Thread: EPA ... Labour's Thorn-in-the-side

EPA ... Labour's Thorn-in-the-side

EPA is starting to be a laughing stock, as they continue with more bungles (read Below). How about the Bay closures on poor science? Surely Cpt Bligh must see them as a stumbling block as she approaches an election, and reign them in. Cheers

Australia Zoo croc 'regurgitated dental plate'
    Gabrielle Dunlevy | November 13, 2008 - 5:56AM

The Queensland Opposition has called for an inquiry into the government's crocodile management policy, after anonymous claims it has led to the deaths of two men.
    Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg yesterday tabled a letter in Parliament which blamed the practice of relocating crocodiles for the deaths of Barry Jefferies in Cape York's Lakefield National Park in 2005, and Arthur Booker at Cooktown last month.
    The anonymous letter, purportedly from a Queensland Parks and Wildlife (QPW) officer, also claimed the crocodile that killed Mr Jefferies was taken to Australia Zoo after the attack, and a croc that died in government care recently was subjected to "fetish-like" experimentation by another QPW officer.
    "In both cases these fatal attacks were carried out by known QPW classified dangerous crocodiles that had been trapped and handled by QPW prior to attacking and killing two members of the public," the letter, which was addressed to the opposition, said.
    Mr Springborg described the government's policy as a "goofy scientific experiment" and said an inquiry would give staff like the letter writer the chance to reveal information without fear of retribution.
    "It has been goofy, it has been dangerous, it has put people's lives at risk and there has been a lot of deception around this program," Mr Springborg told reporters in Brisbane.
    Magnetic Island tourism operators last month complained of losing thousands of dollars in takings since a 3.5m crocodile was released in the area.
    The animal, nicknamed Wighty, later died in an Environmental Protection Agency holding pen, having swallowed 25 plastic shopping bags.
    The letter alleges Wighty was only relocated to the area for the satisfaction of a QPW officer who enjoys experimenting on crocs - endangering hundreds of lives.
    It also details allegations the crocodile that killed Mr Jefferies had been relocated to the area and was starving when it attacked.
    The QPW told the media the animal responsible had been shot - but according to the letter writer - that was another crocodile, and the offending animal was taken to Australia Zoo where it later regurgitated a dental plate.
    Environment Minister Andrew McNamara said claims of impropriety in QPW had been referred to the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC).
    Mr McNamara told reporters the crocodile management program was under review, and in the meantime, captured crocs would be taken to farms and zoos rather than being relocated.
    Preliminary inquiries "cast some doubt" on the allegations, but they would be treated seriously, he said.
    "The crocodile at Lakefield had got itself stuck ... after a weather event and was relocated back to its home territory," Mr McNamara told reporters.
    At some point, Mr Jefferies' widow had expressed a wish that it not be killed, and the crocodile, known as Midway because it came from Midway Bend, was taken to Australia Zoo.
    Mr McNamara did not know whether Midway remained there, or if money had exchanged hands.
    "Generally crocodiles that are taken by zoos and farms go in a ballot and they will bid to have the crocodile but I don't have that information," he said.
    The crocodile suspected of killing Mr Booker had never been relocated, he said.
    AAP

Re: EPA ... Labour's Thorn-in-the-side

I just suggested this in another thread, but maybe now is the time for the fishers to unite to cripple the EPA once and for all?

I've no idea how to go about it, but the hardest part has been done for us (thanks Whitey), the seed of doubt has been cast over them, so perhaps, it makes all their other alleged science an easier target to scrutinize in the public view.

Maybe once and for all we can stop the Government anti fishing policy by using their own departments against them.

I can honestly refute McNamara's claims the Mrs Jefferies requested the croc not be killed, why else would they lie to them in the first place? I also know the Jefferies, maybe this statement should be brought to their attention and they can release their own statement.

Scott
    Greenies: For every animal you don't eat, I'm gonna eat 3!

LOL

Cheers

Makes me wonder how the croc sighted at Fraser Island came to be their....just coincidence or another of the EPA"s experiments. Good to see them getting the rough end of the pineapple for once !!

I was speaking to one of my Civil contractors recenty about removing some contaminated soil we had on site. I informed them an EPA permit was required to shift the soil from site (about 20m3). They then enlightened me to the joys they have had dealing with the EPA for the next 30mins Quite comical some of the stories they had