Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mbmp - Don't Vote Labour

Mbmp - Don't Vote Labour

Hi All

Just a thought!

Re The Moreton Bay Marine Park

I started this thread because I seem to keep thinking I am fighting a losing battle.

Most responses we get from the pollies, in power, is that this was done through public consultation, but as far as I'm concerned they used us to find out our fishing spots.

While everyone, including me, has had a whinge, wrote to their MPs, gone to protest meetings, etc, why don't we hit them where it hurts.

I know many would see the Opposition Party as disillusionary but if we all decided, as a protest, to inform the present government we were all going to vote Liberal/National at the next state election wouldn't it get them to sit up and think?

Hate the Liberals/Nationals or not, wouldn't it be better than to reduce your lifestyle for no other reason than a political payback? Noting that there's not much difference in political thought these days.

Sure there's the Fishing Party but I believe the present government would only look at the Liberals/Nationals as any real opposition.

Should we start a campaign to convince all here, friends and relatives, to vote for the opposition, to let the present government know they're going to struggle at the next election unless this insanity is curbed?

Including a poster of a boat rally let's also have one of "Don't vote Labour" at every fishing venue, store and on this site.

I know the election is some way away but I believe the present government will stop and think of the outcome, especially if we kept up the momentum. I would nearly guess the majority of voters on this site would be Labour voters so it would take a lot of ideology change.The Labour government would also know that most of you here voted for them. Your friends (Labour Party) are sleeping with the enemy. Play the bluff, if you must, say you'll vote opposition then vote with your conscious.

This site is surely monitored so I'm sure to cop some critisims from fringe dwellers but use your conscious as a guide.

It needs to be done soon before a final decision is made on the MBMP.

This is a political decision and deserves a political response.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Cheers

Ps I am not a member of any Political Party

Re: Mbmp - Don't Vote Labour

Along the same lines, the last election was the time and place to start making a difference to the bloke fishing next to you.
    Trouble was the recfishing masses are more concerned with voting not to make a difference, for example the Libs simply couldn't win the last election, how much they were going to loose by was the only question, if all (20% even!) of the rec- fishing Lib voters had chosen to make a difference instead of flog a dead horse...but they never will, and the converse stands also for Labour voters loosing the informed rec vote wouldn't have made a difference to them but it would have made a difference overall.

We had a chance to work with the system but petty personal beliefs and personalities waylaid the opportunity.

Without a doubt anyone who voted and/or joined the AFLP well bad luck you were let down, anyone that didn't vote and/or join you are getting what you asked voted for - why complain and jump up and down now these zones and every other future rec-fishing shafting (like the new DPI regs) is your doing purely by not doing.

cheers fnq

You are assuming that a Lib/Nat Qld Gov would overturn the green zones, I asked the question and got the run around. Unless I had a guaranteed "CORE" promise to overturn the zones I'll be giving my vote to the party that best help ME put food on my family's table.
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 03-02-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Also, even the most die hard fisho would have to agree that fishing isnt the most important thing a state government takes care of. I think that voting in a bunch of misfits just because labour doesnt do what you want re fishing areas is fraut with danger.

my 2 cents, and yes I expect a grilling over this post

You have got the misfits part down right.....Who is their leader today?

Is it Springborg, Mark McArdle, Bruce Flegg, Jeff Seeney....Popeye the Sailor.

I am pretty sure that even the labor party would enjoy a little competition now and again and whilst the above named clowns have anything to do with politics then it's plain sailing ahead for the labor party.

By all means put the Labor Party on notice for their Green Deals but you will need more than just the Coalition Circus to worry Anna.

Hi Hamish, no not assuming any government would overturn anything based on one election result, I simply understand that without solid and sitting power in Government we as rec fisherman are but a bug on the windscreen of their ideology ie hat in hand to a landlord asking for fairness and even compassion...not going to happen.

Any recfisherman that put any less than a vote toward changing the situation has nothing to complain about.....in fact they asked for it!!

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 02-02-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Unfortunately it seems that governments of the world are becomeing greener and greener every year.

My other passion is dirt bike riding, where we legally ride registered trail bike in state forests. That ground is also quickly disappearing. Minority groups just dont seem to get listened too. I guess there are probably a heap more fisherman than dirtbike riders, so you guys have that in your favour.

M62 ... You are assuming that a Lib/Nat Qld Gov would overturn the green zones
    Yes, we need to get an iron clad agreement from the Lib/Nat.

Hamsh73 ... I think that voting in a bunch of misfits just because labour doesnt do what you want re fishing areas is fraut with danger.
    Hamish, Aussies who have enjoyed horse riding heritage trails for years have been locked out like we are about too and your trail bike trail is next on the list. How much difference will the misfits make?

Poseidon ... By all means put the Labor Party on notice for their Green Deals but you will need more than just the Coalition Circus to worry Anna
    So how else do we put them on notice? I agree it's a bit of a Circus but if Anna knows a Circus is better than what she's offering will she turn around?

We had a chance to work with the system but petty personal beliefs and personalities waylaid the opportunity.
    That's what I suggesting ... work the system and put aside personal beliefs
    Last edited by castlemaine; 02-02-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish73 View Post
    Unfortunately it seems that governments of the world are becomeing greener and greener every year.

My other passion is dirt bike riding, where we legally ride registered trail bike in state forests. That ground is also quickly disappearing. Minority groups just dont seem to get listened too. I guess there are probably a heap more fisherman than dirtbike riders, so you guys have that in your favour.
    Used to do that ages ago pony express and weekends away with the bikes, good days, the AFLP was for all outdoors users not just rec fisherman.

We would all be a major minority if that relativly large voter block left choosing the next government to those that like to take stuff away for no reason...it's not as if their votes would have changed a majors outcome in all probability but it would have made a hell of a difference for all our outdoors causes, even if the party is in it's early days.

Voting for a major is like authorising a self shafting, the vote made no actual difference to anyone that wouldn't have happened anyway.

cheers fnq

Well come to the boat rally and see what Mike Horan from the nats has to say.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Good idea in theory, but I think most voters base their votes on more than just green zones.

Quote Originally Posted by BaitThrower View Post
    Good idea in theory, but I think most voters base their votes on more than just green zones.
    And why? Because it is the common sense thing to do. Maybe I take my fishing too seriously.

I did not think the AFLP had candidates at the last State election..it was TFP then ..and the greens do not have a seat either..some form of decent lobby group would have been good.
    If there is not enough protest made now, then when they are due for re-examination they will turn every yellow zone into a green zone and expand on the existing green zones because no one made enough noise now

Not happy about it but I'm starting to think if we could get the current plan locked in for 50 years it could be a good deal for us, esp if the Q Gov immediately funded a sh#t load of a arti reefs in the bay. Almost every bit of publicity I hear or read is pro the draft, non anglers I speak to all (100%) think it's a good thing, people who know I fish tell me they can't understand what our prob is ie. 15% v 85%.
    A turtle dies of old age in the the bay and we're a-holes, 2 greeny terorist pirates jump onboard a Jap whaler and get a hot shower and a feed of rice and the press treats them as heroes, it's the times we live in. I'd hate to think what a market research firm would come up with if they sort the gen public's opinion.

I have a few questions that will no doubt raise some eyebrows (and tempers probably )

Is the new plan really that bad??
    Yes I a newby to the sport and dont know that much, but it seems to me that there will still be plenty of places to fish. Talking to people that fished the bay 20 years ago, they say there is no fish there now by comparison. Doesnt that mean if we keep going the way we are in another 20 years it will be even worse?

I fully agree that pollution etc is way worse for the health of the bay than fishing, but surely we need more green zones so there are places where the fish can breed.