Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

So the day when the caster catches more fish than the troller they are just luckier?

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    So the day when the caster catches more fish than the troller they are just luckier?
    I reckon only in part.....both actions do require skill
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

I think 1/2 points should be awarded

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi65 View Post
    I think 1/2 points should be awarded
    Now there's the germ of a great idea, a bureaucracy around recognising the worth of a fish.

You could pull together a selection committee (essential criteria for selection would be to have never to seen a barra) of those who know best to determine the worth of a catch.

guidelines could include -

One metre barra caught on basic gear (hand line and bait) = a metre of fish.

The following methods incur a 10% size reduction -
    Forgetting the landing net
    Casting mindlessly
    Tangling Ipod cable with reel handle

20% size reduction -
    Live baiting
    Trolling mindlessly
    Using a threadline on a baitcaster

50% size reduction -
    Spilling beer during the capture.
    Calling the fish for a catfish.
    Catching a catfish (demerit points go straight to the next fish)

The following methods receive a 10% size increase -
    Thinking
    Remembering to bring the beer

20% size increase -
    Casting left hand and winding with the right

50% size increase -
    Drinking and not spilling the beer whilst catching a fish (can must be pulled from the esky and cracked after the hook up and finished with tin disposed of before the fish is landed, no one to assist)

Dick!!!

Love it mate...I am laughing my A#$e off!!

I can see everyone with calculators working out their true PB size!!!!

Add another 10% if its caught in the middle of a cyclone!!!!

Hope old "BILLY" hasnt blown you off the water mate, have a good WA new year!!

cheers Steve

thats a pisser, well thought out dick......
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Dick!!!

Love it mate...I am laughing my A#$e off!!

I can see everyone with calculators working out their true PB size!!!!

Add another 10% if its caught in the middle of a cyclone!!!!

Hope old "BILLY" hasnt blown you off the water mate, have a good WA new year!!

cheers Steve
    hey steve, see your boat is up for grabs...ive got 8 grand final offer take it or leave it..... ....so whats the new rig gonna be..?????
    i will never die.

Deano,

I will think about your offer.

Might cross to the dark side.......glass and fast!!!!

Had a bit of interest from a few!

Steve

Deano,

I will think about your offer.

Might cross to the dark side.......glass and fast!!!!

Had a bit of interest from a few!

Steve

was havin a chat to nath tonite , and we thought you may go that way..
    fast that is, we chalked up 3 jacks tonite not a bad start too 09....and yes im lookin for a cheepish boat round that money..the frenzy just a tad out of my range, but 30mill sat nite, might go glass n fast as well....
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    was havin a chat to nath tonite , and we thought you may go that way..
    fast that is, we chalked up 3 jacks tonite not a bad start too 09....and yes im lookin for a cheepish boat round that money..the frenzy just a tad out of my range, but 30mill sat nite, might go glass n fast as well....
    I know a real good tupperware dish for that kind of cash (mabey a bit more) with 50hp 4stroke Suzuki about 50hrs no salt work....decked out perfect..local fella..I was actually going to downsize it just because of its good history. I think I will go the fasty though.

cheeers steve

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi all
    Time to be a little controversial.

Now .... with the capture of larger impoundment barra & the question being asked "Is it time to rethink the metery?" - I'd like to pose the question
    "Does trolling count ?"

I ask this based on my observation at Monduran last month - I noticed that there seemed to be an almost blase attitude around the camp ground (listening to camp kitchen chat) - Plenty of big (110-125cm) barra were being trolled up in the main basin ...... though not too much caught casting -
    additionally & what promted me .... In my travels yesterday - I was shown piccys (on a IPOD type thingy) of 4 barra over 1.2M & 1 at 1.36M all taken during a recent trip to Kinchant & Faust ...... & all on the troll - & what got me was once again the "Oh hum" type of response ..... so matter of fact no real big deal .... do it all the time !
    Now .... not wanting to denigrate those that troll for barra - But, Lets face it - a meter + barra caught in the main basin on the troll - just doesn't quite cut it when compared to one caught casting .........
    So am I wrong to feel this way ??? (it's not jealousy or elitism - either > I think ) Whats your thoughts ???

cheers

Chris

PS ..... My first meter barra was caught trolling
    Yes, you're wrong to feel this way. If it's not jealousy or elitism, what is it? A metre fish caught trolling fights just as hard as one caught casting. The trees can add another dimension to the fight, but a metre fish is a good fish no matter how you catch it. To insinuate that to troll you must be either injured, lazy or inexperienced is possibly the biggest load of dribble that I've read on this site. Oh, I've caught them both ways and couldn't care less what people think.

I know a real good tupperware dish for that kind of cash (mabey a bit more) with 50hp 4stroke Suzuki about 50hrs no salt work....decked out perfect..local fella..I was actually going to downsize it just because of its good history. I think I will go the fasty though.

cheeers steve

mmmm interested, be up in a couple of weeks may have a look, any more info ???
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Bugger how did I miss this thread until now. I got to this post and thought it was genius. These are the exact type of words I have been trying to say in other arguments but for salt water species. All the doomsdayers concerning saltwater stocks and this is what i have been trying to say. The big difference is there was no new "hot dam" as it was, because we've all been fishing the same big dam for so long! I hate to use the old term about the 10%-90% thing but it is true. Whilst I am a 90% er taking the 10% of fish in the salt there are still that minority that kill it. I certainly believe I would be one of those guys if i had the time to invest.

Sorry for the TOTAL hijack there Nagg but I had to say what was on my mind before i lost the words again.

To your question: I am yet to be in the metre club for salt or fresh as I have not targeted them heavily enough (or at all in fresh). How ever when i do get to one of our fantastic dams I do plan to use trolling heavily until i break the meter just to experience the weight and pull. From there it will be all casting for practice for the real domain that is the salt! A metre Barra is a metre Barra i suppose but it is still dam Barra. My first trip chasing dam Bass was ok (trolling and casting) pleanty of 50+cm Bass in the boat but that will probably be the last Fresh Bass chase i do. I hope the Fresh Barra keeps me coming back! With all the excitement on these pages I guess it will.

Thanks for the chance to rant Nagg!

Cheers

Chris
    Hi Chris

We IBDers thrive on hijacks ....... so no appology accepted

Hey ..... you go for the metery .... trolling - its a great way to nail one without going through all the pain / frustration of casting - specially till you become familiar with what you need to look for!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice to see the discussion continuing

Now , clearly some people have been offended - & they need not be ? - As I said there is no intention to degenerate/ belittle trolling ....... just to clarify things!

trollling is a personal choice ..... & for some people a relaxing way to tangle with a big barra - Hell standing up on the casting deck , 30Deg + , making over 1000 casts , working the leccy over a 12 hour day is bloody hard work & not every ones cup of tea

This is where my fullfillment comes from impoundment barra fishing - maybe I'm a bit massocistic ....... but standing there eyeballing a big snag & saying to yourself theres gotta be someone home........ Then with hands shaking you make a cast ( & throw it in the trees ) or you make the cast GET SMASHED - and all hell breaks loose Now this is (IMHO) what you miss with trolling - the juice so to speak. ...... sure you get a hit - If you are holding the rod ...... the fish still jumps , runs , spits hooks... but as you are generally in clearer water ....... Your chances of landing that fish are significantly increased........ & this is my point

Its not elitism / snobbery to think this way ........ just a case of putting yourself in a scenario that is a bit more of a personal challenge.......... For me its not just about landing barra - but that's my personal choice.........

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Too late to include a poll?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............