Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Loomis Rods

Re: Loomis Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I always found it frustrating as a rod builder that Loomis was some how the benchmark that all other rods would and could be judged. Im glad those days are long gone.I’m not going to say Loomis is crap because they where in fact at the top of the pile many years ago. Back then they did have some very unique proprietary equipment they used to roll their blanks that no one else had. This put them at the top because of the quality and performance they were achieving in their blanks. I mean there blanks where very light, the blank walls where scary thin, and yet the power was insane. This was radical stuff back then. You can thank Loomis for the cutting edge designs they produced years ago because with out those designs every other company would still be 10 years behind.

Stu
    Digging this one up from the depths... I've only really bought and used Loomis rods because I think their blanks were the best, I'm curious to find out, now that many companies have caught up with Loomis, which blanks would you recommend as being as good or better than Loomis, specifically in the bream sticks... 7ft 2-4kg rating or 1-3kg rating?

I own a Loomis GLX 8400 7 ft 3-6kg. Super light and very powerful .. go the dark side!!

I would put CTS at the top of the list.

Stu

Like Stuart, I would go a CTS or United Composites. I also know Tony Davis of Fishfinder in Sydney has some great blanks made by Kilwell for bream. They're a little cheaper than the first 2 brands mentioned but just as good.

Mark

Have a look at the Samuria 302. Excellent for 3 kg.

Jeff.
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.

i would like to throw another name in the ring, St Croix, i picked up one of there rods in Hong Kong for about 60 Bucks and it is the best rod i have played with. i am just gonna start my first rod build and have located the distributor for St Croix blanks over here, and his prices are comparable to anywhere i have seen so i will be buying some of my blanks from him. my local has a good selection of guides etc and he is reasonable with his prices so he gets my business as well. i agree that you can get gear cheaper overseas but if you have the time and hunt about you can still pick up a bargain or two here. so buy local if you can
    p.s. i have also bought from overseas when the need arises and a bargain can be had

Currently have 4 custom made loomis rods in the range of 10 -40 lb overhead and spin rods , Also have 2 Stcroix custom rods both Plastic rods 6-10 and 10-15kg . I do like the Stcroix blanks, they have a particular manufacturing method that eliminates the internal tube join which gives it significantly more strength and hopefully less chance of breaking if it is high sticked. I think you will see a lot more Stcroix rods getting around in the future.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech