Thread: Crossing the bar footage

Crossing the bar footage

Hello Fellas,
    I am always interested in learning more about bars and crossing them. I have done Bill Cortens course and find crossing the bar enjoyable and scary all in one and therefore cant learn enough about them. I was on you tube today and stummbled on this bar crossing series. It has many parts and talks about boats coming unstuck in bars with real footage, and talks about how to navigate them correctly. It was an interesting view and I recommend it to anyone. It is designed more for larger boats and is featured in New Zealand but I think alot of this info can be applied here.
    Happy Viewing
    Marty

Re: Crossing the bar footage

Yeah bar crossing can be fun when it's not too big, but not for the faint hearted... I went out to the 23-36's on Monday.. Yep the wind blowing 17kn at 4:30am.. We came in through the pin at 9:30 with the run out tide.. My heart was beating faster then ever, we made it in safely without a hitch, but my hand was shaking for a few minutes after.... The adrenaline realy start pumping when the bar is ugly....

Bar virgin here
    I would like to see a similar programme with planing hulls.
    Good general information though.
    northernblue
    ><)))))))*>

It is a far, far better thing to have fished and lost, than never to have fished at all.

Lol i've had a few close calls where ive screamed pretty much at the top of my lungs, but remaining in control lol

Tweed full blown run out tide so scary i hate tweed specially with swell

and currumbin alley went out in 6ft was absolutely crazy

Bloody excellent and useful. Scary too!

See if you can get hold of some footage of crossing the Narooma bar on the NSW south coast......it is the Doyen of bars,,,short and sharp and dangerous to the newbie....and the overconfident experienced boatie. Thats where I cut my teeth on bar crossings.....in planing boats.

Hastings River bar at Port Macquarie is also a bar that trap the inexperienced/overconfident boaties.....doesnt stand up as much as the narooma bar, but you are in the bar conditions for about 500m....so much concentration and vigilance is required.....especially on run out tides

Greg

Like the last trails of the footage say, "amazing how often those who prepare for the worst get through (interpreted)" ... the 7 "P's" prevail most of the time ..... "prior, preparation, and planing, prevent, piss, poor, performance" .... thrown in with a whole lot of common sense ... hey, perhaps not from that footage though !!!

I did Bill Cortens bar course last Monday, worth every dollar. Been across a few bars but only as a passenger, puts a whole new slant on it when you’re the skipper. Went out today by myself and did my first SP bar crossing. There was only a small swell running but still get the heart pumping.
    “Rough water Boating” by Mark A Robinson is well worth a read, not sure if it still in print however.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    I did Bill Cortens bar course last Monday, worth every dollar. Been across a few bars but only as a passenger, puts a whole new slant on it when you’re the skipper. Went out today by myself and did my first SP bar crossing. There was only a small swell running but still get the heart pumping.
    “Rough water Boating” by Mark A Robinson is well worth a read, not sure if it still in print however.
    Bruce, you're no longer a Virgin!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

tropicrows, I was on Flinders Beach watching Bill out there in his boat. I think it was the same time a yacht went through, I saw bill go up and have a chat with him.
    Marty

Another gppd clip is this one fellas.

Yep, that's right Captain Seaweed, Bill was quite concerned that yacht was going to run aground. Told him to go to starboard but he when to port ????? luckly he made it.
    Timiboy, I thought you were on hols, what you doing reading this stuff. Been ice fishing over there yet. .................................................. ...
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

That first video brings back memories.

Back in the late 70s/early 80s I went out a few times on a prawn trawler working out of Evans Heads to help out. One night the weather blew up whilst we were out and so we and the rest of the fleet headed back in.

The bar was boiling on the run out and it was still dark (about 3/4am) but these guys were pretty used to it. A few of the more experienced skips ran the bar without problems and slowly the rest of the boats made their way in.

We started our way in and all seemed to be going well until we seemed to suddenly hit a big "pot hole", the water fell away in front of us and the bow went down and dug in. Just then a big green one rolled across the back of us and turned us side one. The next big green one was just behind it and over we went as the boat broached! Myself and the Deckie went into the drink. The Deckie got hurt on the way in and was struggling. I was holding him up and trying to get us both out of the bar itself.

Meanwhile the net booms had stopped the trawler from completely turning over. It held on its side for perhaps 30 seconds and then released and righted its self. The skipper was still at the helm and managed to start the motor and drive it out of trouble. Another trawler came out and picked myself and the Deckie up.

We were so lucky that day, but it seemed somewhat surreal at the time.

Another night we hooked up the net on the boat and almost got pulled under, so the trips were not without their excitement!!

I never went out on the trawler again, not because I didn't want to, the Skipper would not take anyone other than salaried crew out after that. Can't blame he really. He was 18 at the time from memory, but had been driving the boat with his Dad for years.

About an hour or two after our little drama, we were out on the break wall picking up gear that had washed off the boat. It was now light. A number of Ballina boats had made their was down to Evans Head as the Ballina bar was even worse apparently. As we watched a brand new steel hull 50 foot trawler went over in the same place we did!! Unfortunately, this time the boat did not right itself!! The crew and the Skip managed to escape the boat, just!! By this time I think the Surf Life Savers were set up on the adjacent beach and rescued them in the rubber duck if I remember correctly.

The trawler was still stuck there, after a number of unsuccessful salvage attempts, when I left Evans Head many months later,

Anyone have footage of boats going over....small and large.

I know there is a bit on this series, but any others?