Thread: Bundy Fin fish meeting

Bundy Fin fish meeting

We attended the Rocky Reef Fin Fish meeting last night after we found the right venue since they sent us to the wrong one the first time. About 70 people were at the meeting only because the local tackle shop advertised it on the radio and in the paper. The meeting got a bit heated a lot of the fisho's brought up a lot of good points. After a show of hands 95% of the people in the room said that any information we give them will be used against us, as 1 guy said we don't trust you anymore.

The figures they used in the graphs looked more like a guess to us. They said that a survey was done in the Gold Coast area and if one in every 30 people were surveyed that was a good result. Yet none of the surveys were done for this area in Bundy. They talk about the snapper decline but here in Bundy we have lost over 70% of our snapper grounds to green zones. The last 2 years have been some of the best snapper fishing for the area.

The proposal is for total ban on bottom fishing for up to 4 months of the year from June till September, that is our fishing season for snapper. When asked if that included other species such as whitting they refused to answer the question, which makes you wonder......

In short the fisho's were very unhappy. We have been on this merry go round before, and we are getting that sinking feeling again.

Ziggy

Re: Bundy Fin fish meeting

Hey Ziggy,
    Thanks for the info. Do they propose a complete ban on bottom fishing or a no take on snapper during that time.
    thanks Robin

Hi Robin123. They propose "a closure to bottom fishing between May and September to reduce total tonnage of snapper landed." They also said that if they ban fishing for snapper for 4 months but still let fisho's catch other bottom fish then the dealth rate for snapper would increase as a bycatch. One fisher asked "Does this mean that the total fishing ban for bottom fishing will apply to all bottom fish". The answer "This is one of the proposals that the working group came up with to reduce the amount of snapper being caught." No other proposal was put forward. Our option was that they want the ban of all bottom fishing for 4 months, we were not the only people who thought this way.

Ziggy.

thats rediculous. they would be better off upping the limit a few cm's.. i mean. look at SA, they call a good snapper a fish thats just pushing 25cms. yet the average thats caught up here goes 50.

i thought Australia was a free country.

I haven't attended any meetings so I am just guessing but if they go for a closure I am guessing they will set zone closures along a certain depth (snapper mortality is high at 50m plus by info posted here) contour of maybe straight line for ease.

This may also act to protect some of the other RRFF species which will come under heavier pressure as people look for other tagets. Not fact here just my thoughts.

Ziggy

Still shocked about this. This means that the fishing that I do for sanpper in these 4 months may be banned. This is the only type of fishing I do in these months.

Are you aware that there is also scallop aquaculture proposed off Elliott Heads, with one proposed site down right next to the 4 mile reef - will mean that you won't be able to fish that reef any more for anything including spanish mackeral.

Barney II.
    Remember that this is the most drastic suggestion that they had on offer but what worrys me is that there just seems to be a hell of alot of variables, some of the info on the slides didn't even match up with what is in the booklet.

You are right though if they pull this off then we are screwed also ,since the majority of our fishing is done in winter thanks to the much better weather, these DPI guys said they are there to take our suggestions more like they are there so they can say ''We did consultation'' and this is what was suggested. They listen but they don't care for our opinion.

We are now aware of the aquaculture proposal since monday night thanks to one person in the room that knew of the meeting, thats right they had a meeting so they could get public opinion but no one went because they did not tell anyone thats what happens when you don't advertise, this sounds all to familiar. It was said that if it goes ahead then more than likely we will lose more gronds as these areas will probably be no go zones there are three areas in the proposal.....all good news !!

It's important to note that all the options they put up are just that; options for discussion. It's common when looking for a solution, you have to look even at the outlandish, just to make sure you've covered the bases.

If, however, we end up with a 4 month closure, I'd suggest they won't know what hit them. Civil disobedience will be rife, and they just don't have enough enforcement to make it happen. I'd suggest a fighting fund be set up by all those who will fish anyway, which will pay the very few fines which will come about.

The short is that 4 months won't happen, because they know it's stupid. They just put it out there to show they've considered it. I think we will get a couple of short closures (maybe two weeks each?) and for the moment that will keep the Greenies happy.

For the moment...

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post

The short is that 4 months won't happen, because they know it's stupid. They just put it out there to show they've considered it. I think we will get a couple of short closures (maybe two weeks each?) and for the moment that will keep the Greenies happy.

For the moment...

Tim
    Yeah ...commonsense would suggest that Tim is on the money.

I dont know anything about snapper but up here we ended up with 3 x 9 day reef closures corresponding with the new moon spawning periods in oct. nov. and dec..

Wouldn't be surprised if something similar were adopted for the snapper fishing area's.

Scott

Local Guy, did you attend the meeting in Yeppoon on 2nd October, or did you not know about it?

In one book they said it would be from Baffle Creek near Bundy down to the Gold Coast. In another book it gave the GPS marks for Lucinda down to the coast. If it is only from Baffle creek down why did they have meetings in Mackay, Yeppoon and Gladstone?

Disorderly, yes commonsense would suggest that Tim is on the money but we already have those 3x9 day reef closures in this area and they said that will not do, they want more.....

Do not disregard their intent. Any authority that closes reef fishing from xmas to new-year as they have,is capable of far worse.

Chappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Local_Guy View Post

i thought Australia was a free country.
    It is if you're a Greenie and don't like 4WDs, camping, fishing and boating with the family and friends. Oh, do Greenies have friends? Cheers

ziggy i had absolutely no idea there was a meeting on 2nd oct. if there was one i would definately have been there.

speaking from history. My father has hid big toe in the door when the green zones came in and he was totally against it. The work he put in to limit the green areas had a very minimal impact. Though he wasn't in a position to stop them all together i think things could have been worse in the Yeppoon region and Broadsound area without the support and pressure he gave.

I've said this before on this site, but if the g'ment wants, the g'ment gets, and everyone down south must learn from us up north and fight at every step to stop these closures.

[
    I've said this before on this site, but if the g'ment wants, the g'ment gets, and everyone down south must learn from us up north and fight at every step to stop these closures.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. But the problem is these clowns (g'ment) make this their occupation where as we already have an occupation.

It doesn't supprise me that you did not know about the meeting cause they don't like to advertise the fact that they are happening.

More likely is that the 3 to 4 month closure options are just a softening up exercise to an ultimately shorter closure period they will introduce. The DPI have form on that front.!

Cheers

Dave