Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D.I.Y Jigheads

Re: D.I.Y Jigheads

Hey Esky,

It's probably better that some of the other guys here from down south give you a few pointers on weights and hook sizes for down there as I tend to use bigger than most of the stuff you might use down there.

Saying that though, i do like the TT brand of jig heads if you are going to buy them and i've heard the Nitro ones aren't too bad either

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by esky83 View Post
    Ive been reading up on about making jigheads, and im keen to start. The problem is that i havent done much fishing with soft plastic's yet so i dont know what to go for. I only recently bought a boat and enjoying going out into the bay, and picking up larger fish than i get in the estuaries( bream and flathead).

So any info on weights of the jigs, hook size and brand would be appreciated . I would like to be able to have just one mould that does multiple sizes that i need.
    Hi Esky83,

Richard is having too much fun catching reefies up north and likes using his 3/8 ounze But in the bay, I like using a modified 1/8th where i had to widen the mould where the hook shaft fits. As described earlier, I don't think you will ever get a mould to fit exactly to the brand of hook you use, particularly the Heavy wire. I think the darter jig head suits our needs, it is a streamlined shape that allows it to get close to the bottom with minimal weight. Most days I can even go one smaller to the 1/16th oz described on the do -it site here http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=18

I know it is my preference to cover off as many choices of weights all in one mould, but it is not easy to acheive that. But you will notice there is 1/4 and 3/8 ounze in the same shape, it just means you have to buy two moulds. I think I might just do that soon.

Here's a deal for you. Come to Poodroos' jighead making and knot tying meet and greet this weekend, and I will give you a sample darter jighead or two to try for yourself. We will show you how to rig them up.

Scalem

Hi Scalem,

thanks for the info, i was really keen to go to the M&G on this weekend but work is really backed up at the moment and i have to work most of the day it is on. If there is ever another one on im in, cause it always a good idea to learn more knots and find out what other people use.

I just had a look at the site again, and found this one

Egg Head Jig EGJ-6-A

Item# Type Collar Cavities Salt
    Compatible Hook Style 3330 Egg Head Jig Ring & Barb 6 (1 Each Size) No 570-575 Sizes (oz.)1/16 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 Hook Sizes2 1 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0

I thought this might work just as well the darter jig and i think the 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 should be all that i need. It will just take me a little longer to produce the numbers to start with. But at least i would be saving money in long run.

if you could let me know what you think

Esky

Hi Scalem,

thanks for the info, i was really keen to go to the M&G on this weekend but work is really backed up at the moment and i have to work most of the day it is on. If there is ever another one on im in, cause it always a good idea to learn more knots and find out what other people use.

I just had a look at the site again, and found this one

Egg Head Jig EGJ-6-A

Item# Type Collar Cavities Salt
    Compatible Hook Style 3330 Egg Head Jig Ring & Barb 6 (1 Each Size) No 570-575 Sizes (oz.)1/16 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 Hook Sizes2 1 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0

I thought this might work just as well the darter jig and i think the 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 should be all that i need. It will just take me a little longer to produce the numbers to start with. But at least i would be saving money in long run.

if you could let me know what you think

Esky

Esky,

That's actually a very good find if you want to make several different sizes. It was quite a while ago that I bought my darter mold, my guess is that the egg was not available back then, or not in stock. Truth is that Iwouldn't mind getting an egg head myself. What you will find is that you will take a while pouring if you want only one or two sizes, where I can pour 3 of either size darter at a time.

However!! That is not always the case, because I am pouring straight out of an old saucepan ( which the wife still has not missed! ) it can be difficult controlling the pour. You fill cavity one and accidentally pour a small amount into cavity 2 alongside it, and unless you keep the lead flowing at exactly the right rate, the lead will solidify before all the cavity is filled up in cavity 2. A few curses and choice words will see you placing the lead back on the flame, because by then, the main lead has cooled to the extent it won't flow correctly anyhow. This is why they have casting ladles http://www.do-itmolds.com/product.aspx?i=261 which will help control the pour. I have GOT TO get one of these!!!

With your egg head, if you were after only one size, you get one crack at it. If you miss it, you will have to open the mold, melt the lead off the unsuccessful hook if it has any, clean it off, reset it and try again ( without getting your fingers burned, which is all difficult with gloves on, so it's better to throw that unsuccessful attempt aside to cool) I still like my darter with 3 of each size, so if I average 2 or 3 successful jigheads per pour, I won't be there forever! Poodroo and I knocked over 100 jigheads in about 90 mins last time we did a session.

Scalem

Scalem,

Thats a good point about if I only want the one size, I could keep stuffing it up and end up taking a long time to do a few. Gives me something to think about. Guess now i just have to decide whether to buy 1 mold or buy 2 so i can have multiply attempts in the one mold.

Thanks for all your help on the subject, you have certainly helped me.

Esky

Scalem,

Thats a good point about if I only want the one size, I could keep stuffing it up and end up taking a long time to do a few. Gives me something to think about. Guess now i just have to decide whether to buy 1 mold or buy 2 so i can have multiply attempts in the one mold.

Thanks for all your help on the subject, you have certainly helped me.

Esky
    No worries Esky, glad to help. I don't know why I haven't bought a pouring ladle yet, but if I had, I could probably reliably suggest the egg head where your pouring is 100% accurate. I'd give it a go!

Scalem

I will give it a go Scalem with the ladle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Malcolm View Post
    For anyone interested in Bream/flathead size Jig Heads my set-up was $100 (not including hooks or lead) I make my Jigs using Gamakatsu hooks in sizes 1/32 - 1/4 for between 9 - 18 cents using bought snapper lead.

so with me being 22 and fishing for at least another 40 years the $100 bucks is more of an investment to save me money rather than an expense

Cheers,

Mark
    Hi Mark

do you have any details ........ I like the sound of this! get a couple of mates together & it becomes a real bargain

Nagg

The other option instead of a pouring ladle is a melting pot which you can REALLY control the rate at which it pours.

They are a bit expensive to start with, but as Nagg suggested, get a few mates together and it would be easily worth it.

That's what I'm actually doing up here, there's three of us who are putting in for the equipment and it won't take long for us to save us money and be ahead.

I bought a Lee melting pot which is designed for bullet production. Should be good and will hopefully be arriving in a week or so. When I get it sorted i might even take a video that I can post up here to show how much easier it is (hopefully). Might be all that is needed for some people to bite the bullet (jig) and buy one

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The other option instead of a pouring ladle is a melting pot which you can REALLY control the rate at which it pours.

They are a bit expensive to start with, but as Nagg suggested, get a few mates together and it would be easily worth it.

That's what I'm actually doing up here, there's three of us who are putting in for the equipment and it won't take long for us to save us money and be ahead.

I bought a Lee melting pot which is designed for bullet production. Should be good and will hopefully be arriving in a week or so. When I get it sorted i might even take a video that I can post up here to show how much easier it is (hopefully). Might be all that is needed for some people to bite the bullet (jig) and buy one

Richard
    Bring it on Richard, love to see it!!! Might be worth a drive up.... Err Just kiddin!

Scalem

For those that want to try a bit of color on their heads.

http://www.hiltsmolds.com/PowderCoatPaints.htm

They also have larger moulds in the "Mojo" range. 6oz to 24oz for the real big boys. They paypal as well.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Mark

do you have any details ........ I like the sound of this! get a couple of mates together & it becomes a real bargain

Nagg
    Hi Nagg,

Yeh sure what details are you after?? My basic setup is the starter kit (round head jig) from the Do-it mould website (not very expensive to get on the net especially with current exchange rates from us - aus) Makes the following size Jig heads:

"Round head Jig - assorted sizes Models:RHB-7-A"
    1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2oz jig heads. Has "designated sizes" for each weight but basically you can fit in any size hook that fits!! this being the case is no probs making 1/16th oz #6 - #1/0 size hooks for breambo's. Buying the chemically sharpened Gammi's in bulk is a great way to get ur value from the jigs and the larger sizes are great for Bass and flatty/snapper and use Mustads for the larger sizes.

If the hook fits the mould use it Worse case scenario theres a thin ridge on the lead which can be pressed back to round by hand or left as is (will wear off after a few bumps) and I find the ridge on the collar helps keep your plastics on the Jig head.

The starter kit from do-itmoulds.com comes with a ladle, small pot to melt lead, head paints and instructional dvd with some yank showing you how to use the lead moulds.

Then all you need is a good pair of gloves (lead can get a bit hot at times), a mask as described earlier in thread, a camping propane or gas burner (i just use propane and the refills are between 3 & 6 bucks and lasts for ages), and a good pair of pliers and clippers to cut off lead to turn a 1/16th oz jig into a 1/20th etc.

Then its a simple case of get the lead hot, add hook to mould and poor in lead using ladle. Lead cools almost instantly and open up and wriggle off excess lead and chuck back in the melting pot.

Cannot find a better hook than the gammi's and it's good to know that the jigs you make have the best quality hooks to ensure good hook-up rate and is a hell of a lot cheaper than a dollar a jig.

I'm happy with the basic set-up but will be looking to upgrade to get more sizes between the 1/8 - 1/32 range to further expand my collection of jigs.

Once set up costs are covered it doesn't take long to see the savings!!

I know someone who makes jig heads out of split shot sinkers and wire and hooks and they where between 22 and 30 cents a jig so if you want to save on set up costs this is an alternative but in the long run the moulds are the way to go!!

It's also very satisfying catching big fish on Jig's that you have made and customised to suit the fish your targeting!!

Hope this is the detail you where after,

I'm off to bed,

Cheers,

Mark

G'day boys.
    I've been making my own heads for a few years now. A melting pot definitely makes things easy and it's very handy to have a good selection of moulds. I got mine off a mate, which set me back around 800 bucks for the lot. That included the pot, 6 moulds ranging from 1/8th to 1 1/2 ounce. A dozen different colours to paint them with and a few hooks. I also bought a small oven for painting them with. I've been meaning to get a a couple of smaller moulds to make somebream heads, but haven't got around to it yet. The biggest hooks I use are 8/0's, but the 1/4 ounce 3/0's and 4/0's are the most common I use for chasing flatties and the odd snapper. The only hooks I use are gammy heavy wire. The only thing I've straightened them on are snags and BIG bastard jacks, but I haven't found any hook that I haven't straightened on snags while using heavy gear. (20 or 30 lb braid and 50-80lb leaders) I did see some do-it moulds on the shelf at northside marine a couple of years ago selling for around a 100 bucks each. If anyone is interested in seeing the set up I can take a couple of pics and post them.
    Cheers. Keith..

can anyone tell me where to go for ladles and melting pots ?
    cheers
    mark

Marco
    You can get the pots & ladles from do-it,there is also an online store in Aus that sells them .If I can find it again I'll post it up it's a gun shop I think.Do a google search and you shoul find them somewhere.If your after that powder paint try www.kingstonlures.com.au they stock as few colours.It's all great fun making your own gear and is becoming very popular as the cost of living rises.
    Cheers