Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Line Testing Breaking strain.

Re: Line Testing Breaking strain.

Hi Mate,
    sent a mail.

It seems things are a foot, well with Mono anyway. But braid you can get it made any way you like.
    In the end maybe it can be made to an International standard,,, that would be a good end result, but not in the short term.
    Seeing a braid with IGFA on it, does, well, should mean it will break below, but as most break well above, you may get a surprise when one does break below.
    I just tested a 4 lb braid that broke at 5 lb and thought what a disaster.
    Guess that is what is called mental conditioning, and then what should you expect,,, 10 to 15 or 21 lb??
    I would like to think that it's all tested to an international standard, but then also the thickness.
    The thickness is one parameter that is also err bent?, you can iron it out flat to almost zero, and call it a number in most cases diameter, but as you do the width grows, this seems to be an overlooked number, thats why I measure and list it the way i do. The thickness as a diameter on it's own means nothing, as braid in most cases is oval / rectangular in shape. Hence, this product does not dig in.
    It seems we still have a way to go.

Its all good.
    Paulus

Paulus,
    have you had a chance to take a look at my latest lot?
    I'm keen to find out how the knots tested.
    Tim

Wow! What great work Paulus. I'm a very happy camper now after looking at the breaking strain results for the Crystal fireline! Thanks and keep up the great work.

Mark

Hi 435_Mark
    Thanks for that
    Its a shame to think that some do not agree with your thoughts.
    It would be nice if the results on the outside of the box were factual, but the day may yet come.
    Anyway....

Hey Guys.
    With the wind settling I have been doing a little fishing and have had little time, but its still happening, with more to come.

Updated 07,05, 2009. PLS Note;- for those that want to use the list commercially PLS contact me, before you do, thanks.

Braid, changed Woodstock Power Strike was shown as Power Strike, Bionic Braid pink 12lb, Platypus Sinking Braid 12lb, Platypus Super Braid 30 lb, Fins Original - Prt 50lb, Berkley FireLine Tracer 15 lb.
    To come, Berkley FireLine Tracer 30 & 50 lb. also Pex Braid.
    Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, with 6 lb white to come.
    Mono type, previously done,,, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 8 lb. Mustad Pro Select 12 lb, Berkley Vanish Fluoro 10 lb, Iron Flex 15 lb.

Thanks for sending the line in guys, We now have importers getting tests done and making use of this.
    Paulus
    see the results
    http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Hey Guys
    I have been doing some fishing in the local lake and getting some very good results.
    So I guess the tests have been on the back burner a little. But I have caught up, as can be seen.

Updated 20,05, 2009.

Braid, Berkley FireLine Tracer 15, 30 & 50 lb. Berkley FireLine Crystal 8 lb, Sunline Cast away PE 30 lb, also Pex Braid 50 & 60 lb.
    Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, is interesting, the 6 lb white i am looking for.

Mono type,

Leader Material, Ande Leader 20lb

More knots, Bimini twist 70 turns, and a great albright, improved double blood in the same material. I just wonder if this Bimini knot is worth the effort that some put into it.
    I got a Bimini twist 70 turns combined with a very nicely made Albright to the leader, but then using the same material I made an improved double blood knot, with almost the same end result. Knots don't you hate them.

Most important, you can improve your braid knots, try running the line between your thumb nail and fore finger a few times to flatten the line out, and to remove line twists, as its the twists that do the cutting.

Should you have any questions pls ask
    Paulus

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Hi Paul,
    More knots sent today. Trying to do away with the double, so let's see how it goes.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Tim

Hi Paul,
    Yet more line and knots coming your way.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post

Most important, you can improve your braid knots, try running the line between your thumb nail and fore finger a few times to flatten the line out, and to remove line twists, as its the twists that do the cutting.
    That is a very interesting point. Certainly something I will have a look at
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yeah Horse,
    It's the best tip going around. Paul put me on to it a little while ago and the last lot of knots I sent to him for testing (a braid to leader knot) came out at the worst of 94% of breaking strain and a best of 100%. Gotta be happy with that. Now am averaging that close to 100% all the time, it's not funny.
    It's great that Paul has generously offered this service to rec fisho's for no cost.
    Tim

Thanks Tim
    I got yr Knots but thought i better get this up as a few people were waiting.
    will get to yours next week.
    Paulus

Hey Guys,
    I got some more line you sent in and got it tested.
    I have been up north, little fishing though.

Updated 25,06, 2009.

Braid, Amnesia yellow 30lb, Daiwa Team TD orange 4 lb and 6 lb, Woodstock Power Strike green 4 lb. Hi- Seas Grand Slam bright red 30 lb, Nitlon Giga 20 lb, Mustad Dynamite Ultra braid green 19 lb. Lines ain't lines.
    Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, with 6 lb white,,, still to come.

Mono type, Berkley Trilene XL 6 lb & 9 lb, Yo-Zuri Hybrid 25 lb.

Leader Material, Ande Leader 20lb, Sunline Saltwater Special FC rock 50 lb.

More knots, Bimini twist 70 turns, Bimini twist 50 turns, and a great albright. Ted Donelans Knot fails with the Bimini twist 50. Thanks for your time Scott.

Paulus
    Results at.
    www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Hey guys

It's been a while, I have been catching a lot of fish, big flatties in the lake, but the line testing has been going on.

I have put in a new line test machine, to make it a little easier, heaps of $$$$. have a looka t it.

A lot of new lines have been tested, some very obscure braids, although very nice and silky also some new leaders.

I have also developed a new Bimini twist tool, that makes great twists.

So, some of the lines that have been tested are, and I updated the list today 08,08, 2009.

Braid, Amnesia braid yellow 30lb, Daiwa Team TD orange 4 lb and 6 lb, Woodstock Power Strike green 4 lb, yellow 10 lb, 15 lb, 50 lb, Hi- Seas Grand Slam bright red 30 lb, Nitlon Giga 20 lb, Mustad Dynamite Ultra braid green 19 lb. Power Pro moss green 20, 30, 50 lb, Berkley FireLine pink 4 lb, Sufix Performance new 6ply 6 lb yellow, Pelagic Spectra 10 lb, YGK Galis Ultra Jig-man X8 blue 33 lb, Calcutta Ultra green 10 & 15 lb, Fins Wind tamer yellow 4 lb, Sufix Performance orange 6 lb.

Just shows Lines ain't lines sol, sure ain't.

Hate to say it but look out for the last orange around rocks n snags.

Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, with 6 lb white,,, still to come, send me in some of the white???.

Mono type, Berkley Trilene XL 6 lb & 9 lb, Yo-Zuri Hybrid 25 lb

Leader Material, Ande Leader 20lb, Sunline Saltwater Special FC rock 50 lb

More knots, Bimini twist 70 turns, Bimini twist 50 turns, and a great albright. Ted Donelans Knot fails with the Bimini twist 50. Thanks for your time Scott. Improved allbright in heavy leaders to braid lines.

Keep in mind that if you want a line tested send it in,,, that's what makes the list work.

Please note, that keping up with all this, as well as the testing is a job in it's self.

Paulus

Thanks for the hard work and the time dedicated to making these tests results available for all of us.
    Fantastic.
    Some interesting results came out of the tests.

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Hey Guys
    Thanks Jason
    At the end of the day I guess the whole idea about the testing is, that when one goes to buy a new line, he has the knowledge that what is written on the box is not what is on the spool inside that box.
    The more people that know and ask what does this actually break at when buying, (maybe let them know that a / the list exists) the better chance we have of getting change, that is honesty in the packaging, the more lines on the list the better.
    So spread the word, and keep in mind i need some more lines to test, Guys i am sure you have a few ends on spools laying about.
    Paulus

Is that San Diego knot tested with braid?

Hi Bomb49

That knot has only been tested with Schneider klear 16, i tried to give a similar comparison by using the same line on all the knots to terminal.

I have found that nearly every one uses a leader at the end of the braid, and then that tied to a terminal. Generally braid ties to a terminal poorly.

One way around this is to tie a Bimini twist and then tie the loop to the terminal.

Most of the biminis that have been sent in to me for testing have failed early, like a 33 lb braid failing at 19 lb, and I could not tie them well, too many fingers and toes needed.

So I have just developed a Bimini twist tool to make it easy to do that loop, a 50 turn bimini in less than a minute.
    This may help you with your braid knots, and two legs tied are better than one.

Have a look
    Paulus
    www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm