Thread: Insulator Creek

Insulator Creek

Can anyone tell me how to get to INSULATOR CREEK and if the fishing is any good this time of the year??????????????

Re: Insulator Creek

Hi Kev,

Its been 10 years since I went there, by memory drive north to crystal creek. follow the creek towards the beach on the north side of the creek. When you get near the beach there (by memory) is a track behind the beach. Otherwise you can use the beach. Go north and the next creek you hit is insulator. Can't remember if you can use the beach at high tide. There should be a worn track behind the beach as people launcg tinnies from insulator to get to cattle creek.

Insulator would not worse or better than any other creek in the region, except it may get a little less fishing pressure. Should be some grunter, bream etc... around this time of year.

Kendall

Insulator, eh..

Pretty good memory Kendall.
    Drive North from TSV until you're about 500m south of the Frosty Mango.
    Turn right at the small fuel station.
    Follow that road down through the cane farms and with Crystal Ck on your right.
    You'll hit Crystal Ck boat ramp, and hard dirt road.
    The road then vias along the beach about 5-7 km ? with Huts on your right between you and the beach.
    You'll need a 4x4 to get to the mouth on Insulator, if not put your boat in at crystal and boat out there. Continue along the beach/just behind the beach track and you'll eventually hit the mouth of Insulator Ck. You can put in there but the mouth was pretty silted up last time I was there only good for small tinnies, once your up river 300m + she gets nice and deep.
    Going out the mouth of Insulator and into Cattle Ck about 1km up the beach is probably a better bet if you're going to go all that way, just watch the tides, you'll need to go about 1km of the shore line to cross the bar with any more than 1m of water .

Hope that helps, had many a fun fishing trip up cattle, Insulator is similar just not as big.

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

Great info guys,

I live in Townsville and have fished Crystal creek with mixed success. A friend has a 4 wheel drive and we were considering Insulator Creek as we have heard Grunter frequent that place and it is not fished as hard as some other creeks. Never been to Insulator but will try taking the sand road behind the huts and see where that leads us. As for fishing well we are both landbased so not too sure where to fish......do we try the beach out front on an incoming tide or should we venture upstream a bit?

No doubt we will try and hopefully I can post a decent report

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Off the beach on an incoming tide. They'll either be there in numbers or not at all. Note the green zone starts at Insulator 18 52.458S

Kingkev - I camped at insulator for a few days, once, a few years ago. From memory it was around june or July. Top place to camp, nice looking creek. The place was lusy with grunter, couldn't get away from them, mostly around 25 to 35cms. We got em all on yabbies which were pumped right there. Didn't seem to get much else aside from the obligatory catfish.

Same trip we ventured up to cattle for a day. If you can get to cattle, you'll do a lot better - top estuary system. We went in on the morning high and caught the evening high out. We filled the esky - mainly whiting & bream but a really mixed bag by the end.

I grew up in T'ville in the 80s. I spose things have changed but Cattle is/was an awesome place. Never been anywhere better. It was still pretty good 6/7 years ago.

Benno

WELL,

The question now is...........CATTLE or INSULATOR?

I would be happy with 35cm Grunter. Nice plate size

Watch out for the crocs up there, last time we were up there, we noticed a pretty big croc slide in cattle. Insulator is bound to have a resident handbag onsite.

Try fishing the dark hours, the sizes should improve...
    Fillet and Release Squad

Dark...............

Crocs...............

HMMMMMMMM!!!! Bugger that

Out of there when the sun goes down. Too many sandflies etc etc etc

Is Insulator creek wider or narrower than Crystal Creek near the mouth??

Biggish night tides coming soon.................might try the late arvo run in

Thanks for the croc warning.........

Not sure about the mouth of Insulator, some of the other guys might know.
    Fillet and Release Squad