Thread: Council elections

Council elections

Hi All,
    The coming Qld council elections have given us a golden opportunity to vent our fury at the sneaky deals between labour and greens (extreme or not).

Go for it. let your pencil do the talking.

As a paid up life long unionist and a fisherman I will never vote labour again.

Cheers
    Stue
    Last edited by Blueroo; 01-03-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Re: Council elections

Stue,

Never a truer word said! Let your VOTE mean something to these local councilors that are not performing or looking after our interests; give em the boot.

This is step one, churn those locally will start putting the State mongrels on notice a change is coming.

Thanks for bringing this up mate. Be interesting to see who out there has the gastro-intestinal fortitude to do this come election day.

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Very true.... This is a golden opportunity to send a clear message to our polititicians that they serve all Queenslanders not just their green bedmates.

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryan View Post
    Stue,

Never a truer word said! Let your VOTE mean something to these local councilors that are not performing or looking after our interests; give em the boot.

This is step one, churn those locally will start putting the State mongrels on notice a change is coming.

Thanks for bringing this up mate. Be interesting to see who out there has the gastro-intestinal fortitude to do this come election day.

Chris
    So let me get this right Chris, you and the guys are suggesting we teach Labour a lesson by (at least in Brizzy) returning Lord Mayor Campbell Newman and kicking out enough sitting Labour councillors so that Newman and his "can do team" gain full control of Brisbane. Is this realy in the best interest of Brisbane anglers or is it about settling scores? Do you know what Newman's plans for the bay are or is this another knee jerk reaction that will push us further up S##t Creek without a paddle.

Straight from Lord Mayor Newman's web site.

"The mayors are seeking to transform Moreton Bay into a Fraser Coast-style eco-destination."

"Regional Mayors Allan Sutherland, Don Seccombe and Joy Leishman have joined with Campbell Newman to form the Moreton Bay Task Force of Mayors and position the Bay region as a popular community destination that must be protected"

“We know that Moreton Bay is special - now we have to keep it that way.”

"The Mayors are promoting the stunning natural region as an eco-tourism destination to uncover and, importantly, preserve the area's natural potential."

"Cr Newman said the Moreton Bay region was an unrivalled natural asset, perfect for nature-based activities such as dolphin feeding, whale watching, and kite surfing." THIS IS WHERE I'D HOPED NEWMAN MIGHT HAVE INCLUDED FISHING

AND MY FAVOURITE
    "Visitor revenue will be put back into conservation efforts to protect the Bay" region

Over 400 words on Newman's web site about Morton Bay but angling or fishing isn't mentioned once, doesn't sound like our best interests to me.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    So let me get this right Chris, you and the guys are suggesting we teach Labour a lesson by (at least in Brizzy) returning Lord Mayor Campbell Newman and kicking out enough sitting Labour councillors so that Newman and his "can do team" gain full control of Brisbane. Is this realy in the best interest of Brisbane anglers or is it about settling scores? Do you know what Newman's plans for the bay are or is this another knee jerk reaction that will push us further up S##t Creek without a paddle.

Can't quite see where I said that Mike. I am positive my post said to vote out those councillors that are not performing to our best interest. There are a lot of Liberal party members out there as much as there are Labor and Independant that are more than lackluster in supporting the fisho.

I really don't care what flavour of politics they come from. If they don't have the guts to stand up and be counted in this stupidity in Moreton, then get rid of them. If you feel Labor and their Green friends will look after Brisbane better, go for it. Similarly if you feel Campbell Newman is the better choice, go for it. I really am only after one thing - find those candidates that actually have the guts to stand up to this craziness.

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Yes Chris but you said
    "This is step one, churn those locally will start putting the State mongrels on notice a change is coming."

How would churning anyone but a labour Councillor put those State Mongrels (your words) on notice a change is coming????? Me thinks you do care what flavour of politics they come from.

Do The Fishing Parties in any of their guises support Lord Mayor Newman's plans to turn Moreton Bay into an international eco-tourisim destination, which if established I'll guarantee will be calling for at least 30% of the bay turned into a green zone as per the so called world standard???

If this was the Labour Council's plans there would be screaming from the roof tops, meetings, boat rallies ect ect. But the silence is deafening.
    I'm really starting to worry that the chance to achieve the best deal possible for Moreton Bay anglers given the current situation is being clouded by political ideology.
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 02-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    Yes Chris but you said
    "This is step one, churn those locally will start putting the State mongrels on notice a change is coming."

How would churning anyone but a labour Councillor put those State Mongrels (your words) on notice a change is coming????? Me thinks you do care what flavour of politics they come from.

Do The Fishing Parties in any of their guises support Lord Mayor Newman's plans to turn Moreton Bay into an international eco-tourisim destination, which if established I'll guarantee will be calling for at least 30% of the bay turned into a green zone as per the so called world standard???

Got any alternate solutions Mike???

I can get to Newman personally but I'm guessing the pitiful resources at council level will never budge a state labour decision to shaft you, me and every other fisherman out there.

How about you contact your Labor guys and try to get some sense out of them. If you pretend to be a greenie that might even take your call!

I'm sorry but I don't have any Labour mates or contacts, believe me if I did I'd be leaning on them big time. If you do have sway with Newman I hope you can use it to let him know how SEQ fishermen feel about his grand plan (he calls it his number priority on his web site, I thought that would've been the tunnels).
    One thing that scares me is that for him to came up with this plan so close to an election the Lib's polling must show a fair degree of public excceptance to green zones and eco-tourisim and that won't go unnoticed by the current State Gov.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 02-03-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Deep Green seems to be a colour that is more than acceptable to Labor, and Lib/Nats. OK, maybe not the Nats :-)

After all, who brought us GBRMPA?

There are extremists like PETA etc who are very clever at wooing voters and politicians from both sides of politics, and we need the skills and $ to meet their challenge

Mike,

Seriously I really don't have any care for any political party. You can think what you like about that.

Why can't we find people rather than Parties? Why wouldn't putting a vocal group of people who give a toss about Moreton and our lifestyle into Local Council give it a shake? These people are there to serve US as voters, tax payers, ratepayers etc and yet we never really see that.

Why wouldn't putting people in Local Council that will work for our benefit make the State Elections more interesting knowing we have the guts to do the same?

Why does it have to be Party A over Party B all the time. I think it is time for some people to get over this Party based "I always voted..." crap and find the individuals that can and will make a difference.

As for the Fishing Parties.........don"t know nor care about TFP's opinion on this. AFLP are wanting and are pushing to find these individuals that have the guts to go against the grain. So far, in State Government the only ones making any noise in our favour is the National Party. If any other group was doing the same as they are, then I would put their comments up here just like I have with theirs........but all I see is silence.

So what plans or ideas do YOU have for this? How do YOU think we can change the direction via election mechanisms? Rather than pick on others, come up with something and send it up the flagpole - that goes for everyone reading this actually. Stop sitting back waiting for someone else to fix these issues for you and get involved, do something and get off your asses to help protect what you enjoy doing.

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Seeing as I in the Newly amalgumated Red Cliff Pine Rivers electorate, I have had all sorts knocking at my door.

Recently I had a guy from Redcliff come down to talk up the candidate for Major. He aked if there was anything of concern he might be able to find out information for me about.

I hit him straight up and said, where do you stand on the re-zoning of Moreton Bay.

Responce - Blank stare. What rezoning? and how does this affect you.

There is no idea within some of the teams running for these roles and what they think they should or shouldn't do. He took my details and said I will get back to you. Three weeks on and I am still waiting for the call.

I have also looked up their websites for information, nothing. No one candidate has commented on the re-zoning, and yet it is on the forshore of their electorate.

Not good enough.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning