Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Counting to ten..it's over...I hope

Counting to ten..it's over...I hope

Not having a whinge but !

A couple of weeks ago the Nissan dropped all water from the radiator ( or so it appeared ) on the way back from Mackay to Brisvegas.

Made calls etc and got un-named as yet, mech to fix vehicle.

New head, Injectors, Timing Chain, Boost Sensor, Glow Plug, Gaskets, Idler Pulley, repair alternator and little bits extra.... cost.... ( 6 days in shop ) just under 6 g's....

Take Nissan back after 1000 k's to have head re-tensioned. 2 days in shop.

Oil leaks from tappet cover...... take it back. 2 days in shop.

radiator explodes... new radiator.... and water still leaks out .

Leaking from Timing chain cover. back to shop. 3 days in shop.

get vehicle back, drive 60 k's up the road ... uses 750mls of water....

get home, discover radiator overflow bubbling and spurting out water.

Make various calls.... all agree.... system is pressurising.... why... head issues/ gasket issues....

So, going back to shop Monday.... another 3 days.

The shop is 30 minutes across town from home....

I will add this is my work vehicle..............

No loaner was offered, but I do have another vehicle I can use... not the point.

Is anyone getting a tad frustrated ??????

For those that want to know, the head cracked because the Boost Sensor broke, allowing 35lbs of boost to go through the turbo etc. Now without the fuel to compensate, it was running H O T T, but jeez it went. Don't know how long the sensor was not operating .

I have installed a Boost Gauge to keep an eye on things.

I have the feeling this is the last time I will return vehicle to this particular mechanic to rectify his mistakes..... I mean, I know I have to return vehicle to allow business operator to make good his mistakes, but how many times is enough before one can go somewhere else and get it done right ?

No, he hasn't charged me for any follow up repairs, but is that the point, time off work to take vehicle there and pick up and the cost of fuel getting there and back is starting to add up......

It's funny you know, in the construction industry, there is a thing called " retention " whereby a contractor gets paid all but 5% -10% of his quote. After a period of time, that retention is paid. This has to do with making sure the contractor comes back to make good any mistakes, and in my case " Painting touch-ups ". Wonder if this system could apply across the board to all trades and services ?

follow report next week..... I hope all is positive.

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 29-06-2008 at 06:39 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Counting to ten !!!

You are in a bad way Phill and it's the sort of thing you would not wish upon your enemy. Stay Positive and find a point where you go elsewhere.

I could see all prices going up by 5-10% if that retention thinking comes to fruition.

Government would love it as all the tax collected would rise by 5-10%

Chris

Phill is that the same mechanic that I saw you doing a beer delivery to once to thank him for his services? I think the table has turned if that is the same guy because I reckon he not only owes it to you to fix his mistakes but he must be up to at least 2 cartons by now as a good faith payment to you.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

NO, Poo, I have never delivered beer to this guy. First time I have ever used him. Same as Brians..... man !!! shhhhhh ! for now.

Not good Phill Good luck with it all mate.. keen to hear what happens next.

Cheers
    Brandon...

I have to say Phil that you are a lot slower counter than me. By now I would be telling said mechanic that said vehicle would be relocated to a certain part of his anatomy that does not see sunlight.

Hi Phil
    Seen this when ya first put it up and been thinking (thats dangerous), makes me wonder if you have a cracked block. Only ever seen it twice, once on a dry sleeve perkins engine, pinhole in a sleeve to the water gallery. This was on a forklift that I was contracted to do repairs and maintance on. Took for ever to find it as there was no evidence of water in the oil, seemed to only pressurisethe system some times. Ended up fitting a new engine. The other time I have seen a cracked block was in a Cat D7 and this was in an oil gallery. The leaking oil gasket should not happen, didnt take me long in the trade to use a gasket compound of some sort on all gaskets to eliminate these failures because if you dont use something there always seems to be a high percentage of failures (sholdnt be but thats the way it is). What to do, I think at this point I would have his left testie sitting on a plate with a blunt knife next to it and explain that his right one is going to end up there real soon. I think you will have to stick with him a bit longer Phil. Hope the prognosis improves.
    cheers
    blaze

With Blaze here, something undiagnosed happening, its simply too easy to put an engine together with new parts if good care and preparation is taken, no excuse for the constant oil leaks - sounds sloppy.

Mondays expert and all, not meant to be a downer with a 'shoulda' 'coulda' - my car has 2 fail safe's atm and if it were turbo it would have 3, 1 is an enginesaver low water alarm and the other is an after market water temperature gauge (that reads engine metal temperature) with settable alarm and low oil pressure alarm.

Outlay around the $400 dollar mark as I fitted them myself although the potential repayed value is litterally many thousands as nothing untoward can happen in real time now without me being warned, big peace of mind considering the outlandish costs these days, not to mention the down time involved as a result.

cheers fnq

sorry to hear your drama.
    But i think blaze might be onto something. For your sake i hope he is wrong.
    If the thing got super hot it may have cracked a piston sleeve thus pushing compresed air in through the crack and pressurising the cooling system.

Not defending the guy but if there is a crack maybe invisible to the naked eye.

either that or the guys a numbskull and hes put the gasket on the wrong way or something stupid.

neil

i would be asking if new head bolts were used . 35lb of boost hitting it would of stretched all the bolts on the head and maybe warped the tappet cover also ,

was the head bolt holes checked thourgly for stress cracks in them , they may have split in the holes into a water jacket

hi mate i know what your going through its a bloody nitemare i had a all the same dramers whith my nissan. in the end it had a cracked block. what id like to know is it the same butcher that done my car in bris. can u give a hint on his name. all the best.
    rob.

thanks Blaze, I hope ya wrong though....

FNQ, yes, I believe the newer nissans have a sensor that will adjust the fuel intake to suit the boost, thereby eliminating the heat problem, but you'll notice extra fuel usage. I have also been advised that a Oil Temperature gauge is a good idea.

No water has gone into oil system.....

Billy, yes, new head bolts were used in the repairs.

Bobby/ Honky , I won't name this bloke, I feel that there may be circumstances beyond his control that have lead to this issue,( basically giving him the benefit of the doubt ) but his shop is on the south side of Brissie. Also, he stated to me that he has done many of these , therefore extolling his experience........ so with that experience, a cracked block would have been taken into account, one would think... I haven't asked yet.

Funny thing is, I was offered a long motor with 80,000k on it installed for the same price as the repair. From different source.

Greg..... I am up to 9.5........... see how things go next week.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep you informed...

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    With Blaze here, something undiagnosed happening, its simply too easy to put an engine together with new parts if good care and preparation is taken, no excuse for the constant oil leaks - sounds sloppy.

Mondays expert and all, not meant to be a downer with a 'shoulda' 'coulda' - my car has 2 fail safe's atm and if it were turbo it would have 3, 1 is an enginesaver low water alarm and the other is an after market water temperature gauge (that reads engine metal temperature) with settable alarm and low oil pressure alarm.

Outlay around the $400 dollar mark as I fitted them myself although the potential repayed value is litterally many thousands as nothing untoward can happen in real time now without me being warned, big peace of mind considering the outlandish costs these days, not to mention the down time involved as a result.

cheers fnq

All Turbo engines should be fitted with a Pyrometer
    this will tell you more about the engine than just water/oil temp gauges
    it will tell you in an instant if your engine is running too lean/over boosted or to rich/under boosted

gives you a good idea how hard the engine is working at all times
    you won't need a boost gauge if you have a Pyrometer

for those that don't already know
    it measure exhaust gas temperature

low coolant/oil engine cut offs should also be fitted as a matter of course(though most already have low oil cutoff as standard)

Kev
    Last edited by Kevaclone; 18-05-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

All the best with it all Phill. I know there is probably nothing that I can help you with but if you think of something (Other than paying for your mechanical expenses) just give me a yell!

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

thanks Kev.and poo !

I was advised some time ago to get EGT gauge, but this was in answer to my question about turbo timers and the need to have the turbo cool enough to turn off.

This advise was given by Big Kev.... Real Hard.... and hindsight is a wonderful thing hey ?

The Nissan has a low water / high temp cut off system in place and this is what saved the engine the first time coming back from Mackay.

Phill