Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Alexander" bags out

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

"Alexander" bags out

Have been waiting for a break in the weather to get out and get a feed of fish and yesterday the weather Gods smiled upon us all.

"Alexander" arrived at Mooloolaba ramp at 5.40am which was packed and long line of boats awaiting to launch at both the ramps.

Headed out with five on board Pepi the skipper, Sasho, Gooza and the two gerryatrics Rob (Pepi's old man) and I. We met fellow Ausfish member Nautical Prince at the ramp and he followed us out in his mates kevlar Kat.

I knew that with perfect weather predicted pepi would give "Alexander" the full throttle so I purchased a bean bag on Wednesday for the trip. I placed the bean bag on the floor up the stern and eased myself into it. What a comfortable ride out.

Arrived at first set of marks around 7.15am and by 11 am only had ten fish on board, a 9kg Amberjack, 40cm squire and two small rosy jobfish. The boys on the Kevlar Kat hadn't caught much either so they decided to head 20ks south to their own marks. We move out wider to a group of marks we punched into the sounder 18 months ago.

The first of these marks had a good show of fish so we anchoured up and started burlying. Over the next few hours we boated 5 snapper, 9 hussar, 1 gold spot wrasse, and 6 good parrot.

At 3pm we moved 150 metres over to another mark which was loaded, dropped the pick and positioned "Alexander" right over the spot. As soon as the 8 ball sinkers hit the bottom rods bent and 45 to 55cm snapper hit the deck together with some solid parrot and a few moses perch. Within half an hour we had bagged out on snapper and released about 10.

We moved about 200 metres and found a good show on the sounder. At this mark we caught 3 nice pearlies and a plague of small snapper to 40cm which were released.

By 4.30pm we had a good haul of fish on board and the skipper decided to head back to Mooloolaba. My bean bag was placed on the floor at the stern where I sprawled in comfort for the rocket sled ride back doing 45knots.

The pizza shop owner at Mooloolaba scored a snapper for quelling our hunger.

A couple of pics are attached.

Cheers
    Barry
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0788_1.JPG 
Views:	424 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	46795  

Re: "Alexander" bags out

Nice work. A very tasty haul of fish.

Sounds like you had a ripper of a trip. We were putting in whilst you guys were at the ramp. That is one machine of a boat!

Thanks a great report - love the bean bag idea - and they are basically waterproof - well wont go all soggy - you have saved me some nasty banging around in the future - I am getting a really big bean bag today !!!

A well mixed bag for you guys to ..... bean bag hey thats a class idea don't think i'd be able to look over the steering wheel thou
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

another great bag barry top fishing

justin

Cheers Barry, I had a brief chat with Peppi - looks like further out early in the season is the drill. We did OK, but you did better,

AS USUAL, YOU BASTARD!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Tim,
    Not a bad effort for your maiden trip to the Banks.
    The snapper on the sunshine coast move from reef to reef and it pays too have a sounder full of marks and to keep looking for new ones. Also there is plenty of wireweed and often snapper are holed up in the stuff. Also if you are on a mark holding small red throat you are better off moving if you are looking for decent sized snapper.

Cheers
    Barry

Nice work there barry.
    You cant beat a bean on a boat mate they are awesome.
    We are going to do a few trips up the banks soon will let you know.
    Then we can get alexander and liberty on the fly.

Cheers Troy

Thanks Troy, got the bean bag idea from you, works a treat. You can also place it up the bow and fish in comfort. We will have to arrange a tandem with "Alexander" and "Liberty" sometime soon.

Cheers
    Barry

You come up with a deccent catch there Barry.........wont be long mate till the better fish come in.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by -spiro- View Post
    You come up with a deccent catch there Barry.........wont be long mate till the better fish come in.
    Yes Spiro, already got the dates marked in on the calendar, hope the weather co-operates.

Cheers
    Barry

Good feed there barry have a closer look though mate thats a samsonfish not an aj.

Cheers samson

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Good feed there barry have a closer look though mate thats a samsonfish not an aj.

Cheers samson
    Samson,

I thought it was a Samsonfish when it was first landed but when it was pulled out of the ice for the pic it had the yellow lateral line marking so we all changed to aj.
    I might need new glasses.

Cheers Barry

Great story and a nice haul of fish well done.
    Ken