Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: its raining snapper!

its raining snapper!

well since ive heard there has been a few good snap being caught lately and since work was canceled due to weather i though what the hell ide brave the bay, so yesterday headed over to moreton around 5pm checked my pots to get 5 occies, trolled for some pike but nothin around so had to keep the 8 legged buggers tell you what i got out of bed at 1am to a very unpleasant weather i almost said stuff this but no i jumped in the old landy and drove up the beach had alot of trouble getting past some coffy rock but just made it, got to harpers rock at 3am no rangers to be seen, guess they thought no one is this stupid, climbed up the rocks right round the cape and was fishing by 3.45.

first cast out goes an occy leg 5 mins wack rod buckles over and i just put my hand under the alvey and let her roar, the surf was pounding the water was white the rain was sidewards and i was hanging on, 10 mins later after 3 close calls with the rocks i get my first red right bellow my feet 12 foot down a cliff face that is so i wait for a wave and wash him up on a ledge scramble down and gaff him, chuck him in a rock pool and straight back out the bait goes i put the rod down quickly to cut the fishes throat and my rod almost flies in the drink lucky for my the line was rapped around the rocks and my line was cut.

from then on i lost over 20 fish all big horses and managed 4 which i was very happy with because everything was against me, biggest goin 9.5kg and one close behind at 8.9kg i wish i had of seen some of the others they would have gone easy over 10kg and that there is no way in hell anything is stopping me going back tonight, i got one nice photo just as a bit of sun peaked its head through early morning cloud, rain stopped for about 20 mins then hasnt stopped all day, no bait left so looks like rock crabs are the only thing i can get my hands on, ive never seen snapper this thick before , probably because there is no way in hell any sane person would be out in this, also thank you 355AVK i had that picture of your nice snap from moreton in the back of mind for ispiration... this was one trip i needed alot of that, woo im pumped to get that first bite tonight

Re: its raining snapper!

Mate, thats insane!
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Justjack, sounds like there's some decent snaps about.

I will be staying over at Moreton for 2 weeks from early June, can't wait to get amongst it.

BTW, if you drove up the surf beach, did you see much new coffee rock uncovered from the recent big seas at all?

Thanks in advance

Mark

hi, mate that is top fish of the rocks and some dedication good on you, fortune favours the brave. I offten do trips in the bay in less than good conditions and with less or no boat traffic and noise around usually get results.good work.

mate coffee rock everywhere stuff ive never even seen before, lucky for me the landy is reliable and old so at some of the rocks i just waited for a wave to head out and drove around them to minamise wash, i get good snapper in june its a good month over there

Thanks justjack,

yes as long as this weather calms down by the end of next week, then it'll be on for young and old.

good to hear the newly exposed coffee rock surf side, i expect that new structure will hold some good fish, bream etc when it calms down a bit.

I'll be sure to check it out.

Great catch sounds like it was more than worth the effort

congrats on those nice snapps mate,will be heading over there on friday to get some more

Good fishing there mate.

Are they the only photos you got??

If I caught an 8.9 and a 9.5kg Snapper off the rocks I'd have better pics than that.

Must have been an awesome session. Well done.

There is heaps of exposed rock on the eastern side at the moment.
    We were over there last weekend and got some nice fish.
    One bream 36 to the fork right on top of one patch of rock.
    Some good flatties and a couple of big fish lost.
    Sharks are around and more small dart and tings than I have ever seen.
    The beach is in really good shape at the moment.

Back to this thread, what an amazing session, bit mad for me, but good luck to you!.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Great session,i hope to be heading out on Friday too

Thanks for the feedback LostNearBribie,

A big easterly blow in time for some cooler weather is just what we need on the eastern beach.

May I ask, what type of bait were you using when catching the bream and flatties?

Thanks in advance

Mark

i got 3 more last night... i dont mind the doubt police, i was actually there and not dreaming, today its nice an sunny by the looks of it in brissy? it was pouring down till 6am over here, have a nice day

last nights fish sorry about the shots it was pouring down and this was jamed in the back of the landy, my brother took the other one while at the camp, it was some bad weather thats why i took the bro def dangerous

I've sent you a PM jack,

cheers

Mark