Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of 4WD by towing Capacity

List of 4WD by towing Capacity

Does anyone know where I can get a list of fourbies rated by towing capacity.
    Currently have Prado 4.0l petrol.
    Boat at present is close to 2500kg towing capacity.
    Considering future boat upgrade- heavier
    Four kids , but oldest driving soon, Still need 6 or 7 seats.
    Probably prefer diesel.
    Wife doesnt want the bulk of cruiser/patrol.
    Have hilux for offroad stuff so clearance not really an issue.
    Most of the driving is around town/school related.

Anyone got some advice or a refernce source to narrow the possibilities.
    Thanks in advance
    Brendan

Re: List of 4WD by towing Capacity

Not much smaller than a Patrol or Cruiser that will pull more than 2500kg. Maybe a Pathfinder but they are similar in size, as for being bulky, I don't think they are too bad and especially if you are after a 6-7 seater, most are "bulky".

Landrovers are another option, either a Discovery or Defender, or if budget isn't an issue wife probably wouldn't mind doing the shopping and lugging the kids to school in a Range Rover Sport

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Landrovers are another option, either a Discovery or Defender, or if budget isn't an issue wife probably wouldn't mind doing the shopping and lugging the kids to school in a Range Rover Sport

Cheers
    Tony
    Thanks Tony. Yes no. 1 son has no budget for me . He has pointed out the towing ability of a number of deutsch made marques to me this very day.
    Such road warriors as the vw touareg at 3500kg, audi A7 same, BMW X5 at 2700kg, Porsche Cayenne at 3.5t?? as well. I think that these are all basically VW's in various guises and at several times what I would like to pay. Naturally mum doent seem to mind how big those cars are or even if the kids will fit in anyway.
    I seem to recall that one of the 4WD mags used to publish a summary of all the currently available models aith the specs all together for comparison, but I cant find it onlinr or in hard copy.
    Does anyone know the kind o fhting I mean.
    Brendan

For tow tests - Overlander.com.au

Be careful mate with the Germans...they have a tendency to say x tonns until you read the fine print and realise that if Saturn is in the wrong position or its raining you can only pull 70% of that....really you wont believe it X5 for example restricts max tow capacity to hills of less than a certain gradient even on road!

Cheers

PS. The Disco 3 with TDV6 blows the big japs away on the tow tests...amazing engine (that was before the twin turbo cruiser motor though and I imagine that it will take over as the stonk monster now...)

Thanks Ozscott that just the kind of thing I'm after.
    According to no. 1 son anyone past school age knows nothing anyway. Nice to have some backup.

depends if you want to be legal or not. Wagons (cruiser/patrol/rover) have a loaded weight of only about 750 k.g. from stock.
    Add a bullbar, towbar, fuel, and all seats filled and you're borderline at best.

Add a trailer and they are goone well and truly.

Don't get me wrong, there's heaps on the road and they cope very well but by the letter of the law they aren't legal.

Just something else for the average punter to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    depends if you want to be legal or not. Wagons (cruiser/patrol/rover) have a loaded weight of only about 750 k.g. from stock.
    Add a bullbar, towbar, fuel, and all seats filled and you're borderline at best.

Add a trailer and they are goone well and truly.

Don't get me wrong, there's heaps on the road and they cope very well but by the letter of the law they aren't legal.

Just something else for the average punter to be aware of.
    Mate surely the trailer load cannot be included in that figure, it would be truly bizarre. The towball weight I can understand (vertical load )but a car with a 3t braked load limit just couldnt ever comply if that were the case
    cheers
    Brendan

Think the 09 Turbo Diesel paj with 147Kw is rated at 3000Kg.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

I think what GBC is referring to is aggregate vehicle mass. My handbook for example refers to what load you can have in the vehicle if your mad enough to tow the max 3.5 tonns....it is a basic person load with nil other weight over the rear in the cargo area, although the air suspended model allows a little more.

Cheers

You can look on Redbook for each vehicle to look at specs and towing capacity. It will take longer though going through each vehicle one by one, as its not a list.

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    Mate surely the trailer load cannot be included in that figure, it would be truly bizarre. The towball weight I can understand (vertical load )but a car with a 3t braked load limit just couldnt ever comply if that were the case
    cheers
    Brendan

Yes, like what ozscott and yourself mentioned.
    The rear axle on any vehicle has a load limit. Wagons (trendy ones) are passenger vehicles on passenger tyres and are very limited. They will usually carry some load, or tow some load but they don't do both.

I think you'll find L.R. 110's and toyota troopies are one tonne rated busses.

While not in the same class of car the Kia Sorento can tow 2.8 Tonne, in Diesel on the road ,with 5 year warranty should easily pick up for under $34K brand new.

If I could afford one I would, I am looking for a secondhand Terracan which can tow 2.5 Tonne to do my towing.

Brendan,

Have you considered going the other way and trading the Hilux in on say a Cruiser ute. If you want more towing capacity, you are going to have to move up a class/size of vehicle and if the wife wants a comfortable car that isn't the size of a Curiser or patrol, and the new D3's are about the same size as well, then I don't like your chances of finding something.

Also, better check out what son number one can drive once he gets onto his P's. I know they were talking about restricting P platers on vehicle power, turbos etc.

And back to your original question, Overlander or 4x4 Monthly have a list of all avaliable new 4wds (that term is very loosely used too) and their specs eg, power, torque and towing. Very handy for comparisons.

Hope all this helps.

Phill
    All I want is to catch MORE legal fish!

with the exception of turbo deisels for p platers, also if you consider the patrol don't get the 3L, you will be more than unhappy with it, the last of the good motors was the 4.2 TD, in saying that if you want the nicer ride over the cruiser go a coil cab patrol with the 4.2 which will have to be 2nd hand.