Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra Masterclass

Re: Barra Masterclass

Hello Big Ren, I used 100lb windon leaders during the last abt tour. Easy to cast, won't come undone, easy to make. not many failures, but I didn't catch enough fish on it to be convinced. I was just worried about the thick white dacron being seen be the barra, especially in the shallow water we fish. Cheers scott.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Hello Big Ren, I used 100lb windon leaders during the last abt tour. Easy to cast, won't come undone, easy to make. not many failures, but I didn't catch enough fish on it to be convinced. I was just worried about the thick white dacron being seen be the barra, especially in the shallow water we fish. Cheers scott.
    Scott ..... Dye the Dacron any colour you like !

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Hi Scott

You've caught enough barra to know what works and what doesn't. If the dacron (I use Cortland green spot) is at least 2m+ from your lure tow point, I'm not convinced it makes a difference.

Conversely, we could mount an argument that the 20cm length of white dacron actually attracts the attention of a barra as it jinks past and may just provoke her into striking at a lure being worked a couple of seconds behind.

Having said that, I have no evidence whatsoever to support my argument but IMHO I don't see the dacron as a put-off.

Cheers
    Paul

Hi Paul, I was only using about a metre of leader and still catching fish with that so 2m can only be better. The dacron may get them interested in what's going on as you say. I was pretty happy with this system but I can make twisted leaders much quicker ( about 30 seconds) so I use them. The other advantage of twisted leaders at night is you hear them come into the guides and know when to stop winding.

Trev and I have landed about 70 barra this week on twisted leaders and haven't lost any to bite offs. I can't remember ever losing a barra dt a twisted leader being bitten through, I've had 1 strand snap but the other strand hold up to land the fish so it's been close. I can't make this comment about any other leader system that I have used, even knottable wire trace was bitten through after about 30 fish. cheers scott

You and me both Steve. Although I do make twisted leaders from 40lb I haven''t really needed them.

He guys,

Just wondering how you guys do your twisted leaders. I have been doing a double twist and then quad twisting it for the last 15cm or so. I have previously been using a snap but have decided to try not to use these any more due to some spectacular bust offs. So with your leaders are they just a double twist, bimini it to the main line and blood knot it to the lure. Be interested in what you guys are using

Scott

Scott Both Scotty and l use a hairbraider...Have a look on Ebay..Very easy to make..its just a single twist We have gone down in leader line size..30lb Scott uses a Bimini to the twisted then a loop knot to the lure..

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Scott Both Scotty and l use a hairbraider...Have a look on Ebay..Very easy to make..its just a single twist We have gone down in leader line size..30lb Scott uses a Bimini to the twisted then a loop knot to the lure..
    Well I dont need a hair braider ..... Thats for sure You'll have to show me how its done Trev

Chris

Power drill and a vise oh oh oh serious stuff!

Anchor the end and put the other end in the chuck of the drill. i place a good quality clip in the middle. as the line twists you feel it pull tight and just stop the drill and walk toward the vise slowly the line will twist tightly against itself with the clip in the middle. Then crimp the top and above the clip if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Power drill and a vise oh oh oh serious stuff!

Anchor the end and put the other end in the chuck of the drill. i place a good quality clip in the middle. as the line twists you feel it pull tight and just stop the drill and walk toward the vise slowly the line will twist tightly against itself with the clip in the middle. Then crimp the top and above the clip if you wish.
    Thanks for that darylive ......... I've made similar ones hand twisted!
    How do you make them without a crimp & also have 4 strands twisted at the business end ........ like a Lethal

Nagg

Hey nagg,

I twist the double back on itself and then tie it off with a three or four turn surgeon. Big knot, but it doesn't let go. Fished next to a mate who was using 80lbs straight through and hooked 5 fish to his 0. So don't think that it puts the fish off. I think that the lethals use a uni or nail knot of a smaller diameter line and then loctite it all together. I could be wrong.

Awoonga,

I think I get it, the look that you make still goes onto the main line but the end which has both the tags you tie onto the lure with a loop knot. Would mean lure changes are tough but then how often should you change a lure.... Totally different story.

Cheers Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Hey nagg,

I twist the double back on itself and then tie it off with a three or four turn surgeon. Big knot, but it doesn't let go. Fished next to a mate who was using 80lbs straight through and hooked 5 fish to his 0. So don't think that it puts the fish off. I think that the lethals use a uni or nail knot of a smaller diameter line and then loctite it all together. I could be wrong.

Awoonga,

I think I get it, the look that you make still goes onto the main line but the end which has both the tags you tie onto the lure with a loop knot. Would mean lure changes are tough but then how often should you change a lure.... Totally different story.

Cheers Scott
    G'Day Plasicin, Just to clear in my mind.....You used a twisted leader and your mate used single strand 80lb leader....did he have leader failure or you happened to catch 5 fish to his 0 making the point that your twisted leader did not put the Barra off....Cheer Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Im not quite sure what knot Glendon @ Lethal Leaders uses in regards to the 4 strand end joining the 2 strands. Id go by the impression that there is NO knot there, just Loctite? Perhaps a very well strung Nail Knot... about only thing I can go by. Either way, I like tying my own.

I have been using Twisted Leaders lately and don't mind them at all... get em to the Boat quick too. Id been using single strand 60's/80lber's (Jinkai) for awile and after one or two nic's from fish I reckon they are just about worm when the big one comes along. I have been showed how to tie a good twisted leader by hand... takes a bit of time but is very good! Works very well with 30lb 10X. This method was shown to me by a mate who was shown by Pete Mamino & Ian Kucurs. Will have to show you NAGG. I finish the knot off (still just using 2 strands) with a 4 turn Uni knot pulled as hard as possible to either a Halco 66kg Snap or a XS Decoy. I like the Decoys better, because most Lure's are easy to thread onto the Snaps... it can be a bit of bother with the Halco's.

Theo
    TT

Thumbs up Re: Barra Masterclass

[quote=NAGG;852608]Thanks for that darylive ......... I've made similar ones hand twisted!
    How do you make them without a crimp & also have 4 strands twisted at the business end ........ like a Lethal

Nagg, I only have two strands, just the line back on itself and I crimp the top; the bottom seems to hold fine because the twist is tight enough on itself. I crimp the top and slide a soft lumo bead over the crimp. this tidies the whole thing up and if you happen to get carried away and wind her up to the rod tip the bead stops at the runner rather than the crimp.

Sorry whitto,

I hooked 5 to my mate's 0. It showed to me that twisted leaders don't turn the fish off given we were both fishing similar lures with similar styles. However that was one trip, could be different on another I suppose.

Scott