Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New crabbing rules

Post Re: New crabbing rules

Hagar

You're right, C = 2 pi r , or pi D. So, if an opening is 22.5 wide, ( new rule for widest opening from March 1 ) when measued flat, the circumference of a circle made from that opening, is still 45.

The diameter of this circle would be D = C / pi = 14.33. A legal crab would have a lot of trouble getting through this, depending on which way it went.

If your funnel is a circle, with a diameter of 22.5, then this would equate to a circumference of c = d pi, or 22.5 * 3.14 = 70.65. This would be 35.3 if flattened out, so be very careful if you have round funnel entrances.

But enough of that, what I really want to know is, is there actually a revision of the rules, that now allows kids under 15 to use crab pots, as long as they have the physical strength to retrieve them. I have been told that this is now in force by a few people, and have seen it printed in a current fishing publication, but can't find it in the DPI web site.

Can anyone help me with where to find this information.

Bill

Re: New crabbing rules

Swamp, I have just been serching for the same thing, I asked a lad about it the other day at a tackle shop, maybe the same publication? It cant find where this info comes from? Hopefully someone else might have the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not fixed to something they must have a light-coloured surface float attached, not less than 15 cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it.

Phill
    Now, here's where I'm getting confused. If for example, I went out with my old man and brother all with out legal limit of pots, then only had our surname on the pot, that allow for an infringement notice. Obviously we would each have christian names on them as well, but that will be another thing to watch out for that you don't just put your surname on it when out with family/relatives.

I really don't think they can force you to display your full name and address by law in a public place. your boat rego would suffice as boat rego will lead them to your full details and will suffice.

I don't have my full name and address on my boat when its anchored or moored

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Those cheap pots are rubbish, they are the ones you see drifting down the channels in high currents. If you must use them, do yourself a favour and go get oval shaped floats + decent rope.
    Andy

In this case, regrettably you are mistaken.

The ones I purchased are quite heavy duty round pots with solid rings and HD netting. The ones I got had been in the shop for a couple of months and were sold at about $35 each. So I don;t recokon they are the light rubbish ones "you see drifting down channels". I might add that I'm also not stupid enough to set them in the middle of high current channels in the first place, either!

And thanks for the advice to fit decent rope and floats! I hope the 6 mm silver anchor rope and regulation foam floats that I use meet with your full approval.
    Gee, I always enjoy being told how to suck eggs first thing in the morning.

ML

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Andy

In this case, regrettably you are mistaken.

The ones I purchased are quite heavy duty round pots with solid rings and HD netting. The ones I got had been in the shop for a couple of months and were sold at about $35 each. So I don;t recokon they are the light rubbish ones "you see drifting down channels". I might add that I'm also not stupid enough to set them in the middle of high current channels in the first place, either!

And thanks for the advice to fit decent rope and floats! I hope the 6 mm silver anchor rope and regulation foam floats that I use meet with your full approval.
    Gee, I always enjoy being told how to suck eggs first thing in the morning.

ML
    Well you are right, I am mistaken! As you obviously know I am fairly passionate about this topic. When you said 4 pots for $50 with rope and floats I had assumed the piss weak b c f pots with the crap nylon ropes. About the only good thing that comes with those bcf pot combo's is the crab measurer. Please accept my apologies.

This will stop the confusion

Effective 1 mar 2009
    New crabbing laws regarding floats, entrances, apparatus

Effective 2 April 2010
    Phasing out of witches hats/dillies (inverted dillies) will be prohibited from 2apr10 to reduce the impacts on turtles

Effective 1 July 2009
    Sharks and Rays New limit 1.5m max limit of 1

Effective 1 march 2010
    Bream/Tarwhine new size 25cm combined limit of 30
    Tailor new size 35cm 20 (extented limit for fraser) elsewhere no change

Hi All,
    If I remember my maths correctly you divide the circumference by 3.14 to aquire the diameter.,eg. 45cm divided by 3.14 = 14.33cm or 143.3mm . Not 22.5 cm as stated br Castlemain. This seems pretty small to me.

Crabbie

Sorry Hagar, I now see that you posted the size correction, forgot to read all the posts

Hi Crabbie

You're right with the C=2piR ... Diameter ,2R=C/pi, but all this maths is giving me headache

If you got a tape measure and made it into a circle (45cm circumference), then pulled the sides together, you get a flat opening 22.5cm long (ie cheap rectangle pots from BigW, etc). That's where I got the 22.5cm.

But if were made from stiff wire (chicken-wire type pots) in a perfect circle, you're on the money.

Now if it were made from gutter-guard like some others then you're faced with and elliptical formula (maths ... not going there again).

I can see a new form of crab measuring device on the market, a 45cm circumference tube to check your crab pot opening ... mmmmmmm......might put a patent on it today.

Cheers

Get a 45cm piece of string and make it follow your funnel entry.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Get a 45cm piece of string and make it follow your funnel entry.
    TRA,
    Too logical for me

You just put a dent in my enterprise venture
    Cheers

Hi fella's, I feel the crabbing industry is going under change because of the history of complaints.

Having read the 3 pages of posts there appears conjecture about the whole industry; either regulation or Yield capacity of the pots.

I must 1st mention that I am Mike from Crab'n Gear, I was once told I was hiding behind Trapem.

If it alright by Ausfish, I will explain my understanding an expose the Devil in the Detail of what is written.

Where there are questions posed outside of regulation I will attempt to qualify the answer with an unbias answer.

I am not "a know it all" just spent over 20 years servicing every facet of industry participants.

Mike

There is now no age restriction on using crab pots,it has been removed fromthe egulatins. do a search,i just did a post recently and one of the helpful boys put up a link. The new guidelines also have the age restriction removed

Just thought I would throw this in, caught a v-nice muddie a few days ago probably not the biggest i've seen but rite up there, it went through my funnel in collapasable pot and opening is 28cm but a quality pot. Didn't measure him but have been crabbing for 35 years and in the bundy region and you get to know size.