Thread: Disappointment Gladstone Observer reader

Disappointment Gladstone Observer reader

I was reading the Get Hooked section in The Gladstone Observer dated Tuesday the 7th of October and to my disgust there is a photo that won Today’s Top Catch Photo that has earned the photographer a gift voucher for $30 for capturing a fisherman kneeling next to his prize catch of a Tiger shark of about 3M in length. Firstly what gain is there in killing the shark? And it is sad when the media glorifies the photo by handing out a prize for the slaying of this poor shark.

Re: Disappointment Gladstone Observer reader

That is dissapointing. I often see fish in our local midweek paper here that would almost have to be under or oversized fish. I guess someone should speak up when they spot such instances & put the pressure on or make them aware, maybe even go as far as report it to fisheries????

But they always seem to be "69cm flathead" or "23cm bream" etc when they obviously look larger/smaller than the size stated.

What do you do??

Colo

Its all a bit subjective isnt it?

mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Allison 189 View Post
    I was reading the Get Hooked section in The Gladstone Observer dated Tuesday the 7th of October and to my disgust there is a photo that won Today’s Top Catch Photo that has earned the photographer a gift voucher for $30 for capturing a fisherman kneeling next to his prize catch of a Tiger shark of about 3M in length. Firstly what gain is there in killing the shark? And it is sad when the media glorifies the photo by handing out a prize for the slaying of this poor shark.
    So, did he eat it or dump the carcass???

shotgun the teeth

so what is wrong with a fisherman catching and killing a shark? Hundreds get caught in the shark net and baited drum line program along the east coast every year. Some would say he is doing everyone a favour.

Jeremy

If it's legal what's the problem!!

Luc

might i make an observation?
    would it not be possible that a devious editor with a slant towards peta and the like would purposely print images that are unflattering to fishos and repugnent to the public to further his cause?
    nah, they wouldn't do that...

"Firstly what gain is there in killing the shark?"

FOOD!

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo77 View Post
    That is dissapointing. I often see fish in our local midweek paper here that would almost have to be under or oversized fish. I guess someone should speak up when they spot such instances & put the pressure on or make them aware, maybe even go as far as report it to fisheries????

But they always seem to be "69cm flathead" or "23cm bream" etc when they obviously look larger/smaller than the size stated.

What do you do??

Colo
    Got the suckers this time. In todays midweek there is a pic of a person holding up a "71.5cm Flathead" with a meat hook straight through it's skull & a chalkboard in the background confirmng the persons name, length of fish & the date, confirming what the paper has reported . Stupid p****s. I'll double check the legal length (70cm max as far as I know) & be on the blower tomorrow.

Don't like to be a dob artist, but, no wonder fish are getting more sarce with those types of fishing practices commonplace, let alone flaunted to the public.

As for the shark, I'm all for a feed of fresh fish, but seriously, who can eat that much meat before it's eating qualities have diminished. What a waste of an awesome creature!

Colo