Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooli Bar crossing

Re: Wooli Bar crossing

How big do you think those waves are.. Too me they look 4ft, 5ft max.... That 1.2m to 1.6m

Really, that is not a big day. But that's about as big as I would go when crossing a breaking bar...

Geez, is this what you east coaster have to put up with for a day out on the water? How often would you have to encounter that?

Sure makes me appreciate the ease of getting to our grounds here in SA's Gulfs

If it was like that every day, we may change sports to jetskiing ,

thumbs up to the skippers on the day, sometimes you just have to cop what you have committed to, my personal record on Ballina bar is 4 arials, prop & all out of the water , in a row, not fun.

Depends how much you want to go some days.

Interesting that the ocean behind is flat.

Muzz

Its not how big the waves are, its how deep is the water under you.
    If the water sucks out you are in it.
    Some times you cannot judge the break especially in that light, and thats when you find yourself amongst it
    When that happens every-one shuts up holds on and only experience and balls will get you out. as there is NO turning and running.

A LOT OF POWER BEHIND YOU HELPS SH*T LOADS

Love the adrenalin, when i was watch i could feel it, and when you get out and your legs are shaking thats a good sign.........................

Whoo hoo live life on the edge..

Cheers Mark

excellent video, 1st guy got thrown sideways pretty bad

If the 1st guy would have swinged it to the right he would have missed the whole lot of the breakers. Watch the 2nd guy he was onto it, anyone who's riden jetskis etc would have picked it up. Why head straight into the middle of a breaking wave when you can easily go around it He made a hard job out of an easy one..

F*$% That!

I reckon the first guy made a bad call with the sets (most of us are human and make mistakes) then did his best to ride it through, and done a brilliant job. I bet the adrenalin was pumpin when he had to back up a bit then ride a couple more through

Quote Originally Posted by Dean1 View Post
    If the 1st guy would have swinged it to the right he would have missed the whole lot of the breakers. Watch the 2nd guy he was onto it, anyone who's riden jetskis etc would have picked it up. Why head straight into the middle of a breaking wave when you can easily go around it He made a hard job out of an easy one..
    In no way a personal attack Dean, as I've perhaps elluded to here before, I'm no expert on bar crossings, but what u have to say is easily done from the vantage point of ones study or even from atop the rocks, but down there between sets with ya ring clenched tight and ya heart pounding at a million miles an hour, leaving u feeling like its gonna burst out of your chest, I doubt that anyone would have seen the easier way out

Quote Originally Posted by Coontakinta View Post
    In no way a personal attack Dean, as I've perhaps elluded to here before, I'm no expert on bar crossings, but what u have to say is easily done from the vantage point of ones study or even from atop the rocks, but down there between sets with ya ring clenched tight and ya heart pounding at a million miles an hour, leaving u feeling like its gonna burst out of your chest, I doubt that anyone would have seen the easier way out
    I see your point and im no expert either but after riding jetskis for years in the surf and getting pounded, thrown off to the point you think your gonna drown or lose your ski, you soon learn how to read a wave i guess and work out how to get out of some very arkward positions. Its helped my boating skills, its suprising what you can get out of if you have a go and heaps of grunt

Theres always got to be one tosser.
    Great vid fellers cheers.

Ye I think I was a bit harsh on old mate. I had another look at that I hate bars at the best of times, hench why I try to stay away from them. You get pretty cocky on a jetski, my 60's on my boat aint a jetski But I can say I had waves breaking over my canopy last weekend offshore I felt like a submarine

Anyone here have any advice on how these fellas launch large fiberglass boats from the Wooli boat ramp. I have not been there but reading it seems to be a small ramp with no dock or pontoon. Must be a drive on drive off thing with passengers wadding out to the boat?