Thread: Lake Michigan brown trout

Lake Michigan brown trout

Hello all,

My brother took advantage of some warmer weather we've had over here and went fishing. He did pretty well, landing three largemouth bass, a smallmouth bass and this pretty decent brown trout. He didn't have a camera with him at the lake so I don't have pictures of the bass. The trout measured in at 27 inches. He caught it on a CC Shad by Cotten Cordel (a hard bodied plastic crank bait).
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Re: Lake Michigan brown trout

Damn nice trout that one EC.

Whats the average size of browns in Lake Michigan?

Is LM stocked these days or still a totally natural fish stock?

Jack.

Hi Tunaticer,

I'm not an expert on the trout or salmon really but I'd say that fish is slightly larger than average. I've seen them smaller and some that were larger and then there are some that are much much much larger. The record for Illinois is 37 pounds. I'd say my brother's fish was around 10 so that record fish was almost 4 times the size of this fish. Big net required!

My personal best brown trout was a skimpy 8 inches at best. I caught it when I was just a little kid while fishing for yellow perch. Like I said, I'm NOT an expert. Not even close.

I believe that most of the brown trout are stocked fish. There are a few places that some trout and salmon spawn but they are in Indiana (SouthEast of here) and Wisconsin (North of here).

Another place that has really big brown trout is in Arkansas. The White River.

Hopefully, I'll get to go with him next time and catch one or some coho salmon. I REALLY need to beat my "personal best." I've been made fun of pretty good about it for quite a while now.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Beautiful fish there mate. Would love to have seen piccies of the bass.
    Always good to see what anglers are scoring around the other side of the planet.

Thanks mate.

nice fish there mate

nice michigan brown. ontario has a few nice ones, too.
    lol! i'm on an aussie site and run into pics from someone a days drive away!
    small world, eh?