Thread: New Marina for Tin Can Bay

New Marina for Tin Can Bay

Another Battleground has surfaced at Tin Can Bay. There is a development application being referred to the feds for a massive new marina here. The application also includes the reclaiming of several acres of the Snapper Creek sandbar at Norman Point.

As per usual, the locals are devided with the majority against it. The main concern is the habitat of the Pacific Dolphins, Turtles and Sea-Cows and the loss of our town.

The increse in traffic thru the sandy straits and the Tin Can inlet will play mary hell with all of these species. Boat strikes will increase dramatically. Then they will make the entire straits OFF THE PLANE areas

Add to that the neverending number of commercial fishermen opperating out of here, and you may as well sign this areas obituart now if it goes ahead.

The number of fringe dweller commercial fishers in this areas is unforgivable. Small flatties, long nets, multiple harvesting of the same sand-flats by progressive opperators on every available tide. You are flat out catching a legal whiting on the flats anymore. Their plant and equiptment is in a dismal state and it is rather obvious they are not reaping much benefit from their endeavours. The government must reduce the number of licences in this area by buy back,

The results in the Burram river system could be repeated here.

The shift from 12 ft tinnies to 16ft. centre consoles is indicitive of the need to sail over what used to be productive fishing grounds to go outside and fish areas their nets cant reach.

If this goes ahead, the nursery of the Great Sandy Straits will be taken over by Gin Palaces and large sailing craft.

I saw at Christmas time the marina development at Cardwell. That marina was at the far end of the town and did not realy impact on Cardwell as a small fishing village.

This development is proposed right in the middle of Tin Can and in fact will become the focal point of the Bay. The village will no longer exist . It will be swallowed up .

I am writing to David Gibson my local member to voice my concern. Maybe some of you could do similar.

Chappy

Re: New Marina for Tin Can Bay

were have u been this has been in the works scince 2004

Quote Originally Posted by wakakiwi View Post
    were have u been this has been in the works scince 2004

The referral to the feds only happened last week

Thanks Chappy,

We were there Xmas 07 and there were people there trying to get support for this thru a protest, I joined. I heard nothing till an email from Greg Wood from SOS TCB group on the 15 December 08 saying that the developer has lodged their application to the Feds. and that the group needed comments from the public, I did.

That was just before Xmas so their submission may not have been processed yet.

I pm'ed 3 people. from Ausfish, from TCB area and no one replied???

The new marina is a useless idea and will ruin TCB and the surrounding area. Hopefully the world money crisis will stop it. The existing marina can not get enough trade to fill their berths why do they think the need a new one.

Jeffrey

We were ther over the hollidays and got a hint of what was being proposed, If they go ahead the government will need to do abit of explaining regarding all the recent greening they have produced and put forward, gives me the Sh@ts .

Having been one of he past owners of the cafe at the boat ramp at tin can bay i can assure you that the marina has been on the cards for quite some time. I took over the shop in early 2005 andd it was sold to us with a lease that was to continue into the new marina back then. the lease was then sold to a company in sydney who are now the ones that are now looking into building the new marina.I agree with you that the area doesnt need this and probably never will. I have heard nothing but hot air from greg woods and the sos group for years on the matter and have yet to see any action. It is QLD transport boat harbour and at the end of the day if thay want a marina thay will have it. Scince when has the Beatey/ Bligh govenment been interested in public opioin any way thay end up doing what thay want.

Have rec. an email regarding Tin Can Bay, is there anyone able to attend?;

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
    SOS TIN CAN BAY INC
    (Members and general public both welcome)
    Saturday 14 February at 2pm
    RSL Hall, TinCanBay
    PROGRAM
    1. (Brief) AGM business
    2. Update from Cr. Ian Petersen on behalf of Mayor Ron Dyne on
    Council action on meeting resolutions from September 2009
    3. Overview of recent science on indo pacific dolphin and dugongs

Nominations for President, Treasurer, Secretary and Management Committee are welcome,
    and are to be received in writing or by nomination from the floor.
    Advice on nomination procedure may be obtained from Jenny Adamson Ph. 5486 4296.

Jeffrey