Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Counting to ten..it's over...I hope

Re: Counting to ten..it's over...I hope

Thanks everyone for your input, thoughts, opinions etc...

It's been a while now, and all the signs are good.

I will be taking the Nissan for a 3 day offroad excursion from this Saturday.

I have NOT recieved promised fax containing all work done and a review of the situation regarding the head....... did I really think I would get it ?

At the end of the day, the service I recieved from this place was well below standard and in fact poor. The communication levels were none existent and the time taken to complete the job was way too long. Whether the workshop is understaffed, busy etc is not my problem, it is a business and therefore must provide the service it offers, in this case it did not.

I know I will never take my vehicle back to that business and I encourage others to ' get in writing ' any work to be done and time limits etc, if they intend to use them.

To sum it up, the Nissan ( work vehicle ) was in the shop a total of 44 days for a job that should have taken no more than a week and in fact, speaking to others, could have been completed in 3 days.

I spent hard earned on travelling back and forth to drop off Nissan, missed several hours of work, stress waiting for return of vehicle, missing weekend adventures with family, and the 44 days car hire, which could have cost in excess of $1,300, had I not been in a position of having another vehicle.

I will put this down to experience, but I do not want to experience this sort of thing again

On the bright side, I rang local mech about an oil change and he said just phone ahead an hour and we'll fit it in. Did that Monday, rang shop, turned up 40 minutes later...... 25 minutes after that I was on my way again, job done. To add to this, it was one of the cleanest workshops I have ever seen, all apprentices and mech's wore a uniform and were efficient and polite. This is a private business, not a franchise, so to Clint at Sherwood Automotive Services, thanks for the professional" service ".

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

bugga !

It appears that all is not OK.

A couple of weeks back a noise started under the bonnet. Came in at about 2200rpm through all gears.

Would not do it while car was stationary, only under load.

This noise to me sounded like a Throw Out Bearing........

It also had me thinking of a bearing of some sorts ( maybe one that was drowned some time ago ) air con, power steering ???? It even sounded like a fanbelt, you know that skreeching sound.

So, stopped off at my fav 4 x 4 shop at Slacks Creek and spoke to Brad.

Looking under the bonnet he noticed a bolt missing from the alternator bracket... mmmmm not good. Put in new bolt, but noise still there. We managed to get the motor to make the noise while stationary.

he and other mech decided I should not drive car as it appeared the problem could be in the turbo. damn.....................

Next day I get phone call late arvo saying issue is fixed.

Seems that ' other ' ( problem mechanic ) got a little slack. All bolts around the turbo, intake and manifold were loose. The gasket at the flange was also loose and " not happy ". The noise was intake sucking air.

There is not doubt how this happened. So, I am now at pains whether to call "other ' mech and let he know about his ineptitude.

I will have to replace the manifold / flange gasket down the track of course, but again, it was not my fault. The ' other ' mech caused this to happen. It will cost me a day labour ( mechanic ) and bugga all for the flange gasket and my vehicle off the road for another day. NO......... this is not a Nissan issue you Toyota drivers.

The Nissan is going well and has just clicked over 200,000k's..... and is 6 years old.

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 05-11-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Maybe the time has come Phil
    cheers
    blaze

I have been pondering that question blaze.

I have a few things to consider atm in regard to the Nissan.

Firstly, only the bottom end of the motor and turbo are the items that have not been touched or renewed. So the car is fairly new... considering.

I now know it inside out.

It has a shit load of extras that have made it a ' comfortable " car.

It is setup for work and play.... which I now realise is to my detriment.

There are tax issues involved.

I also am at crossroads whether to place myself into a big financial commitment buying a new vehicle.....atm.

I did look under the bonnet of the new 300plus kilowatt Toyota HiLux yesterday..... HOLY CRAP !!!!!

I am sure an omen will come to me.............. trouble is ... will, I recognize it ???

phill

I'd be taking a dump in his letterbox, for sure. Beyond that, hell, what have you got? I can maybe organise a couple of Maori Boys to go and "visit" him, if you like...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Going back to original mechanic might help with the cost again Phil, it must still be under warranty?? Especially for work that is obviously due to slackness.

But the question lies in whether you want to take the risk of getting him under your bonnet again, the downtime in how long he is likely to have your truck is enough reasoning for me not to. Then there is the risk that he might snap a bolt, or something that will have a dominos affect to the other parts ofthe motor. There is no amount of complaining or leaving presents in his letterbox that will cough up an apology - the man has no conscience. Tough decisions!

Scalem

I recommend the Hilux. I got an SR5 petrol version as a work car now. Nice is an understatement.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Phil, mate, digger, buddy, pal. It doesn't end....EVER!!!

Didn't your dad ever teach you. If it's got t@*& or tyres your gunna have to pay for it. FOREVER!!

And the last time I looked your ute had tyres so.....

Have a nice day
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Get one of these Phill!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Get it fixed, hang on to it and start saving for when it does need to be replaced.

It didn't let you down this time, some slack prick did.

I recon Finger has hit the nail on the head with this one.
    Many a time i have reminded myself of that little saying.
    The trouble is i cant live without either.

neil

I'm with the boys on that one, and having seen what you do to cars first hand Phil - no new car you buy will stay that way for long so I'd recommend persisting with the Nissan. Sounds like you've got a good mech now - get her checked out. If not I've got a datto man at Buranda who'll restore your faith in the old girl. The time to lose her was one week after LCMP - not now.

Holy crap Phill that was an epic. You certainly are a patient man,, We all could learn something from that.

A mech that i trust down that way is Logan City Automotive in Monte st. He's worked on my cars for years,,, from 54 Holdens to 02 Mitzy van. It's good to know who you're dealing with and the peace of mind is priceless.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

hey phill did you take the car back for retensioning of the intake and exhaust manifold bolts? this is ment to happen after you have any of the manifolds off! the heat causes expansion and contraction of the motor and there for when the gaskets settle the bolts will be loose! same thing when ya go to get a new exhaust/extractors, they tell ya come back in a week for a retighten!

GBC hit the nail on the head....you know you really love that car Phil really,,

it just needs a bit more TLC mate... between beatings
    Tangles KFC