, power and gearing. Is all it needs to go way better than the little 4x4's. When it has those things then I would say patrol and cruiser all the way on the beach. But until then (given that the littles 4x4's can handle deep water or suspension hills) Id say the little 4x4's just have the overall advantage.

Here is some vids of a cheap 80 with an old carbie 5 litre in it. Having some fun.

As a Discovery V8 owner I say....good to see you have gone for 8 pots!

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Oh thats not my truck. I wouldnt go to all that effort and expense for a 308. By the emissions laws you have to run the old carbies soley on lpg to get it to pass and get engineers.

But V8's are so underated, especially by all the diesel guys. Give me an LS1 anyday... Exact same torque curve as the 1hdft turbo diesel cruiser engine on the dyno, but double the hp. So that throws their theory of more torque at lower revs out of the water. And diesel eco (taking into acount prices) is very compairable to petrol.

Having said that, I have decided its going to cost too much to LS1 my new 80. Ill work the diesel a bit (intercooler, turbo, hpc etc) and put up with it. As Its for alot of runs, cape trip, desert etc.. But if its too slow. Then expect an engine for sale.

And diesel eco (taking into acount prices) is very compairable to petrol.
    Diesel has been cheaper than petrol for a while now. My TD cruiser uses about 40% less fuel than a V8. Granted, it did cost $10k+ more to buy.

Ben, if you do decide to sell let me know.. my NA 80 series could use a little more get up and go

Cheers
    Brandon...

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Diesel has been cheaper than petrol for a while now. My TD cruiser uses about 40% less fuel than a V8. Granted, it did cost $10k+ more to buy.
    40% Crap. Ive had this arguement many times before. If your talking about the 4.7. Then ok. You can get gas injection for them (95litre usable lpg tank) it usually get a bit worse eco. But the fuel costs half the price ($12 per 100 k's) but you dont have the range of the diesel.

Against the LS1 how ever. Hate to dissapoint you. I havnt checked diesel fuel prices lately (used to be more expensive)

Speaking from experience and 1st hand knowledge. Gu 42.td patrol 500k's per tank. Ripped it out and threw the LS1 in 500's per tank with exact same set up.

I dont like involving others but I can tell most diesel heads dont beleive the facts. Heres a message from my mate steve (who wires up ls1's duramax's etc)

"TBB wrote: Hey mate, how are you... As you probably already know. Ive sold the patrol ages ago. Sold like hot cakes. $35 000 site unseen to a guy in WA. And heaps of calls about it.

Ive since got a dirt cheap 80 for the mean time (like planned). Im planning a big trip to the cape next year and am thinking of getting a better 80 and doing the ls1 again. I want to use the 4sp auto like yours. Fixed all the problems yet? Gear changing etc. What fuel eco do you get??

Cheers Mark

Hey mate, $35000 is pretty good i reckon. i am using the holden 4l60e 4sp auto, Mine is still going great. Have had the shifts firmed up a bit via reprogram, and is great now. only thing i would recomend if you are gonna caryy alot of weight, or tow, I would suggest having the box upgraded, Costs about $900ish from memory, Or get yourself a new 4l65e auto, they are about $2500 (they are stronger than the 4l60e).

Fuel economy on my truck is around 5.5-6 km/L around town, never done a good highway run, except towing a car trailer which got 5.5km/L with that. that is also running 35" tyres. Also i don't have extractors yet, which would make a difference.

Steve

DURAMAX STANDALONE ENGINE HARNESSES

LS1 STANDALONE HARNESS $450ex
    80 SERIES LS1 PLUG IN $650ex
    FULL RE-WIRES "

Thats 500k's per tank with 35's. Turbo diesel gets 550 with normal wheels, so does the ls1.

Another mate with an 80series and 450bhp get the same eco. The more torque the less throttle possition to get the same results. So comparable torque = comparable eco (but there are sweet spots). And with the amount of tuning you can do with fuel injected V8's. "Mafless tuning, varied mix's" The sweet spot can be where ever you like it to be for your set up. Its endless. And $2500 for high performance lpg injection.

Brandonh, I will see how I go. Im definately going to do the cape trip with the diesel. Maybe by the time I get back. I would have had enough of it. Who knows... You can turbo yours for $1500 and still get reliable temps.

40% Crap. Ive had this arguement many times before. If your talking about the 4.7. Then ok.
    Yes, The 4.7. Talking 100 series V8 vs 100 series TD.
    You would be very lucky to get under about 20L per 100km around town from the V8. I am getting 13-14L/100km.
    The LPG argument is more complex than just the fuel usage. I'm not going to debate you on that one.

V8's can be efficient. Having a few extra pots firing away at very low revs in sand is sweet too.

I get 15l per 100k in and out to town with my Discovery series II V8 manual - TJM Steel bar, 31 inch ATs in LT (not extreme by any means but add weight over stock); 70kg of LPG gear etc...thats in and out to town from 30k out...highway is much better again.

I run mine on LPG and get 20l/100 k and in and out to town which equates to about 10l/100k compared to petrol running costs which for a vehicle over 2 tonn and constant 4wd is pretty sweet.

Towing with LPG burns a lot more cause of venturi action (I have a mixed and lambda controlled idle and main valve).

So V8s can do the business in economy stakes too.

Cheers

PS. Funny think is I dont do any worse than 16l/100k on petrol even when ringing its neck to 5,500rpm through the gears (the 4.0 loves a rev)....funny that
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Yes, if its a straight comparison from the 100 series 4.7 vs the TD. Then your right. Average is usually about 19L/100. On gas its gets about 26L/100. But given gas is half the price is the only saving grace. Otherwise we would throw them away.

I was thinking of getting a 100 series 4.7 and putting a live axle front on it. (as a base) but you have to put a 6" lift in it just to clear the sump.

But they still arent as bad as the 4.5 petrol. Dont get me wrong, they are bullet proof. Petrol, it gets about 18L/100 and after I put gas injection on mine it gets 22L/100 about $10 - $11/100. ( I have read some claims from guys that they have put an aftermarket computer on and leaned it right out to get 600k's per tank) but could just be hear say. I havent seen it for myself yet. And supercharge them etc etc. Its easier to go a stock as a rock V8 that will last 500 000k's and give you the performance you want.

The only V8 Im recommending is the LS1 (cant say how highly I regard them). And can put them in pretty cheaply these days . If your handy with the tools and have the right connections, you can chuck 1 in for 12 - 13k. Less the 5 - 6k you get for your diesel chisel.

Even when I was selling mine Id get emails from diesel wankers sticking their nose in saying "diesel patrols are selling for 28k, you should be asking less than that for your V8 1." Pffft Im still getting emails and offers and I sold it 6 months ago. So much so that when I sell this house im in. Im going to do a few of them.

It takes alot of balls to completely submurge an engine you spent 6 months of stress and 25k chucking in. Just to see if its water proof . So I hope you are enjoying this info.

Here's the pics i should have posted in September...

Inksip, pretty hard and easy to cross

Hook Point slightly narrow in places

Heading down one of the bypass tracks

Maheno day 1 (and the baby prado )

Eski of taylor day 2

Approch to Indian head (was easy to cross, no problems)

On the other side up at Waddy (Left hand side was very soft, once on the baords its easy)

Champagne full of sand

Day 3 return from Wady pt nearing camp

Rat centreal

Nice hideaway we had

Crossing Eli Day 4

Racing a plane

Rocks to cross at Pyungen

Yindey Day 4

On the way to Mckenzie

The lake

Enjoying our taylor at the lake

When dingos attack, friends tent got opended while we were out!

Time to go home Day 6

To the doubters.

I understand where you are coming from re: soft-roaders and fraser island.

I have a forester. Bought it not long before i was due to go on a trip to fraser. Had little confidence in it to be honest, and lets be honest, it has no off-roading pretensions. There's no beefy bodykits or nudge bar thingys... and the TV ads for the forester don't even have crocodiles!

But I took it to the beach one day not long after I got it and was blown away. They are awesome in sand. 1.3 ton and a true symmetrical drivetrain can't be wrong. Add to that a half low range (perfect sand low, not so perfect rock-crawling low) and you have an unstoppable vehicle.

I'm here in an attempt to add a positive and insightful addition to this thread. There are some who are bagging the Forester, but in all honesty, have they even driven one??? If no, then what credibility do they have???

I've done two trips so far to fraser in the foz. Never been stuck. Camped at waddy the first time, stayed at kingfisher the second. Ventured past indian head both times...

I will say one thing though. Soft-roaders these days are rubbish. They have east-west mounted engines which means they are essentially FWD vehicles, and they invariably have some kind of clutch or viscous system that 'sometimes' diverts 'some' drive to the rear wheels. This is where Subies excel. They on the other hand have a north-south engine, and an actual mechanical connection to all wheels.

I find it funny that one of my videos were posted earlier to somehow show how bad fraser can get. The hilarious irony is that video was filmed from inside my forester!!!! (here: )

Subaru's are not your typical 'soft-roader', as I accidently discovered. You're a fool if you diss them if you haven't even driven one.

Looking forward to my next fraser trip

Thanks for the vid wosdam.
    What time of year is that? Is it always that busy?

this "my car go's further than your car" thread is hillarous what a bunch of children lol. I thought this site was about fishing not wankin our own chains ;p