Thread: Restricted Days For Fishing

Restricted Days For Fishing

Last night ch7 Bundagerg said that a review on rec fishing was considering limiting the number of days we can fish along with changes to bag limits and size restrictions. 4GY gympie also mentioned it but both gave no details. Can anybody tell us more?

On the same news, they showed massive native bass fish kills due to dam wall lifting. The response from those in charge wass we will look into it. The condition of approval included a fish ladder which has not been installed.

The experts have said the fish died due to the interuption of there upstream migration for spawning. So we can disrupt the fishes natural reproduction cycle ,literally interupting the spawning of millions of new fish stock, and on the same day restrict rec fishermen from depleating this same stock by less than 1:1000

Dont these prawns know what they will do to the tourist industry? The closed reef fishing between Chrissy and New year are bad enough.This is unforgivable.

Remember, we deserve the government we elect. So I shall be attempting to send this mob unemployment notices at the next election.

Chappy

Re: Restricted Days For Fishing

And what exactly are the L.N.P going to do that will be any different or even helpful to a fishermans cause? Nothing i guess....matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    And what exactly are the L.N.P going to do that will be any different or even helpful to a fishermans cause? Nothing i guess....matt
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPY View Post
    Last night ch7 Bundagerg said that a review on rec fishing was considering limiting the number of days we can fish along with changes to bag limits and size restrictions. 4GY gympie also mentioned it but both gave no details. Can anybody tell us more?

On the same news, they showed massive native bass fish kills due to dam wall lifting. The response from those in charge wass we will look into it. The condition of approval included a fish ladder which has not been installed.

The experts have said the fish died due to the interuption of there upstream migration for spawning. So we can disrupt the fishes natural reproduction cycle ,literally interupting the spawning of millions of new fish stock, and on the same day restrict rec fishermen from depleating this same stock by less than 1:1000

Dont these prawns know what they will do to the tourist industry? The closed reef fishing between Chrissy and New year are bad enough.This is unforgivable.

Remember, we deserve the government we elect. So I shall be attempting to send this mob unemployment notices at the next election.

Chappy
    I think some one might be having some one on here. Bass travel downstream to spawn not upstream and don't die just because they can't get past a dam wall. Experts you say?
    Mike

You are right on the money Mike
    Would probably be more like juveniles schooling at the base of the dam wall not being able to go upstream, followed by an outflow of relatively cold, oxygen poor water being released from the dam, that killed em. Just my opinion (based on experience from a similar incident occurring in the shoalhaven river in NSW). I honestly wish some of the so called experts would get their heads out of their parochial, seige mentality backsides and take notice of what has occured in other states. Theres a chap by the name of Frank Prokop they may like to consult, I think he is in the WA fisheries dept at the moment ( tho it years since I heard from him), He also used to be head of Native Fish Australia.....and his area of expertise by profesion and interest is Australian Bass, and he was extremely involved with the research and development of fish ladder design for this species.

Greg

Re the additional restrictions on fishing times - hadn't heard about it.

Re the Bass I saw that report (about the Burrum) and the reporter claimed they were advised by "concerned environmentalists" or something along those lines. As usual they didn't seem to bother to research the story much and were probably just quoting the source directly.

I think M62 and Greg have probably got it right, these are most likely post spawn fish that most likely died due to oxygenation problems after they've headed back up river to recondition after spawning.

On the same news, they showed massive native bass fish kills due to dam wall lifting
    Given that these fish were in the actual river below the Dam they would have had to get past two wiers to get to the dam wall itself.

Regardless of whether the wall had been raised or not I doubt very much it would have changed anything - in fact it's possible that fewer of the stocked fish went over the Dam wall in the floods over the last few seasons than might have happened if the wall hadn't been raised - if it wasn't raised there may well have been more fish over the wall which would mean more fish sitting at the base of the weir floating...

There is a fish ladder in place on the weir currently, although unfortunately it is the old style that our native fish find almost impossible to get up, it's fantastic to see some focus on the need for an improved fish ladder, although it would be great if they'd get the facts right.

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    That may or may not be true, but it is a fact that the Federal Nationals have walked the walk as well as talking the talk re supporting rec fishers against the changes at both Federal and State levels. I know which way my vore will be going, based on a factual history of supporting rec fishoes in parliament.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    That may or may not be true, but it is a fact that the Federal Nationals have walked the walk as well as talking the talk re supporting rec fishers against the changes at both Federal and State levels. I know which way my vore will be going, based on a factual history of supporting rec fishoes in parliament.

Jeremy
    Yes Jeremy the Federal Nationals have talked the talk but time will tell if their Liberal masters will let them walk the walk.

Fishing resources to any Govt in power is only another resource to plunder for dollars. Increase fines and fine activity and legislate new ways to catch more people out is how all governments have treated the industry.
    I really do not think what government party is in power, after voting day thier promises of support always waver into jelly. A new set of rules and regs will be issued for us to take notice of and try to obey and the result is usually the same .....less freedom to enjoy our fishery.

I reckon they should bring in lisensing to QLD and employ a lot more inspectors and cover a lot more areas and times than currently and enforce bag limits and size limits. I think too many people are still getting away flaunting the rules. I would be happy to have a check done on my bag and sizes every single trip.

Jack.

I agree with Tunaticer.
    Bring in a user pays licensing system, but ONLY IF the money is put straight back into policing current rules and regs. I think better policing and more of a fisheries presence on the water would help to reduce the number of undersize fish taken, and the instances of people taking well above their bag limit. The suggestion of having someone at the ramp checking everything is a great one, (although I acknowledge it would be costly)

I can't see why the windfall QLD transport had with the increase in rego fees can't have 30% re-directed to DPI&F for that purpose? Like all that money will go to new ramps - yeah right.
    Cheers,
    Chris

They can have all days with 30+ knot winds...
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill