Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: taking female mud crabs legal in qld now?

Re: taking female mud crabs legal in qld now?

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    QLD rules are no jennies allowed in posession even in shops.. might pay to ask them where they got them, give the fishoes a yell or say where on here

SL
    I totally agree with your comments. As far as I am aware no female crabs can be sold in QLD. There is no way of knowing if the crabs were locally caught.

Matho

legal bucks are everywhere
    might want to do some research into when they stop breeding

have also seen my fair share of bucks attacking jennies

cheers
    UN

This is no different to buying plate size Barramundi or small Silver Perch at restaurants, roadside seafood vendors and fish markets, the retailers just need to have the right documentation to prove where they got them from. The aquaculture industry has been producing them for years and now they're also producing muddies.
    Mike

If they are aquaculture grown I am all for it.
    Might help to take some pressure of the wild fisheries.

along the lines of whoever said, that Females should be released into the wild and not sold, I remember seeing a show on TV and it indicated that in Aquaculture, most Females (of all sorts of species) do not Mature to produce eggs, the whole process is done by other means, it is not a case of getting a bunch of males and females and let them breed, it would take years to produce enough product to be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Thanks Timddo & Slyman

can see this law being bent a fair bit.

BigE
    I'm with you guys on this, the law will be stretched to it's limit if certain sectors of the community are involved. Maybe they should do DNA tests to see where all the females are coming from. I'd bet some are caught here in Qld

I guess they could do the same as they do for Lobsters (Crayfish) in NSW all Commercial operators fit a sort cable tie sort of thing that cannot be removed without breaking it, and any shop that has them for sale, can only have them with the tag thing on it, easy to spot at a glance, cannot be removed, any Fisherman caught with any Crays without a tag will be fined, even if they have just come in from Fishing,it has cut out the Black Market, because you cannot get the tags except from the Fisheries Dept, and they Monitor their numbers and who has them.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE NUGGY View Post
    legal bucks are everywhere
    might want to do some research into when they stop breeding

have also seen my fair share of bucks attacking jennies

cheers
    UN
    yeah done a bit of research, spoke to aims also a few pro crabbers.
    1. terminal malt (the last time they will malt, crabs will only breed when the female is malting, the shell is soft & the male can do his thing).

2. with every one allowed to take bucks at 15cm, there is not enough big bucks to reproduce with the big females, laugh if you want but it is a size thing lol. thats why i have never seen in 30 years of crabbing a buck on a big female.

yes & i will admit i to have seen bucks attacking jennys.

why do we only take 1 sex of a spices? very unblanced!

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

i am preety sure the no take of female crabs has been in since 1930 something..nature has a funny way of rebalancing itself it seems

Here is the link to the DPI page about the farmed crabs;

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/18769.html

"All aquaculture farms are subject to rigorous evaluation before consent is given for development. Movement of aquaculture product is stringently monitored by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) to ensure only farmed crabs can be sold free of size and gender limitations.

If you see small or female crabs and are concerned about their origin, ask if the product is farmed or wild caught. If you are not satisfied with the answer, contact DPI&F on 13 25 23."

Cheers

Dave