Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra Masterclass

Re: Barra Masterclass

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Nipsta..Winter at Awoonga can be just about as good as Summer... The bite time can be smaller but the action can be the same...To me its all about Stable Temps....Maybe that should read stable conditions.. l have included a link to Gladstone,s Bom site to show our conditions at the moment
    http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60...01.94380.shtml hope it works....

Yep totally agree with the stable temps its to me seem to be a very importan key if you got temps varying up and down over a few days they seem to be a bit shy but if it holds constant for a few days they seem to love it . And yep the link works thanks

theo, pretty easy to do a yuo tube, Id love to see that footage

One area that I'm struggling with is leaders! ....... To date there is not a leader or system that I've used that gives me complete confidence Specially with regard to the use of Plastics & to a much lesser extent HBs. In only the last couple of trips several good fish have been lost to worn through 60 & 80lb mono when fish have been hooked deeply in the mouth.
    I really don't want to go to a twisted leader ...... but it may be an option if a split ring is used rather than a snap!
    Before I go down that path I'm going to try 80lb Fluorocarbon ( improved abrasion resistance)
    What do you guys use / do & are you happy with your system ?

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    One area that I'm struggling with is leaders! ....... To date there is not a leader or system that I've used that gives me complete confidence Specially with regard to the use of Plastics & to a much lesser extent HBs. In only the last couple of trips several good fish have been lost to worn through 60 & 80lb mono when fish have been hooked deeply in the mouth.
    I really don't want to go to a twisted leader ...... but it may be an option if a split ring is used rather than a snap!
    Before I go down that path I'm going to try 80lb Fluorocarbon ( improved abrasion resistance)
    What do you guys use / do & are you happy with your system ?

Cheers

Chris
    Chris I use a twisted leader compliments of Jack Erskine design with 100% results, What I plan to do is change to single 80lb f/carbon as well as 100/120lb Braid leader.......Les (McCod) I believe is or has used Braid as their leader, if Les sees this post he may very well comment on his experience's.....I suppose the only reason Im changing is to tie direct to the lure rather than clip...its very possible the clip can change the action and suspension of a lure......Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Chris I use a twisted leader compliments of Jack Erskine design with 100% results, What I plan to do is change to single 80lb f/carbon as well as 100/120lb Braid leader.......Les (McCod) I believe is or has used Braid as their leader, if Les sees this post he may very well comment on his experience's.....I suppose the only reason Im changing is to tie direct to the lure rather than clip...its very possible the clip can change the action and suspension of a lure......Whitto
    Hi Whitto

You'll find that FC will also turn suspenders into sinkers unless you make some adjustments ....... ie remove the tow point split or reduce the size of the splits by one.

Chris

HI Nagg, you don't have to use a clip with a twisted leader, it is quite easy to tie a loop knot if you use less throws. I have gone back to twisted 50lb leader and the bite off with squidgeys have stopped. cheers scott

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    HI Nagg, you don't have to use a clip with a twisted leader, it is quite easy to tie a loop knot if you use less throws. I have gone back to twisted 50lb leader and the bite off with squidgeys have stopped. cheers scott
    Hi Scott

Excuse my ignorance ...... but what do you mean by "less throws" ?

Chris

Yes,l too have gone back to twisted leaders .... Good arvo On Awoonga today.. one twisted leader eight fish to the boat....lost at least the many again.. So tomorrow l better change it.... oh l dont use a clip...just tie the lure on...Works for me ...

See .... What I reckon is ...... A high majority of the IBD sufferers on here fish Mondy ... Home of the Hard bodies !
    Because of this they haven't appreciated the frustrations of worn leaders on a regular basis! ( so no dramas)
    It interests me that both Scott & Trev ......... Awoonga boys have now reverted to twisted leaders >>> INTERESTING!

Nagg

Chris,
    I can tell you what Trev uses, WORKS, seen it happen!

Saw somewhere else that Jack Erskine is about to bring out some wind on leaders, they will be interesting, as long as they don't have a clip.
    Will be in both 50 and 80lb 10x from memory.

I have been playing around with some 120lb braid as a leader, no problems yet, forgot to show it to Trev when i was up there but will next trip.

Cheers,
    John.

Hi Nagg, less throws means less wraps around the main line before you loop it back through the granny knot. Trev just ties a blood knot straight to the squidgey and seems to still catch the occasional fish. cheers scott

See .... What I reckon is ...... A high majority of the IBD sufferers on here fish Mondy ... Home of the Hard bodies !
    Because of this they haven't appreciated the frustrations of worn leaders on a regular basis! ( so no dramas)
    It interests me that both Scott & Trev ......... Awoonga boys have now reverted to twisted leaders >>> INTERESTING!

Nagg
    Naaah theres nothing for leader to wear on at Monduran, shes all plain sailing. I might go back to 20lb

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Naaah theres nothing for leader to wear on at Monduran, shes all plain sailing. I might go back to 20lb

Nice one Steve I'm refering to the mouth of the barra wearing through the leader ( less likely with a stiffy in their gob ..... unlike a deeply inhaled softie ) .......

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    Chris,
    I can tell you what Trev uses, WORKS, seen it happen!

Saw somewhere else that Jack Erskine is about to bring out some wind on leaders, they will be interesting, as long as they don't have a clip.
    Will be in both 50 and 80lb 10x from memory.

I have been playing around with some 120lb braid as a leader, no problems yet, forgot to show it to Trev when i was up there but will next trip.

Cheers,
    John.

John

This is what I came up with ...Attachment 29045... a 50lb twisted leader conected with a simple loop to a 6/O TT 3/8th jig head ( perfect for a 110mm slick rig)
    I pulled against a 25kg weight several times with no knot failure
    i'll give it a swim in the next day or so to see if it detracts from the action of a slicky

Cheers

Nagg

Nice one Steve I'm refering to the mouth of the barra wearing through the leader ( less likely with a stiffy in their gob ..... unlike a deeply inhaled softie ) .......

Chris
    Yeah I know what you meant You would be supprised at the amount of wear you get with HB's too. I have had strikes and hookups that have chaffed leaders. Nearly all fish caught and landed have created some form of damage too. sometimes its quite significant. I have caught plenty of barra ( not nearly as many as Trev or Scotty) on SP's with straight leader (60lb black magic) and have never had a bust off. Mabey I just got lucky.

Steve