Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coral Sea Closures - An Update

Re: Coral Sea Closures - An Update

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Seems more like a bad dream. I think it will take a bit more than a boat rally this time.
    Yup. But if we can band with our ECOFisher friends in NSW maybe we will have a credible voice. 30000 nsw rec members makes a lot of noise. We need to do the same up here in Queensland. For the first time ever I am happy to work WITH our NSW counterparts to help stop this rubbish.

I think you mean WITH OUR NSW counterparts don't ya Andy?
    Cheers,
    Chris

I have had assurances from two members of the Charter Fraternity, that they WILL work WITH us and every other sector in this matter.

Yanks....Oil.....Politics............... bring it on !!!!!!!

phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

So how does this latesst fiasco fit in with AMCS plans for the Coral Sea Heritage Park. I am assuming that PEW and AMCS are separate entities. Would it mean that the entire east coast would become part of one huge marine/heritage park????

What about the tackle and boating industry - they have a lot to lose as well. Are they likely to jump on board??

This really gives me the shits!
    FFS why can't they just leave things alone.

We really need to get this highlighted to the public as soon as possible. I do have some ideas, where we can address this to hundreds of thousands of people fairly easily..... but then again, I might be bleeting a bit

Phil do I contact yourself?
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Creelreaper - yep, that is their plan and so far are getting their way with little resistance.

Apollo - as Phil said we have some help in the charter world already committed. We do have a meeting with an industry body shortly as well so we will get a feel for their level of committment to this soon.

Heath - you can get in touch with either Phil, TheRealAndy or myself.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    What about the tackle and boating industry - they have a lot to lose as well. Are they likely to jump on board??
    yes, they sure do! everyone from boat builder's, marine dealers, tackle shop owners!
    if not close their doors it's going to hurt them big time!!!

what about trawlers, charter operators,

what about SCOTTY HILLIER!!!!!! he is on channel 7 every friday at the end of the news, what a great chance to have him let people know whats going on, but than again c7 might not allow this but worth a shot!

i-fish & all the other tv fishing shows!

& than there's bcf, tackleworld, protackle, 7-7bait&tackle these blokes are not little!
    also get in contact with every fish&chip shop as they have something to lose.

for f$%k sake even greg norman loves his fishing!

& to all with little tinnys... dont sit there & do nothing! EVEN IF YOU CANT GET OUT WIDE... MAKE SOME NOISE!! cause in the end you's are going to hurt as well.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Hi All

As some of you know, I am the CEO of Recfish Australia. I attended the meeting in Cairns and for some time now have been working with other groups including game fishers, charter operators, commercial fishers that will be affected by marine bioregional planning.

Like Daryl says, its essential to read up on the program and what is being proposed. Bioregional Planning is not new, its just that the pace has been stepped up. The North Profile was released last year but nothing has really moved on that front. The Southwest is further along than the East and they have progressed to the next step of Areas for Further Assessment.

There is alot of misinformation being distributed and its not useful. Peak groups like Recfish and Qld Game Fishing Assn are deeply involved in the process. Yes, boating and the tackle trade are involved. Yes, we are talking to politicians and yes, the issue is getting discussed in the federal Senate.

The real issue to fight is the push from Pew and other extreme conservation groups for complete bans on fishing. Its not just the Coral Sea, there is also the Big Blue Backyard in southwest WA www.saveourmarinelife.org.au and some idea of how desperate they are becoming http://www.facebook.com/group.php?si...id=76250812036

I think there is a great need for public meetings to inform fishers about what is going on and also how they can take action. I have posted some info on the Recfish website http://www.recfish.com.au/hot_topics/index.html and our latest media release is also there: http://www.recfish.com.au/hot_topics/media.html

I expect I will get a few flames with this post but thats OK. We are available to make a difference and so long as I have a job (until October with current funding) I will be putting a lot of effort into this campaign.

The first step is to point out just our inaccurate the data in the East Profile is for fisheries. Firstly the assumption that because boat registration is increasing, so is recreational fishing doesnt hold true for Qld where a steady decline in participation rate was noted until 2004. This may have changed but the data is still more up to date than the 2000 National Survey Data that DEWHA has used.

I am happy to answer further questions

Len

PS - I must point out that so far the Pew-led campaign (includes AMCS and a host of others) is only focused on the Coral Sea and Southwest WA... so far. According to their main spokeperson.

OK, what do you propose we individuals do about this?

Is there a petition of some sort, or something to add our name to the list?

These people get away with this type of rubbish regularly because they are set up and organised to undertake their self interest group agenda.
    They rely on the fact that it is difficult to motivate and organise the majority of the population (who are more often against them as they are generally in the minority and completely self interest) into a combined force as how many small, rabid little cult style groups can you continue to fight.

I think that maybe if a matrix of 'members' could be established for this particular issue, the power of the people would be gauged and registered as well or better than an organisation claiming just on behalf of 'members'. An online petition if you will. Of course this can only be achieved by the organisation, but may add some supportive numbers to a particular issue.
    It may also pave the way to quickly and easily call to action interested parties for any future (or current) issues continually being dreamt up by these organised and often well funded self interest groups.

It is just a suggestion, but there has to be some way the majority can fight back against being constantly held to ransom by the minority through these types of groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
    OK, what do you propose we individuals do about this?

Is there a petition of some sort, or something to add our name to the list?
    Homer,

Join Ecofishers Qld Mate! Form is on the following post. This thing is growing fast, and representation is available. We just need everyone to get on board!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=151336

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.