Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Sure the stella makes it easier,but people fished before they came about.Alveys has a good feeling and in many cases history.I doubt you going to give the stella to your grandson one day .Besides that you can have the best reel if you dont have the skill to use it.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

There is one small company marketing a side cast centre pin reel in the world now.
    I always thought that replication was the greatest form of flattery ..... good ideas usually are !

Nagg

Replication is easy when they all come out of the same factories in china . :tongue:

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Replication is easy when they all come out of the same factories in china . :tongue:

cheers
    Very true ..... but not always

I loved it when a spruiker in Malaysia said to me " You want to buy a Genuine Rolex copy watch ?" I cracked up

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    [

Does this one count ? Attachment 21954

I wont be using it to fish for reefies though

Nagg
    If i ever need to spend a 1000 dollars on a reel to catch guppies like that or any other fish i will sell my boat,fishing gear the whole lot. I guess some of you guys have more money then sense. I guess you would pay 2000,3000,4000 anything cause you think that without these reels you wont handle a decent fish. What a load of S#@T . I bet any money fish are still lost while fishing with these 1000 dollar reels.

Then maybe we can agree that avey has its place on the beach and stella have there place every where..but i know i can use an avley in most fishing situations..can you ???..
    Last edited by spears; 25-02-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lizard wizard View Post
    If i ever need to spend a 1000 dollars on a reel to catch guppies like that or any other fish i will sell my boat,fishing gear the whole lot. I guess some of you guys have more money then sense. I guess you would pay 2000,3000,4000 anything cause you think that without these reels you wont handle a decent fish. What a load of S#@T . I bet any money fish are still lost while fishing with these 1000 dollar reels.
    Its a lovely little bass ...... caught in wild country ( worth every cent)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Its a lovely little bass ...... caught in wild country ( worth every cent)
    A 5 dollar e bay reel could handle that guppie. I hope you had your 1000 dollar drag syatem done up tight for that one. Your lucky you had it,you might of lost such a grand fish without that reel.

"alvies belong on the beach"
    Yep thats a southerner talking

In the not too distant past along with the pictures and stories of fellas with a lot of money using big overheads on big game style roods off the rocks & other places... there were plenty of pictures of ordinary working class panel van driving guys battling all sorts of monsters with........ big alvies...... thats all they cuold get or afford.

This was in times when we saw pictorial easys in fishing magazines not just a few hundred words and a picture of a bloke or shela holding a fish.

Don't ever say you couln't land XYZ with an Alvey..... because you can bet your boots someone has pictures of just that.

I've got one old mag here that shows a bloke sittin' on his bum on the sand with his heels doug in, big rod bent like a hoola hoop being draged into the surf...pictures show him later with the fish landed..... fabulous series of picks.

Similar pictures of some madman up at fraser in the early days, straped into a home made harness with an enormous rod and the biggest alvey..... he was after sharks.......aparantly there was a bit of a craze up there at the time.

Never underestimate an Alvey or a bloke who knows how to use one.

cheers
    Last edited by oldboot; 25-02-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    THERE ARE ALOT OF FISH OUT THERE THAT AN ALVEY CANT HANDLE! the stella is a super strong and the 20000 holds over 37kilo of drag!. (no way an alvey can do this) not many guys buy stella if they are only bait fishing.
    has anyone seen the IFISH dvd when lee pulled in that massive dog tooth tuna on the stella? that was a 37kilo t,curve jig rod he was using. try stopping that fish on your alvey
    Ive used the big stella's and ive also seen what a 925 alvey can handle. When it comes to bottom bouncing (not jigging) and big fish, dont think the alvey is out gunned by any means....

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    "alvies belong on the beach"
    Yep thats a southerner talking

Never underestimate an Alvey or a bloke who knows how to use one.

cheers
    So true old boot ...

Heres a quick pic of one of many bass ive caught ,not the biggest but still alright. This one was caught on a Halco Scorpion,4lb braid a $50 silstar rod and the reel wasnt an Alvey but i have no doubt i could catch one on a Alvey, it was a $33 Abu reel picked up on special from #####"worth every cent".

this thread is getting funny, but i have gained a bit of respect of the alvey reel

then comes along the guys saying that PPL must be crazy to spend $$$$$ on reels, if you have a spare $$$$ to get a reel why not, each to there own, what business is it where other ppl spend there money, gets me fu@*ed

Daz

I dont give a S#@T what they spend their money on. To me alot of fish are won and lost because of the fishermens ability not how much his reel is worth.
    Last edited by Jimbo73; 25-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Cool Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

For bottom fishing in the 70's we used hand lines, in the 80's we progressed to Alvey's, in the 09's it was TLD's, and now in the year 2008 I use Tekotas and Accurate 665's with bait, but spend 80% of my time Jigging the reef with the 'MIGHTY STELLAS', It must be what is called 'Evolution'' .
    After 40 yrs of working my butt off I can buy and use what reel's I like, so LW you can stick your $33 ABU where the sun don't shine because a hand line can still catch a fish and is cheaper .
    Last edited by GPB; 25-02-2008 at 08:24 PM.