Thread: 'Outback' Portable Fridges

Question 'Outback' Portable Fridges

Does anyone have one? had a good run or problems?
    They are made in China.
    Not sure about the internals, but the external build quality look good (compared to Waeco anyway), and they are considerably cheaper than Engel.

http://caloundra4x4.com.au/product_i...oducts_id=1039

Re: 'Outback' Portable Fridges

Looks can be deceiving Hamish, they don't even state what brand compressor is in it (fridges with Danfoss gear is a good start). Waeco are ok, but are a nightmare to repair. I work on an oil rig in the desert and we have engels, they cop a flogging out here and are very reliable. Might be worth the few extra bucks if you are going to go away with it. Make sure to do a lot of research before buying, as there are a lot of good units and bad ones. You need to know what you are going to use it for, how much food (or beer) you want to refrigerate, and also how you are going to power the thing.

Warwick.

thanks for that, I had already made the call to go with the Engel. A few extra $$ now might be a lot less $$ in a few years time

If you go into to Repco they are selling and Engell with bonus pack which is real good value. Repco also sell outback and in the 2yrs I have worked there I have seen 2 come back for warranty and not 1 Engell has come back. Engell actually test their fridges in the real enviroment as in outback Aust and abuse them no end to make sure they have a good product

Cheers Mad

PS if you live on the Gold Coast come into Repco Burleigh and ask for ponytail Phil and I'll look after you. and that goes for all Ausfish members. I work Sunday through to Thursday
    Grow old disgracefully

Engel are not what they used to be as they are made in china nnow