Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we get touched up by the Greenies

Re: Why we get touched up by the Greenies

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/park..._map_Mar06.pdf

That is a link to an aerial shot of the go slow zones.I was there today,and couldnt believe what I saw with the boats,flat chat.Seems they dont know about same
    David

Quote Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
    I agree 100% with you Bowser. There are plenty of responsible fishos out on the water. I've seen a few boats going flat strap across the Maroon Banks and some have been large cruisers. It's a pitty there doesn't seem to be the option of impounding their boats for a period. Maybe it would make them take more care when on the water.

Hi Greyfox,
    I was talking to the cops at sommerset a few months ago and they said that they are pushing to bring in the hooning laws that motorists have that allows them to confiscate boats and revoke licenses etc.. Perhaps they won't learn anything from it but they will have trouble re-offending if they have no boat to do it in

It never ceases to bloody amaze me, the numbers who fish or cruise areas, that they have no idea as to what zones or restrictions apply to the area there traversing.
    Christ there are maps staring you in the face, in just about every tackle store outlet or on line, as to what you can and cannot do.
    this also applies to rules and regulations and identy governing any species being targeted.
    Yet they still travel around with their head up their arse, without a care or clue.
    Anyone breaching these restrictions should be send home with their tail between their legs and slapped a heafty fine that will deter them next time, they think the land to horizon is theirs do what they please, bring the wrath of officials down on those that do abide.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/park..._map_Mar06.pdf

That is a link to an aerial shot of the go slow zones.I was there today,and couldnt believe what I saw with the boats,flat chat.Seems they dont know about same
    David

Thanks for posting that link David.

Much around on the banks?. It has been a few weeks since I have fished there.
    I hope to head over early next week when this SE changes blows out!.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    there are maps staring you in the face, in just about every tackle store outlet or on line, as to what you can and cannot do.
    this also applies to rules and regulations and identy governing any species being targeted.
    Anyone breaching these restrictions should be send home with their tail between their legs and slapped a heafty fine that will deter them next time, they think the land to horizon is theirs do what they please, bring the wrath of officials down on those that do abide.
    regards
    G'day!

The problem is the maps are still in the tacklke stores. I think not only should they be fined for excessive speed in restricted zones but should cop another fine if demonstrate that they have the knowledge or a map or other device on their boat so they know the boundaries of the restricted areas in which they are boating.

Ray De R

Onya mate, I too was in the same area one day and approx 100 to 120 dugong passed by and under my tinnie, it was my first dugong sighting in the bay , and what a moment it was, I got so excited even had to ring the missus to tell her about it., pretty special. I,m also peeved about how we fishos are perceived by the do good greenies , and mostly unfairly I reckon because most of the guys I know do the right thing , as I try to as well, and why wouldn,t you want to protect our bay and have it there for all to enjoy. Just goes to show that it only takes 1 or 3 idiots to stuff it up for all. cheers Roy.

i have witnessed 2 hunts for dugong, one in shoalwater bay by traditional landowners and the other in moreton bay by uq/seaworld research team.
    in both cases high powered ,high speed and highly manuverable boats were used.in both cases the hunters had to chase the animals until they were exhausted before they could capture them.so i think that any dugong that is struck by a boat must have some thing severly wrong with it if it cant evade an aproaching vessel.the maps provided are usless because the legislation states that the boundry is along a depth contour of 2 metres at low tide.sandbanks being sand banks change daily.the fishos are being used as a scapegoat while the goverment sits back and allows wetlands to be filled,bush cleared & catchement areas developed.corparations that are caught polluting our streams and rivers escape with a slap on the wrist while we lose a weeks income if it is decided our boats are planing in the wrong area

Quote Originally Posted by Pride-Pride View Post
    Hi Greyfox,
    I was talking to the cops at sommerset a few months ago and they said that they are pushing to bring in the hooning laws that motorists have that allows them to confiscate boats and revoke licenses etc.. Perhaps they won't learn anything from it but they will have trouble re-offending if they have no boat to do it in
    This is the way to go.I don't know the laws in QLD but here in Vic it's supposed to be a 5 knot limit when travelling within 50 metres of another vessel,which is just one rule of course.

The amount of times that I've been happily fishing and had boats of all sizes zoom past within a few metres and nearly capsize my (former,smaller) boat,is verging on the obscene.Thes bastards,just like road speeders with a racing fantasy,need to be hit hard by vessel confiscations and not just for a paltry day or so-better to take it for good. My life and your lives are worth at least that much don't you think??

Darren

Thumbs up Re: Why we get touched up by the Greenies

Good on ya, boys. Iam a new member on this site and enjoy reading the threads. This one hits the spot. We are lucky to have such a good bay available to use so we should look after it for ourselves and the kids. There will always be people that don't have time or the brains to do a little research on where they are going and what rules apply. Others couldn't give a rats about protecting our wildlife. It's fairly hard to change peoples attitude to something because this don't care attitude is bred into them, and they in turn pass it on. Anyway, it is easier to live with oneself if doing the right thing. Let the dickh....s speed and hopefully they will hit a reef or sandbank and speed no more. Good on ya fellers and keep up the good work. rareone.