Thread: Shark Attacks - Who's to Blame

Shark Attacks - Who's to Blame

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...3-2862,00.html

After reading Vic Hislop's comments in the Hearld I don't know wether to laugh or cry......... Next thing is we'll be blamed for the financial crisis...........

" Shark hunter Vic Hislop said over-fishing was causing dangerous sharks to frequent shallow waters.
    The renowned shark fisherman, who caught a record two-tonne great white at Seal Rocks, off Phillip Island, in 1987, said it was only a matter of time before another Victorian was killed. "

Re: Shark Attacks - Who's to Blame

Do you really think there is a need to assign blame??

I think if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time(ie..feeding time for a hungry shark ) then there is always a possibility of being bitten...

Given that so many people spend so much time in the ocean, frankly I'm quite amazed that there are so few attacks...seems that most attacks are either from curiosity or a mistake in dirty water or simply an opportunistic big hungry shark that figures we look tasty and easy to catch...

They will always be in the ocean we just need to accept that some people will be bitten or eaten...bit of a lottery really.....

Scott

still want to give that bloke any credibility ????

"In the USA in the 30 years 1970-2000 ~ 12 people died from shark attacks, in this same period ~ 1,500 people died from lighting strikes in coastal regions. These figures are only from coastal regions so as not to inflate the number of deaths from lighting strikes.
    Each year worldwide there are ~ 10 deaths attributable to shark attacks compared with ~ 150 deaths worldwide caused by falling coconuts.
    More people each year are killed by elephants, crocodiles, bees, and wars and many other dangers that confront us, than by sharks.
    Compare the number of deaths by shark attack with death as the result of a motor vehicle accident.
    Remember there are ~10 deaths attributable to shark attacks worldwide.
    USA - ~45,000 deaths by motor vehicle (pop ~250 million)
    Thailand - ~ 60,000 deaths by motor vehicle (pop ~60 million)
    Australia - ~ 3,000 deaths by motor vehicle (pop ~20 million)"

from the AIMS website.

and..Hislop was on the radio the other day..he was discussing great whites, hammerheads, tigers and bulls sharks. he was asked if he stiil hunted for these species. His replay was a definitive "yes". Someone should tell the bloke that great whites are totally protected.

To quote that great philanthropist TimiBoy
    "When you get in the briny you've lost your spot on top of the food chain"

Says it all really
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Do you really think there is a need to assign blame??

I think if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time(ie..feeding time for a hungry shark ) then there is always a possibility of being bitten...

Given that so many people spend so much time in the ocean, frankly I'm quite amazed that there are so few attacks...seems that most attacks are either from curiosity or a mistake in dirty water or simply an opportunistic big hungry shark that figures we look tasty and easy to catch...

They will always be in the ocean we just need to accept that some people will be bitten or eaten...bit of a lottery really.....

Scott
    Mayby my title could have been worded better My point was that every time I turn around some looney seems to be pointing the finger at fishing for some problem or other I guess we're all just plain evil So fess up, which one of you been playing with the stock markets......

Hopefully they will hang Vic Hislop in a museum by his feet when he is dead just like what he did to the animals he killed to make himself a so called expert.
    go away Vic your an embarrasment to anyone who ever wet a line.
    If i could pick the next victorian to be killed by a shark i know who i would choose

Rod

I think Hislop as always is completely off base and route.

My personal assumption is the water temp patterns have changed this season compared to the past dozen or more years, breaking the drought in many areas and bringing closer to shore many of the offshore population for us to notice.

Hislop has always been in line for the W--ker of the Year Awards and yet the media love to quote him. Hitler too had a good media frontage too for a similar result on a different species just because he hated them too.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and..Hislop was on the radio the other day..he was discussing great whites, hammerheads, tigers and bulls sharks. he was asked if he stiil hunted for these species. His replay was a definitive "yes". Someone should tell the bloke that great whites are totally protected.
    He might do a Rex on them?? You know....smooch and release

Does anybody remember that Great White hanging in the place Hislop had at South Tweed?? I think it was Hislop...anyways in the mid 80's there was a Great White on display and once seeing the majestic creature my ideas on sharks changed forever.
    I used to be a kill them all type of person but looking at the display brought my way of thinking back to where it should have been.
    The ocean is not our domain.

Those few people taken are usualy asking for it in my books.
    Did anybody take note of the news last week when they saw those few sharks around??
    People not taking any notice of the beach closures or the directives of those in the know.
    Gees McGilligor...I'd be out of the water quick as a flash if I had the slightest inkling of a Noah being about.
    Seeing rubber ducks zooming about is usually a sign of something bad or seeing a helicopter hovering just above the water is usually another sign.
    I reckon I'd eevn be out of the water at the sign of baitballs or the like.
    To me it isn't rocket science...
    Once down at Evans the cook and I were about 3km up the beach and into a huge school of ocean mullet. They were pretty tight so I reckon something was holding them together.
    A big closed pod of mullet, a few injured fish about and a bit of blood in the mix and people actually started to swim where we were fishing. I said to a few about the chance there could be some Noah's about or they could be hooked by us but they kept swimming.
    It might be a bit of natural selection with a few of those really unlucky people taken as well.
    I feel for the guy taken in the West a little whiles ago.
    He at least knew the risks and acepted them.

Off my horse now...
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Yep Tuna has it he is a toss but he has a few things right IMHO the sharks have evolve to feed of nets that are placed on beaches but as he said they feed of them this stopping them from feeding on us..... At the end of the day you go swimming you are at risk Whites are travelers and its just unlucky for the few each year that encounter them.... as for the Bronzies or bullies they are bugger in the salt and brackish water even fresh, and again you have to beware they have be swimming in our oceans for billions of years why should we interfear...

Nath

Old Vic's as bright as a blown bulb.
    Too big a mouth and too few brain cells to operate it intelligently.

That's my opinion of him at any rate...

He really seems to hate the old shark that's for sure...
    It'd be ironic if a big white put an end to him...

Isn't he a bit of a boozer as well ? the locals in H`Bay call him Vic Piss pot apparently.

Just the ramblings of a sad out dated alco me thinks. I took my son to his show a few years back up the bay, out of curiosity, it stunk terribly, I think some of the sharks in the freezer are beyond their use by date.

If you want to go swimming or surfing in the ocean, you have to be aware of the potential and accept the consequences, especially if the beach is un patrolled, or doesn't have nets etc.
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Forgot to say, the other week when that surfer got bit at Fingal we were at Rainbow bay near Tweed with the relos.. The jet ski went out, the ducky went out, then the old jet surf boat went out, then the chopper flew over and hovered out where the surfers were

We were out of the water anyways, and I told my son and Nephews they should think twice about having a swim at present, but the board riders didn't bat an eye lid, they kept paddling out and catching waves.
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?